Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
They missed the deadline. There are consequences for that. Maybe next year the sides will negotiate in better faith.

While I believe there may be some sarcasm in that statement, I think it's right on. Our state blew up the schedule; not NOAA. We don't have to like it, but as the ones responsible for the delay, the costs fall to us. That's the way the world works. To argue otherwise, while it may be more fun and somewhat satisfying, is unreasonable.

The thing that troubles me about the way this is shaking out is that the existing, obviously broken process is remaining intact. In the end, all we will have to show for our efforts to blow up the out-dated status quo will be a shortened, limited season. Next time the forecasts don't leave enough ESA impacts to keep everyone fishing as usual (most likely next year), our options will be A, cave to unfair tribal demands and give up fisheries entirely or B, repeat the cluster**** we enjoyed so much this year, then get delayed starts to limited fisheries.

We should have insisted on changing the rules of the game or abolishing co-management in Puget Sound altogether. Short of that, why should we expect anything to change for the better?

I would suggest that not reaching an agreement was the direct result of:

1. The tribes not submitting their proposals in a timely manner so as to allow the State to consider it prior to entering negotiations and

2. Not rolling over to unreasonable demands by the tribes (hard to recover lost ground) and

3. At least one of the tribes apparently throwing an issue I do not consider within the scope of NOF into the mix (Skokomish).

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)