Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#990394 - 06/16/18 08:30 AM Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
Putting my boat in at Chinook Marina, Fished area last year and was not impressed, had my boat at Tyee Marina, that dock is crap, trip over protruding nails and boards, caught some kings but nothing over 16lbs (I had been fishing out of DesMoines for 30 years). I see they closed the area east of the Cliff House and Anchored Navy Ships. Use to fish Pt Defiance area for spring Kings and it was good, but that was years ago.
Just wondering if any of you have been fishing area 11 south end

#990460 - 06/19/18 08:41 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
It's on and off, depending on where the baitfish are. Fished the Point yesterday and today, lost one at the boat, saw no nets out. LAst week was lights out! Had 8 seals/sea lions just north of the POint this AM. They have been doing well!!
LOTS of dogfish moved in this week. Sorry for the pessimistic news!

Average size blackmouth is 8-10#, getting smaller every year.

#990648 - 06/24/18 03:49 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Took a friend and his guest on a boat ride to Pt Evens. We jigged the tide change. Foul hooked a herring and used it as bait for the guest's line. He caught the only fish of the day.

Nice 10lb chinook.

#991177 - 07/13/18 08:11 AM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
Picked up a 10 lbr 2 days ago at BP on low tide, will try again on todays low,

#991199 - 07/13/18 05:20 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
Silver1 Offline
Fry

Closed now Tuesday thru Thursday starting next week. We went from no quota and lotsa opportunity, to a quota, and now a closure 3 days a week. Early shot of unexpected hatchery fish and blackmouth, so summer season cut in half. Oh well, there's always crabbing. Uh, no.

#991209 - 07/13/18 10:44 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Well on the one hand that sucks balls, but on the other hand I think we're lucky we can still fish area 11 at all. From what I saw around the Point in the first two weeks of June, they dealt on the 5300+ quota fish in a great big hurry (albeit most were BM and shorts of course). Big fleet, lots of double digit fish days. We should just be happy they didn't shutter down altogether (yet).

fb

#991242 - 07/16/18 12:47 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: Silver1]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2170

Wow! I told my friend to expect to go on the Gig Harbor side Wednesday. Guess we will not have lunch at the Tides Tavern. lame

#991255 - 07/16/18 02:28 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
You can always run down to MA13 or launch out of the promised multi-lane launch at Chambers Bay. What launch you ask? Well, the one promised by Pierce County if we would support purchase of that property with our vote. And which has yet to be constructed. Or you can become a member of TOA and launch there. Oops, sorry, Metro Parks has let that slide into oblivion. Bottom line, there is NO general public deep water launch on Pierce County's eastern shore south of Point Defiance. Shameful!!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#991362 - 07/19/18 10:41 AM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

I have to agree Larry, seems at best incongruent that there's so much "opportunity" in MA13, but so little access.

fb

#991363 - 07/19/18 11:05 AM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I'm really surprised there is such a small king quota for MA 11.
Is there a certain stock they are trying to protect...maybe White River springers?

We'll see if another 20-40K show up at Tumwater and the Nisqually this year.

That is a lot of missed opportunity.....
Oh, and let's not forget about another 30K on the Skok.
SF

Edited by stonefish (07/19/18 11:06 AM)

#991367 - 07/19/18 12:45 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
I would think they have to do something to protect from the classic "low holing" that is the Puget Sound. After all if all the fish were taken in MA 9 for example how ticked off would you be in MA 11. All of this is a compromise after all.

#991368 - 07/19/18 01:08 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
Krijack Online   content
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
The Deschutes got over 30,000 surplus and minter got about 8000 surplus adults, the Nisqually is not reported, but I think they got 26000 surplus. The Puyallup go around 6000 surplus at the main hatchery, no idea how many the tribe may have gotten at the Clarks Creek hatchery. So, roughly 70,000 that could have been caught without problem. Then, just as interesting is the jack counts. The Deschutes is fairly normal with a number equal to about 10% of the adults. Minter creek had 4198 jacks compared to 10116 adults and the Puyallup had 3997 jacks compared to 5599 adults.

If jacks are an indicator to the total run count, and if other areas are reducing their impacts, is there any reason for the reduced takes that are being allowed? My gut feeling is that the high harvest rates are indicative of what is available. Expect even higher surpluses back to the hatcheries.

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but the Nisqually is not allowing any coho take this year. The last time this happened the fish were there, the tribe started netting and we were not allowed a season until the run was over. I know for most of you none of this effects you, but it is very reflective of how the department seems to set their seasons.

Edited by Krijack (07/19/18 01:14 PM)

#991369 - 07/19/18 01:17 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
There was an article last September in the Olympian that estimated they might get 40K back to the Nisqually.
I'm not sure how many fish they ended up with our handed out at the hatchery.

I understand the trickle down affect, but that applies to MA 9 as well.
Its not like any MA 9 stocks aren't caught before they hit that area.

It just seems to me, especially in the south sound with mostly hatchery fish and large surplus hatchery returns that MA 11 should have a higher quota then 5,300 fish.
SF

Edited by stonefish (07/19/18 01:18 PM)

#991370 - 07/19/18 02:06 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
I was merely using MA9 as an example. Area 13 is the last in line and it can be a little frustrating to hear the areas north of there complaining about wanting more fish when 13 has really gone to hell. Just saying

#991373 - 07/19/18 02:52 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
The NIsqually had something like 20-30k Surplus hatchery Chinook last year. maybe the fishermen suck down that way??? slap

#991376 - 07/19/18 03:56 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It all gets caught up in impacts. The Nisqually and Puyallup have wild stocks of Falls that limit fisheries, even in the river. Unless you fish very selectively, a method with zero mortality, there will be that surplus at the hatchery.

Back in the 70s WDF was getting surpluses at the Chinook hatcheries, particularly in streams with good hatcheries but wild management (such as the Green). They reduced the problem of surpluses by reducing the escapement goal. There is a balance point, easily calculated, that would match the wild run with how large the hatchery program should be to not have surpluses. Unfortunately, on many of our streams, the wild run is so small that not much artificial production should occur.

#991378 - 07/19/18 04:09 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: Sky-Guy]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
The NIsqually had something like 20-30k Surplus hatchery Chinook last year. maybe the fishermen suck down that way??? slap

I fished it half a dozen times last season for two fish to the boat and may have seen roughly the same number caught by other boats. “Suck” might be the correct word for it but not necessarily in the context Sky-Guy used.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#991380 - 07/19/18 04:41 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
An unfortunate thing about those south sound Chinook is that they bite worse and worse the farther south they go...and then there are just a couple of spots where they seem to randomly feed, and then a lot of spots full of non-biting fish.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#991394 - 07/20/18 11:19 AM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

The low quota in 11 may be attributable to the low allowable impact on a sparse protected Puyallup stock, or to the strong bargaining power of the Puy tribe, or a combination of the two. Certainly not a reflection of the expected strong hatchery returns on the tribs of 11/13. True they do go off the bite more the closer they get to their destination tribs. You guys should definitely stay up at Possession, MCB, CQ, Neah, WP. . .the fishing sucks down here wink

fb

#991431 - 07/20/18 06:29 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: Todd]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

I've had terrible results around the clay banks. I have fished it probably 7-8 times and zippo. I just usually go no farther Than Browns point/ Dash Point. I always had good luck with the Silvers there.

- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |