THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#498047 - 03/26/09 04:32 PM Is this even possible? A true story.
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
So I have a sale offer on my house. We accepted. The inspector comes and in his report says we have a pest problem below the house, probably a skunk or opossum. My house is 4 years old and I know all the foundation vents are in place so I am perplexed. We haven't heard a sound, or smelled anything weird. So last night I got home and dropped down in the crawl space, wearing one of those white plastic coveralls.

There is no doubt at this point an animal has been in there. There is turds everywhere and the animal has walked over the HVAC pipes in a few locations. I look and there are claw marks in the plastic where the animal crossed the pipes. The claw marks are small, like a cat's or possibly an oppossums would look. Let me explain the scat, it is all bigger in diameter than a nickel, maybe a little less than a quarter. It is for the most part 3-6" long. It is everywhere, so I start rolling up the vapor barrier, and repairing the places in the insulation that need it.

Finally, I find where the animal has gotten into the crawl space. It is directly under my front door. Somehow, it pushed through the crawlspace vent, breaking the mesh completely off the plastic. I know this vent was in place when I built the porch over it in 2005. The hole is about 6x6, or standard foundation vent size.

I find a couple of bird carcasses along the eges of the crawl.

I am on my way back to the crawlspace opening with my plastic and looking around I see a pair of eyes about 15 feet ahead of me and to my left. I am dragging one of these work lights that takes a regular incandescant bulb with me. I put it up and get a quick view of the animal, and initially think "Its a cat". There are some feral cats in the area, and this definitely looks like a cat. The face is mottled grey/brown the color of a coyote in my mind.

Anyways it slinks back where I can't see it, and I really don't feel like getting much closer unarmed so I drag everything out and leave the animal in there, or to leave as it sees fit. I have some of the turds in a box and got on line to check.

It is a 100% match with bobcat turds. I mean everything, down to the coloring and size.

Is that even possible? Have any of you heard of a bobcat living in a crawl space? I have no doubt one could fit through that hole.

Well anyways tonight we are going back in with better lights and a 22, to see if we can evict it permanently. I might have a sentry out on the deck with a shotgun and buckshot, because I think it would be really cool to have a bobcat skull in my garage to go with this weird story.

#498050 - 03/26/09 04:37 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Rocket Red]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

not that i am against you shooting a bobcat, but you could into some trouble if you do....

#498051 - 03/26/09 04:43 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: dewbie]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Its a bobcat that lives under my house, I am not going to scratch under his throat and ask him to leave. . . but you are right, I should call a GW, and advise about the situation.

I will do that. One lives real close to me.

#498052 - 03/26/09 04:46 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Rocket Red]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

my buddy killed a bob cat that was living in his barn, some one over heard him tell a friend about, reported him, and he got a fine because he didnt have the proper license...

#498053 - 03/26/09 04:47 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Rocket Red]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
I wouldn't call a GW you'l have years of environmental impact statements, Bio assessments etc... I'd do what had to be done and practice the 3 S's.

Or just plan on outliving the Bobcat....

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#498054 - 03/26/09 04:50 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: RowVsWade]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

could you explain the 3 S's?

#498055 - 03/26/09 04:51 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Rocket Red]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
RR-

if it's just the smell that's a problem, maybe you can use these somehow
wink
http://www.garmentguard.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=8

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#498056 - 03/26/09 04:52 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: RowVsWade]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Call me if you need back-up. I can be there in 10 minutes. I'll bring the .458.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#498057 - 03/26/09 04:53 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Mikespike]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Mikespike
RR-

wink

what exactly were you searching for when you stumbled on this site??? rofl

#498058 - 03/26/09 04:53 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: RowVsWade]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

I definitely don't want to get a fine, and I definitely do want to sell my house. We might have to just use firecrackers and lights to scare it off then seal its hole up. I'm still not going down there unarmed though.

#498059 - 03/26/09 04:55 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Rocket Red]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

id shoot the bastard...i was just giving you a friendly warning. smile

#498060 - 03/26/09 04:59 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: dewbie]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
I want in on that action.

#498061 - 03/26/09 04:59 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: dewbie]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Originally Posted By: dewbie
Originally Posted By: Mikespike
RR-

wink

what exactly were you searching for when you stumbled on this site??? rofl

It was on the Sports Illustrated site - here's the story, which is pretty good! But then, when aren't farts funny?

http://bensbiz.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/03/whether_its_the_fifth_third.html

#498062 - 03/26/09 05:00 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Rocket Red]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

POP IT ! Not sure a .458 is large enough DF....got anything bigger? rofl

- Albert Einstein.

#498063 - 03/26/09 05:01 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Dogfish]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

DF-

will you eat it if you shoot it, like your avatar implies? do you have a recipe for bobcat? I can't find one in the tips section of PP. smile

#498064 - 03/26/09 05:01 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Mikespike]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

ive had cougar, but never bobcat....although im sure they taste like chicken

#498083 - 03/26/09 05:54 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Dogfish]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

To blast more exit holes??

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#498087 - 03/26/09 05:58 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Rocket Red]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Rocket Red
I definitely don't want to get a fine, and I definitely do want to sell my house. We might have to just use firecrackers and lights to scare it off then seal its hole up. I'm still not going down there unarmed though.

Call the guy we were talking about that lives up the road from you if you want to know. I doubt he is going to give you a hard time about anything.

#498088 - 03/26/09 05:59 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: Jerry Garcia]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
The ending to this story is shaping up to be a Dark Side Hall o Famer...

#498105 - 03/26/09 06:54 PM Re: Is this even possible? A true story. [Re: fish4brains]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: fish4brains
Originally Posted By: Rocket Red

Call the guy we were talking about that lives up the road from you if you want to know. I doubt he is going to give you a hard time about anything.

I'm going to, and I'm sure you are right about what his response will be. This is a definite nuisance animal, you should see my crawl space, also it is an animal that has learned to live under houses.

One of my other buddy's from McCleary has been e-mailing me all day. He is so gung ho about this that he arranged for baby sitting for my kids just so we could go down there. He said he has enough "spot lights and small arms to do the job".

What is in that aquifer Dogfish?

I really hope that it is not down there today, and that I can just seal it out. My luck is he will shoot a pipe and then I'll end up having to do more repairs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |