Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#986528 - 03/08/18 07:13 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens
Backtrollin brings up a great point. As I witnessed a group of 4 bank fisherman last weekend wading right through a well known spawning flat. Thankfully it is probably a little early, but nonetheless. I cringed watching them shuffle, stumble and hop through the flat.

#986531 - 03/09/18 07:13 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
This conversation isn't going as I'd hoped.

I've been fishing the Skagit and Sauk Rivers since 1972. It has been rare for me to experience any conflict between gear types or boat and bank fishing methods. There have been a few times while I was fly fishing from the bank and boon-doggers in a boat floated and fished through the water I was fishing, but overall it has been really uncommon. So in my opinion all the ranting about fly and conventional gear conflict and boat and bank fishing conflict is being way over blown.

The conflict that has me concerned, and I hope it concerns you as well, is between those who want the river to remain closed to steelhead fishing and those of us who want the season to open. That is why I started this thread, and I thank all of you who have called or emailed to express your support for the Skagit season.

Sg

I agree. We/I, could be overreacting to such a great opportunity. But I am sorry to say this is not 1972, or even pre 2000 berfore things really started to change. I know how you feel because I have been fortunate enough to have steelheaded back then. Things are different now. I fear aggressiveness to obtain an edge for success is at it's peak now more than ever, with little respect for the fish, people, or traditional historical river etiquette. Etiquette, that presently scarcely exists. Etiquette that I learned, not to low hole either on the bank or in a boat, to start atop of a run and keep moving working a stretch. To work behind someone that got there first, or pass and move on. Part of the reason I hardly winter fish any more. I think you can thank the crowds and guides for that. The pressure to produce for paying customers has fd up the experience for others. That's why it has come to a debate on what regulations still might produce the 1972 or pre 2000 river fishing experience. That's why BC has a "Class" river system. Maybe a system that would work for the Skagit? Christ, now I'm probably starting to sound like a WFC guy. I hope not and am not. I hope none of the negatives in this discussion comes fruition, and if I/we get to participate, I will do my part to make the best happen. Thanks to you and everyone else that has got us this far.

Edited by RUNnGUN (03/09/18 07:19 AM)

#986532 - 03/09/18 07:21 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
R&G hits a really sore nail square on the head. Population has grown. Even if the number of anglers or hunters hasn't changed, the amount of available land and access has. There are significantly less places open to fish or hunt.

40 years ago you could have joined what were the hordes at the Cowlitz, or gone many other streams and run into nobody else. The complaint from the Coast as Pugetopolis closes everything so we pile out there. Was the Skok "that bad" in the 70s or 80s or did it get that was as the only game in town?

Available area to recreate is declining. The most likely solution will be either WDFW finding some way to limit access, behavior will improve, or folks will go elsewhere.

#986543 - 03/09/18 09:58 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

With only a few weeks remaining until the end of April, how about we try the 2018 season. If the feared "parade of horribles" does occur, then we ask WDFW to make the necessary social engineering modifications, whatever that might be.

#986549 - 03/09/18 01:18 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
With only a few weeks remaining until the end of April, how about we try the 2018 season. If the feared "parade of horribles" does occur, then we ask WDFW to make the necessary social engineering modifications, whatever that might be.

Salmo you know I kind of had a feeling if the foot dragging went on long enough they could put it off till next year.

On a lighter note where might the long awaited announcement come from? Will it be like a Papal vote with white or black smoke from a chimney? laugh

Edited by OLD FB (03/09/18 01:18 PM)

#986552 - 03/09/18 02:23 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
WDFW has budget & staff for a 6 week season already hired, but since we arent fishing, they are on to other tasks burning creel money we should be fishing with. Word is that once NOAA approves, we could be fishing in hours. E-communications are drafted and await the send button. It's more likely that once it is approved we would have 48 hours until we can start.

#986627 - 03/12/18 04:27 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

I've just heard that NOAA approval will take at least one more week. Sand is slipping through the hourglass on a decent season, this sucks.

#986628 - 03/12/18 04:31 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Shoot, I heard earlier this morning that NMFS would be finished before the end of the week, "barring unforeseen circumstances."

#986693 - 03/14/18 04:47 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: BroodBuster]
steeleywhopper Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish county
Originally Posted By: BroodBuster
If that’s what they decide I don’t want any Spey guys bitching and moaning about a bunch of spoon and drift guys ruining “their” bar.

Get 15 buddies together and turn that WFC fly flicking bar into a pallet burning, beer drinking, Plunking bar. Fuk the WFC!

#986694 - 03/14/18 05:15 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: steeleywhopper]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: steeleywhopper
Originally Posted By: BroodBuster
If that’s what they decide I don’t want any Spey guys bitching and moaning about a bunch of spoon and drift guys ruining “their” bar.

Get 15 buddies together and turn that WFC fly flicking bar into a pallet burning, beer drinking, Plunking bar. Fuk the WFC!

Is there a sign up sheet? Should we make it a potluck? Would some loud rock and a stripper or three be in bad taste?

#986704 - 03/14/18 07:57 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
I'll start building plunking shacks...... If you're in need of plywood or blue tarps don't expect to find any within 50 miles of the Skagit. grin

rofl

#986878 - 03/16/18 09:55 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
March 17th approaches tonight....Tick....Tock.... Sand is slipping through the hourglass of this "season" and yes it definitely sucks... SMH tonight!

#986881 - 03/17/18 07:07 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Well, whats the latest? With my Columbia Springer gear just about ready, and the prime timing coming close, I am almost ready to abandon this opener and go for some 5 star, blue ribbon, creme de la creme, prime Spring Chinook for the table. Other buddies prepping for EW trout. Someone should be held accountable for this delay. Can anything be done? I think some civil disobedience is in order.

#986882 - 03/17/18 09:03 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I'm told that the EA is finished, but the "ESA stuff" (meaning the BO I presume) is not. Starting Monday morning it wouldn't hurt to fill Barry Thom's email and phone again, mentioning that the Feb. 1 - Apr. 30 season is now half over, and no one has been able to wet a line, thanks to NMFS' delay. Let's try this again.

Sg

#986884 - 03/17/18 12:28 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The season being half over but nobody being able to fish would be important if anybody at NOAA actually fished steelhead. The fishery is nothing more than numbers on paper.

#986950 - 03/20/18 09:32 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
I made the call this morning to Barry Thom, NMFS Regional Administrator but only was able to talk to his secretary. No news yet but she made it sound like she's not getting that many phone calls from sportsman. She did give me another NMFS administrator's phone number who is suppose to also have a hand in getting the Skagit open. I didn't get his last name but his first name is Peter and his work number is 206-526-6734. I'd say if we want the Skagit open this season, WE better start bugging them a whole bunch more!

#986977 - 03/20/18 05:15 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

I just heard the Skagit will open next Thursday, 5 days a week Wednesday through Sunday through the end of April. Only new rules is no fishing from a motorized craft in the Sauk. Go time.

#986981 - 03/20/18 06:18 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Perfect. Just in time for my Columbia Springer week off up to it's closing. Bassturds! Wonder if they planned it to reduce competition? They probably read this board! Well, it worked on me. I'm goin for table fare. It will be a week into before I endeavor. Oh well, I'll take leftovers when I return. If it is true, thanks SG and to all that made it happen! Maybe a trend will be set for an earlier season and more rivers in the future. Good luck to all and tread lightly!

#986991 - 03/21/18 07:11 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
I just heard the Skagit will open next Thursday, 5 days a week Wednesday through Sunday through the end of April. Only new rules is no fishing from a motorized craft in the Sauk. Go time.

I assume this actually means "no motorized craft on the Sauk", since no fishing from a motorized craft is what the rule always has been?

I hope it means that...as this actually addresses my concern posted above wink

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#986992 - 03/21/18 07:12 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
I just heard the Skagit will open next Thursday, 5 days a week Wednesday through Sunday through the end of April.

Anyone got any good tips for this fishery?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |