Ok, I know it is not somewhere most of you care about, but it is fairly near to me, provides a fairly high quality fish that will readily bite eggs if not harassed, is easily fished from the shore, and has good numbers. So, if the snagging could be controlled, it could actually be a fairly good fishery. That said, about 1.5 years ago I emailed the department and communicated with the person who was said to be in charge of the area. At that time he told me that the tribe was just waiting for a reasonable proposition to control the fishery and that he was sure something would be worked out. Then came the departments announcement in the spring of last year that they would not back down and we would be fishing. Of course, when the NOF came up, they caved and it was shut back down At that time the State would not comment, but the Tribe stated that it was not really discussed and that they were willing to talk. With that back ground, I decided to email the State and see what was going on. I am not sure if I should copy and post the responses I got back so I will just paraphrase. Basically my contact stated that when the tribal leadership from all the tribes informed the state that if they would not discuss the Skokomish at NOF and that if State tried to discuss it or open a season they would all walk away from negotiations and essentially shut down the state fishery . Of course, the state gave in and we got no season. Of course, they say that trying to get it open again this year and are supposed to start talking about opening it up, but I have little faith that it will happen. I am totally unsure if putting pressure on the groups is better, or to allow them to continue lying and hope that by not revealing the truth both sides may try to come out looking like they are actually working together. If the truth comes out, will the tribes simply get ticked off and walk away from any negotiations. It really is hard to say.

There should be several areas of concern if the above scenario is true

1. This means the Tribes can dictate terms and basically shut us out of just about any individual fishery at any time.

And

2. The tribes have no problem openly lying and the state will not correct them or stand up for themselves

and

3. The state is afraid to reveal what is really going on at NOF.

The reason I was told the state is giving in goes back to what has been stated by others. The State is afraid that the Tribes will sue and claim that if the ESA numbers dictate a fishery, they get 100% of the allowable take, as needed, to get their 50% share . Essentially, any conservation measures first apply to the state and then to the tribes. If ESA dictates that only a 4% take and the tribe needs it to get their 50% of harvestable fish, then no one else fishes. I assume that they would still be subject to the 4% take, but would be allocated all of it, meaning they still might not get their total 50%, but would be allowed 100% of the total harvest.

Hopefully I understood it all, but I think that is the essence of what is going on. I think the state is in error on this, but they are unwilling to take any chances. Unfortunately it really does feel like the end of fishing is coming. With the tribes starting their own hatcheries and the state cutting down their numbers, there may be very little leverage the state will have. I understand the dilemma, and I have no answer, but I am upset that the public was basically lied to.

Edited by Krijack (02/18/19 11:12 AM)