Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99491 - 11/16/00 11:43 AM Washington state hunters
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Gotta send this out because we spent a whole bunch of time talking about it this last week. Late whitetail season is open here in Idaho and as normal we have a huge amount of hunters from Washington state. A few questions for you guys that hunt.

1> Is road hunting allowed in washington??

These guys show up and set up huge camps. Pile into their pickups and proceed to drive non-stop from dawn till dusk at 5 mph gawking out the windows looking for a buck... pretty stupid.

2> Whats up with the licence plate thing???

Is there a handbook they give out to hunters in washington state that says when going out of state to go road hunting, you should remove the the front plate off your rig ??? Its pretty funny to see all these trucks driving around with guys gawking out the windows and no plate on the front and a washington plate on the back.

This was the best. My family owns a large section of land in central Idaho. It is somewhat remote and has 1 road into it. Its gated and posted and is also known to have a good number of whitetails on it. We were going into the place one morning and there at the gate were three trucks full of guys from you know where.. I got out and asked them what they wanted and they told me that they were waiting for light so they could go hunting. I told them that it would be a real good idea if they found out who owned the land and try and get permission... Its gets really good now... The guy who seemed to be doing all the talking says he got permission from "ME" he says my name and says he has hunted here for years. I could not help it... had to describe myself... Was he a great big *******?? really good looking sorta fella that you asked.. Yep, thats him was the reply. I could have died laughing..

This is in no way a slam on hunters from washington. I know a bunch of them that come over here and hunt elk. All good guys and pretty good hunters to boot. Just seems like there must have been a article in the fishing and hunting news over there that had the headline "gut piles on every corner in Grangeville, gas em up and go!!!!"

#99492 - 11/16/00 06:11 PM Re: Washington state hunters
skunkmaster Offline
Parr

Loc: Cosmopolis,Wa USA
Here in Washington we tried getting out of our rigs to hunt once, but we couldn't keep from spilling our beer!

#99493 - 11/16/00 06:58 PM Re: Washington state hunters
LEADHEAD Offline
Parr

Loc: Klickitat Co Wa
B-Run..Which part was not a slam on Washington hunters? I usually don't speak up about posts like this, however, I didn't really find it humorous. We have the same problem around here with out of state hunters. I myself own a large amount of acreage. I just don't think this is the place for it.
Lets talk fishing instead.

#99494 - 11/16/00 10:20 PM Re: Washington state hunters
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
B-Run, don't judge all of us Wa. state hunters by the actions of a few, as a bowhunter I think I'd be wasting alot of time bugling from the front seat of my pickup. Do know a number of rifle hunters that don't know any other way to "hunt".

#99495 - 11/16/00 10:31 PM Re: Washington state hunters
fiveweight Offline
Fry

Loc: lake shoecraft
now lets talk about the guys from Idaho who come here to fish the rivers and coast!!!

#99496 - 11/17/00 09:50 AM Re: Washington state hunters
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Five weight, thats a great idea. Road fishing!!! We could load up and depending on the number of gas stations on the coast, drive at 5mph up and down every river and look for trophy steelhead !!! I wonder how many we could catch??? I'd have to take the plates off the front of my rig so I would look local of course. I would hold out for a 20 pound buck but would go ahead and tag a small hen just to notch my tag on the last day.

#99497 - 11/17/00 10:52 AM Re: Washington state hunters
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Dude - try decaf. Or, start your own 'private Idaho' BB.

This is a fishing site, not a b_tch-about-redneck-hunters site.

Nice ongoing slams on the people of Washington. What was the address of your property?

#99498 - 11/17/00 03:11 PM Re: Washington state hunters
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sumner Wa.
B-Run just got back from Idaho hunting deer in the Big Creek drainage,the fire in there must of been a sight to see,as for that L.plate thing might just be ignorance of the laws.The road hunting is because here in Wash. when you go for a hunt you step off the road and after 1/4 mile hike you hit another road so what the hell you might as well drive.

#99499 - 11/17/00 10:04 PM Re: Washington state hunters
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
B-Run
don't let these guy's get your goat, most of the out of stater's you are getting are not really from here, just imports from down south or east. You know with our big booming economy has drawn these backwood idots from all over. As the plates missing, most likely they have run into too many tree's trying to see around the next corner. Follow em and you will see lots of bumper marks on trees and stumps.

------------------
elmtree (woody)

#99500 - 11/17/00 10:27 PM Re: Washington state hunters
fiveweight Offline
Fry

Loc: lake shoecraft
b-run, you need to relax, you've been out in the sticks to long. Our state is just like yours when it comes to hunting season, overrun with people in every direction you look, I get the feeling that you think your special and your the only people that have to deal with road hunters and trespassers. The world is getting smaller.

#99501 - 11/17/00 11:50 PM Re: Washington state hunters
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Lighten up guys!
I'm from Washington and I hunt - you all have to admit - there is a lot of truth in what was posted. I primarily bowhunt, if you really want to see a sight, go up to the Nile area outside Yakima during the late bowhunt. It is the ultimate roadhunting (with a good mix of hikers too)area. You literally can't find a parking spot sometimes.
There are some serious idiots out there. I admit they are the minority but some things are almost unbelieveable. I got back from Wyoming three weeks ago and saw something I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it. When we took our animals to the meat cutter he had four bucks that some guys from California brought in. Three of the bucks were brought in without having even been gutted! The fourth was only gutted behind the diaphram (the heart and lungs were still in the deer). The meat cutter said he was used to it and saw it every year! What made it even more amazing is that every deer was huge, the smallest was about 28" wide the biggest was over 30". [ In defense of Californians some other guys from there brought in some of the best cared for deer you could find later].

Also you have to admit the story about permisson was pretty humorous.

#99502 - 11/18/00 01:22 AM Re: Washington state hunters
thisbudsforu Offline
Fry

Loc: yuppieville usa (Kirkland)
i usually try to stay in the truck if im around a lot of other wa. 'hunters' because i don't like being shot at.

#99503 - 11/18/00 02:17 PM Re: Washington state hunters
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Huntar,

going to be in that part of the world in just a few days. we mormaly go a little farther up 410 from Nile and try and get away from all the crowds. we are getting our camp loaded this weekend and on friday we will set it up for a week. look for a 70 Ford Bronco. dark blue almost black with a white top. that would be us. or my white GMC truck with the Cowboy stickers on the back side windows.

B- run I am with you. I know you were just pointing out something not trying to start a big deal. some people jus thave a chip looking to be kicked off. truth is you could go to any state and ge the same kind of stories. I thought yer post was funny. got anymore Wa. hunter stories.

dcrzfitter

#99504 - 11/18/00 06:33 PM Re: Washington state hunters
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Well I have to say I work in the woods and 50% of the deer I've shot have been off the road heading home from work.Problem with western washington is the brush.In most places you couldnt see 10 feet in front of you so most folks op to road hunt.If you live in central Idaho I cant understand why a guy would need to get out of his pickup its all open and know trees or brush know up north thats a different story.TM

#99505 - 11/18/00 09:39 PM Re: Washington state hunters
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa,USA
It is interesting that you are seeing so many roadhunters.Perhaps you should spend a little less time in the cab.That way you won't see so many Wa. plates.
By the way,do you guys still buy doe and cow tags over the counter and hunt them with high powered rifles?Unheard of here.Decidedly unsporting if you ask me.Perhaps you could explain why Idahoans think it is ok to shoot Cow Elk and Does with the old 300 winmag ?

#99506 - 11/18/00 11:51 PM Re: Washington state hunters
skunkmaster Offline
Parr

Loc: Cosmopolis,Wa USA
Gee, Leadslinger your off to a good start.
And yes we do hunt cows here in the Willapa Hills,Tastes the same as anyother Elk.
And cow hunting is'nt the reason for Elk declines. Destruction of habitat to fuel our economic expansion.

#99507 - 11/19/00 01:41 PM Re: Washington state hunters
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa,USA
Thanks Skunkmaster,you're off to a good start also.
according to my regs the Willipa Hills unit is 3 pt. min.
When an any elk unit is in effect in Wa modern season, it is to reduce overall elk numbers in the area.Usually because landowners want smaller elk herds.It is still unsporting if,you ask me,to make war on the entire herd.
If B-Steely doesn't like a shot of his own diatribe,he doesn't have to attack all Wa. hunters,does he?

#99508 - 11/19/00 02:15 PM Re: Washington state hunters
sealice Offline
Parr

Loc: Forks,WA
I have had some real laughs from this ongoing rant and rave about them darn Wa. hunters. We all rant about road hunters but to me it means less people out in the brush and behind the gates where I hunt. My truck is the one with plates front and back and the mountain bike in the back. I go to idaho for the late whitetail hunt at Thanksgiving every year since i moved to wash ( now Im a coastie blush blush) and hope for another one like Im looking at on my wall right now. As far as the dis on hunting cows and doe if the game population supports it as it obviously does in north idaho whats the problem with it . You don't have take one if you don't want to. I past on countless does and smaller bucks last year and didnt notch my tag and was sstill happy. No offence taken or given fun to hear the hunting chat from ya'll.

#99509 - 11/21/00 07:14 PM Re: Washington state hunters
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I have to pipe up here also. First, the unit by the Hills is the Lincoln unit. Three point or antlerless. The same goes for the Battle ground unit and a few others near there. Second, I'm the first to admit that road hunting is lazy. But every deer I have shot except two have been by road hunting. Or more like, Dang, I have kicked brush for three hours and no deer. Lets move. Drive, drive, drive, OHCRAPDEERSTOPTHETRUCK! Load gun, BANG. Now for the hard part. The front plate is funny, because when I think about it. I rarely see frony plates even over here. The private property is true though. Nobody seems to give a crap about signs. He probably looked up the deed owner on the net or something. Third, in eight years of hunting WA, I shot 8 deer. I have seen more animals near roads then in the woods. Every year! More deer on roads. So much for the "fact" deer stay at least two miles from heavy traffic roads.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#99510 - 11/21/00 10:48 PM Re: Washington state hunters
DONE! Offline
Egg

Loc: Wa. USA
I just got back from Idaho hunting a few of your whitetails and seen just as many red, white and blue plates driving the roads too. I guess the locals get cold also. Plus, If they weren't in the trucks, they were on the quads buzzing around the roads. However, road hunters have never bothered me, I will take road hunters any day versus hunting with them in the woods. Just appreciate the guys being out of your way and put the miles on your boots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1445 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |