LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136575 - 01/22/02 01:16 AM Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
My wife and I are both teachers, Hence, living in the Greater Seattle area we are having a tough time finding a home. We looked at a home in Yelm and made an offer. I was also thrilled to see the Nasty run through there. Do the fish make it up that high. If so, can it compare with the puyallup or carbon? Buying a new home depends heavily on the fishing opportunity

#136576 - 01/22/02 01:36 AM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
See the regs! I'm not sure if fishing is allowed that high. Tank crossing may be the deadline!

FJ...out.

#136577 - 01/22/02 04:24 AM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
Migrating_Smolt Offline
Parr

Loc: Yelm, WA, USA
FJ,
You are correct. For Salmon, below the tank X-Ing... There are 5 lakes within 20 minutes of Yelm (Trout, Bass, Catfish, Perch, etc.). The Nisqually above the Tank X-Ing is good Trout water. See link to read about Steelhead on the Nisqually (Steelhead on the Nisqually thread) .

#136578 - 01/22/02 10:14 AM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
If you are looking to move to Thurston County, Yelm is not a bad choice. Even though it boomed up in the last 15 years it is still a quite town.

#136579 - 01/22/02 08:04 PM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Not to make anyone who lives in Yelm mad, but I work law enforcement in that area (7th Ave south to Yelm) and have to say that it is meth-ville, but fishing on the Nasty is not bad. If you and your wife are looking for a house, I would have to say that getting one out in Orting or Sumner would be a better bet, especially if you have kids. I see a lot of TAs (traffic accidents) on 7 Ave, and like I said before, crime is relatively high in that area. And yes the tank xing is the highest you can go. Most of the fish stop at the hatchery on Fort Lewis, but if you have a pontoon, or like to walk, the stretch from Yelm down to Nisqually is great rafting/trout water.

-George Orwell

#136580 - 01/22/02 10:01 PM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

haverod, what's your take on Eatonville?

FJ...out.

#136581 - 01/22/02 10:39 PM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

FJ,
I think that Eatonville is great, like Orting, and Sumner, but not trashy like East Fort Lewis/Yelm/Roy area (sorry locals). I have spent so much time on E Fort Lewis, and on the Nisqually running all the meth-heads out of there, it just doesn't seem great to me to raise a family there, if it's your backyard, and you like it, fine, I just don't. I see far too much crime down on the Thurston/Pierce County line. But I still like to fish the Nisqually near Mounts Road and the town of Nisqually. What I like about Eatonville is that there doesn't seem to be as many dump sites, and it is closer to the mountains...best of both worlds: hunting and fishing.

-George Orwell

#136582 - 01/22/02 10:40 PM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

FJ,
I think that Eatonville is great, like Orting, and Sumner, but not trashy like East Fort Lewis/Yelm/Roy area (sorry locals). I have spent so much time on E Fort Lewis, and on the Nisqually running all the meth-heads out of there, it just doesn't seem great to me to raise a family there, if it's your backyard, and you like it, fine, I just don't. I see far too much crime down on the Thurston/Pierce County line. But I still like to fish the Nisqually near Mounts Road and the town of Nisqually. What I like about Eatonville is that there doesn't seem to be as many dump sites, and it is closer to the mountains...best of both worlds: hunting and fishing. E mail me for more opinions.

-George Orwell

#136583 - 01/22/02 10:47 PM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
ever give any thought to the grays harbor area? shelton,elma, montesano etc. close to just about all the great op rivers.

#136584 - 01/22/02 10:50 PM Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

With those type of influences my business would surely go down the tubes!

FJ...out.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |