Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#245714 - 06/05/04 01:08 AM Sportfishing PAC
CDSeattle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville, WA
I just got my copy of the Reel News and read the article on page 12 about the Washington Sportfishing political action committee (PAC). We now have a group that is properly registered and can support (financially) political candidates who are sportfishing proponents.

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!

We now have an opportunity to support the candidates that will help us secure better sportfishing opportunities. We can get the right people in our legislature - who will get the right people in the Fish Management committees. This is how we can make a difference and get our legislature to become more sportfishing friendly.

PSA, TU, RFA can't provide support to representatives that favor sportfishing. They do an excellent job fighting for our rights within the current system, but can't provide financial assistance to the campaign funds of candidates who can change the system in our favor.

The commercial fishing groups are lining up behind their candidates and we need to do the same.

Please get a copy of Reel News and read the article or send a $10 donation to
Washington Sportfishing PAC
PO Box 11956
Olympia, WA 98508

If you have thousands of dollars tied up in fishing gear, you can't afford not to send in $10 to help secure your future fishing rights.

Am I crazy or is this something to get excited about??

#245715 - 06/05/04 07:53 AM Re: Sportfishing PAC
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
The answer to improvement of our sports fishing opportunities is politics. And the answer to success in politics is money. The commercials and the tribes figured this out a long time ago and get things to go their way more than we do. We are a group of good old boys who like to sit around and complain about our fate but we are unwilling to get involved and are tight fisted with our cash.

Consider this.....On this BB Bob has had a few raffles and alot of the folks here swarm all over those like white on rice...But put up a PAC to help work in Olympia for sports fishing rights and we look the other way....What's up with that? If you want things to c hange you better understand where the changes will come from.....politics....the laws and appropriations.....politicians must have money to run for office and stay in office so they can get on the right committes and make a difference. There are some up and coming sports fishing friendly men and women that need our support and the best way to support them is through a PAC.....

#245716 - 06/06/04 10:29 AM Re: Sportfishing PAC
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
GP is right on how the political game works in the US, like it or not. If you want to win, you have to play by the established rules.

#245717 - 06/14/04 03:35 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

The apparent lack of intrest in the subject of this thread vividly illustrates the reason that sport anglers consistently get screwed when fisheries are allocated. Lots of talk, but no action.

PAC's do more than just contribute to political campaigns. They provide politicians with "their side of the story".

I have mailed my donation and will push for my chapter of PSA to make a signicant contribution as well.

#245719 - 06/14/04 07:53 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I agree AM. Even though I have only attended a few PSA meetings/presentations I paid my dues the last two years. This year I couldn't make it to pay with all that's going on for me. I was sent an email advising that my membership was expiring and I would lose my subscription to The Reel News. I sent an email back to the address mentioned asking if there was another way, check, visa, etc for me to pay and never got a response. The PSA site should have a paypal method or at least a mail address to renew. But, I am about to have lot's of free time so I could get off my A and go pay too although I should be saving every penny.

#245720 - 06/15/04 01:18 AM Re: Sportfishing PAC
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
Stay tuned for some exciting news in the next 30 days. Washington is on the verge of some exciting ACTION when it comes to sports fishing enhancements. We always complain about sports fishing's poor track record getting things to go its way. We can't agree and we can't seem to organize.

I submit that if Bob Ball can get a huge response to a raffle on PP from this group of folks with results over the internet from a drawing out of a paper sack the sports fishing community can band together and make some real progress to benefit all.

Like I said: Stay tuned.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#245721 - 06/15/04 10:47 AM Re: Sportfishing PAC
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Aunty,

This PAC is less than 6 weeks old. It is currently staffed with 100% volunteer help. My optimistic hope is that once the WORD gets out, this organization will really take off and be a "force to be reconned with".

I would assume that a website is in their plans. Hopefully the near future. I think you have an excellent idea to solicit contributions through pay-pal once the site is up.

My immediate concern is that the initial response will be so dissapointing that the organization will die in it's infancy - that would be a shame.

#245722 - 06/15/04 11:30 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
CDSeattle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Twice a month I have to sit down and pay my bills - most of them I pay over the internet, but I have to write a couple checks each month. I just stuck a note in my stack of bills with the address for this PAC to remind me to send in a contribution.

I'm not a rich man, but I love to fish and have 2 small children that enjoy fishing with their daddy. I sent $20.

#245723 - 06/16/04 09:06 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Just about any fisherman you want to talk to will either say the tribes or WDFW have ruined fishing here in our state. When you ask them to donate a couple of bucks to make things better it is tough to find a handful..The PAC and some other things on the horizon will make a big difference for the future of sports fishing of all kinds. Isn't that worth a couple of bucks and a few minutes to send it off?

#245724 - 06/17/04 01:19 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
Full Freezer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Grandpa & SlabQuest,

I have attended the majority of the PSA meetings since signing up in November at the big feast. I joined with hopes that the Sno-King Chapter would be more politically active that it has shown to be. During the meetings I've attended no one has stepped up to address the guests & memberships and encourage them to attend up-comming Compacts, Meetings and other vitally important happenings that affect sportfisherpeople. IF you have while I was absent, please accept my apologies. Don't get me wrong, I absolutley love my club & have learned ALOT from both of you, but, I would hope that we could use our chapter as a platform to raise awareness and encourage participation & JUST SHOW UP to these meetings! I'm not saying you guys don't contribute cause you do, but a little time could be set aside during the meeting to discuss what we could do as a group and throw our collective weight behind issues that could benefit our interests (like you did for the crab convoy!). As I see it, you both & Ron are the players here and are really comfortable up there runnin' the show. (It's a really good show!) A couple of times I felt like standing up & saying something but I didn't want to step on your toes.

So far the meetings I've attended, Commission/WDFW meeting in Oly, WA/OR Compact meet in Oregon City & the BPA/ACE spill meet Monday I haven't seen a single Sno-King member besides myself. Granted, I could have posted something or stood up during the meeting but usualy the opportunity didn't present itself or it was a last minute thing (like BPA's Meeting in OR), thats why I think if we remind everyone of whats comming we could organize a car pool or something.

We got the crap beat out of us there (spill meet), and that has brought me to the point where I can no longer just stand around in hopes that sooner or later everybody wakes up from their nap. Sorry, I wanted to just relay my feelings and do not take this as public flogging. I appreciate everything you guys do and are very happy that you are all involved as you are. Maybe we could elect a "Political Officer" who would update the body every month?? NO, I'm not volunteering cause I have other meetings to attend on some Tuesday nights! Just an idea.

Thanks Again.

Jim

#245725 - 06/17/04 07:42 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

FF,

You are correct that we usually don't devote much general meeting time to fishing politics (which is actually the really important stuff). There has been some very relevant political info at some meetings. And last year EVERY member got a free 1 year membership to the RFA.

When we dwell on the political issues that are very important to us, we can see the eyes glazing over and overall restlessness developing in the crowd. The last thing we want to do is lose the intrest of our general membership. They mainly come to the meetings to have fun and learn how to fish and expect us to do the less enjoyable political maneuverings - which is OK, I guess. I really wish more members woud express the kind of intrest you are showing.

If you want to see the behind the scenes action, I strongly urge you to attend one of our board meetings (details on our website). Then you will see what your chapter is really all about - we are VERY active in supporting political elements that benefit sport anglers..

And now that you mention it, our next meeting will have a completely different flavor (literally). It will be an old fashoned BBQ and raffle with all proceeds going to the RFA. There will be RFA officials present to describe the organization and announce the formation of the NEW Washington Chapter! (hope I haven't let the cat out of the bag prematurely).

#245726 - 06/17/04 08:02 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
Grandpa and Slab, as you know am too a Sno king member and have been quite amazed at how you (2) and Fishnut have taken that chapter and made it into what it is now. But if you'll indulge me, what are the top (3) areas of sport fishing in Puget Sound that Puget Sound Anglers have achieved in terms of influencing better opportunities for sport fishing? I know, it's easy for me to sit back and ask that when I don't put in the time that you guys do, but with a young family, that's not my priority right now.

#245727 - 06/17/04 08:46 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

The new website for the PAC is up and running

http://home.comcast.net/~wasportfishingpac/

#245728 - 06/17/04 09:09 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Full Freezer and Jeff...First I want to thank you for supporting our chapter by signing up as members. We really have taken this club from next to nothing to the most aggressive and fastest growing chapter in the state. So what good has that done? Well let me go into some detail:

First of all, we have been in a building mode for a year and a half. No small feat to create something that is attractive enough to pack the Edmonds Yacht Club most months. No small feat to put those meetings on and hold the interest of those who trust us enough to join. We have devoted much of our meeting time for instructive presentations to help the new fishers learn how to do what we all love to do so much which is fish. We have attracted families and kids to the club as active and equal members. Many of the kids are some our most avid fishermen and most helpful.With that said, we , as an individual chapter, have not changed anything on our own. We have, however, joined the other chapters to devote time and resources to such things as the North of Falcon process and WDFW commission meetings to help enhance some of the opportunities we now have for fishing and shellfishing as well as maintaining some opportunities that may have been restricted or taken away. As a group, PSA has come of age a bit and is not the confrontational group that caused so much angst with the Ban The Nets campaign. We have gained notoriety throughout the sportsfishing fraternity and our voices are now being heard where they were simply ignored a couple of years ago. Without our seat at the table I think things would be much less friendly to sports fishers. It takes some time to build trust and relationships with the decision makers.

Many of us are on advisory boards. Our VP Ron Garner is on the crab advisory board and PSA was very helpful in the drive to get the crab catch record card set in law..which it now is. This will eventually improve our access to the quotas of crab and shrimp in the future. We have also worked hard to help keep the WDFW honest, if you will, in spending the $10 Puget Sound salmon enhancement surcharge money directed towards what it was intended for instead of where it was being diverted which is into the general fund. The ultimate goal is to try to return to the glory days of Puget Souond salmon fishing. Elliott Bay chinook fishing opportunity is another success story.

Mostly what we have given back is our efforts and contributions to CAST for Kids to help kids get interested in fishing. We donate money to them and volunteer at events. We have gained notoriety for our Edmonds Coho Derby where we really make the kids King.

So much more can be said but no one would probably read that far. I will mirror what Slab says about politics. Most of the folks I talk to about that part of our club want those of us who are doing the heavy lifting to keep doing so and don't want the meetings to be political rallies. We will however surprise you on July 13th when the New Recreational Fishing Alliance state of Washington Chapter is unveiled. Your club has decided to donate a substantial amount of money to that organization and also help get the state chapter off the ground. The meeting on the 13th will showcase RFA and what they are all about and what is going to happen in Washington state. I will be part of that new organization as will two other SnoKing members. This organization will make you proud we were part of launching it and will offer all the politics you can stand.

Good things are coming guys and I hope you will join in and voice your own opinions on the issues and you are always welcome to come to the board meetings and if you so desire become a board member. There is only so much time at a meeting but I promise we will take all your suggestions to heart. I hope we have grown to a level where we need to be so I can spend more time with individual members. Thanks again

#245729 - 06/17/04 11:01 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Sent a few bucks your way!

#245730 - 06/17/04 11:30 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Aunty M & Stlhd,

Look!

Washington Sportfishing PAC

They have paypal, as you requested.

And, they are non-partisan. They donate to both Democrats and Republicans (mostly reps on the House Fisheries Committees).

#245731 - 06/17/04 11:30 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I just put my $$ where my mouth is. Come on folks. This is the way to get things done.

#245732 - 06/18/04 12:58 AM Re: Sportfishing PAC
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
Thanks Grandpa and Slabquest. These two guys have done alot that most people never know. We are working hard. All of us have full time jobs and basically all run construction companies. I had my right hand man fall victim to a stroke who has worked for me for 10 years. Its almost like starting over. Between running a business full time, family, kids in sports and PSA there is hardly any time to still get out and fish. We talk about the politics at the PSA state board meeting. We talk about how to much politics at events (like sportsman shows and monthly meetings) can quickly lose the crowd. People that don't know what we are about should get involved. If you don’t like what you see then step forward or get involved. In any great club there are usually a handful of people running it. The new RFA and PAC ought to be the ones you join to get our fishing rights. The RFA is the NRA of fishing. Get involved. Its much easier to do nothing and go fishing, but someday there might not be any more fishing. Don' kid yourself, there are environmental groups that want it all banned and are getting huge sums of money to shut it down. Get involved, if nothing else for your kids and grandkids. They will appreciate it.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#245733 - 06/18/04 08:18 AM Re: Sportfishing PAC
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

It is not enough to volunteer anymore. Money unfortunately is the commodity that makes the world go round especially in politics. I say politics because it is the politicians who can make changes to laws and appropriate the money to fund programs we need. It is always a small group in any organization that does most of the heavy lifting and that is fine. It is the power of the big group that can make change possible., The power of contributions to key people from a recognized PAC or group like RFA is incredible. You can mail in a check to your favorite politician and it will be appreciated or you can pool it with others so the check from the PAC gets the sports fishing lobbyist "ACCESS"....Access is what make the political world go around. Get past the front door. Get to the decision makers. Then if you build a relationship with the decision maker you can start getting things done.

So we are not talking about salmon fishing only here....or WSR..or C&R..hatchery or no hatchery....We are talking about

THE FREEDOM TO FISH

#245734 - 06/18/04 04:23 PM Re: Sportfishing PAC
JRfishing Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek
I agree with Grandpa, it take both efforts to get any notice or decisions to be swayed one way or the other.

Last years crabbing protest is a prime example, we got a good turn out for the WDFW meeting in Port Townsend. We thought we got our point across and thought we made a difference. We did make a very small difference, maybe. Judging by the fact that the commercials had culled most of the keeper crab prior to our opening, and seeing their pots in the water all year long, but hey at least we had a showing and didn’t lose our limits. I truly believe we would have made a much greater difference in swaying the rulings in the sports crabbers favor, if we also had a person or association that had the ear/wallet of the actual politician or decision maker making the ruling.

Most of us spend way more money to go catch the crabs, shrimp, or fish, WAY MORE that if we chose to buy it at the store. We are willing to pay the high fuel, boat, auto, insurance ect… prices even though we are getting shafted we it comes to sharing of the quotes, seasons, and enforcement. We now need to make supporting our industry or right of a sport-fisherman a cost that goes along with it. If we want to improve or even continue our what we have now, we need to support in time and money.

Right now most of the burden is on a small few who have taken it upon themselves to get the ball rolling. We don’t know how much time effort and yes MONEY they have pored into keeping and trying to improve the ability for us to get our fair share. If you want to improve our standing and access you HAVE to get involved.

I joined PSA as a start last January, not knowing exactly what it was about, but it was a start. Just like many of you I attended the meetings and really enjoy the speakers and the raffle, but I went one step further, I ASKED to become involved, I asked to help share the burden of making a change for us, what can I do beyond the moaning and crying that doesn’t get us anywhere. It has been shown to me, by actions including myself, that when we go ask for the support from the sport fishermen a lot of you will say rah rah, let make a change, let go, the excitement wears off very fast and then you do nothing. Those that come and say let me help what can I do ? those are usually the ones who stick with it or are ready in invest their efforts and get involved.

People like Grandpa do more than most of us, including the moaning about how we get shafted, they have more of a RIGHT to, they are involved, they are making the investment, they are the ones that are making a difference. Heck I was moved to get off my butt and get involved.

We now have a awesome opportunity that we have not had before with the Washington Sportfishing political action committee (PAC) to get access to those who actually make the decisions here in Washington State, and the RFA that has access to the decision makers Federally in Washington DC and fellow sports fishermen across the country.

We need to support their efforts with funding, there are tens of thousand of us and we all make a contribution large or small it will make a huge difference.

At our July Sno-King PSA meeting we are having a Bar-B-Q and the guest speaker will be the RFA. Our raffle proceeds will go the them 100 %.

I would like to make a challenge to all fellow sportsfishermen and to other chapters to try and match or beat our contributions. I am personally going to contribute at our July meeting, a $100.00 to both the RFA and the (PAC), let me see you match that. Our PSA chapter is also going to make a substantial contribution also. I will post the amount to see if we have any takers from other clubs willing to meet it.

If it means not going on fishing trip or two to make contribution, I feel its worth the investment for the future.

NOW is the time to make a difference, if you want to get involved, no one is going to stop you, you will find lots of dedicated persons and groups that will help you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, wolverine), 1081 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |