Salmo g - it appears the only "native" summer run population recorded on the Snohomish system is in the Tolt river tributary. I'm sure historically that there was small runs on the Sultan before they dammed the river as well as the NF Skykomish. There apepars to be some plans to implement a broodstock program using the Tolt river genetics in order to avoid ESA lawsuits. Most rivers with summer run populations in the Puget Sound were never large and there may be significant river promiscuity and dynamism in summer run steelhead. People catch hatchery strays in the Sultan and I suspect some venture to the Tolt (closed to fishing). Wild steelhead that exist on the Skykomish are probably a naturalized Skamania Tolt hybrid.Skykomish Broodstock Program

I wish the WDFW had more information about this program other than this article because I believe this is a recipe for success in other rivers where they can partition fish.

Additionally the Sky has a unique program going on where WDFW has been taking "wild" coho, steelhead (summer) dollies, chinook and transporting them above sunset falls so that these fish may gain access to previously unexploited spawning ground. This year they transported around 200 "wild" summer steelhead, 10,000+ coho, a couple hundred chinook and a handful of sockeye?? about 100 Skamania hatchery fish were returned to the hatchery so that suggests that hatchery Skamania also venture to the NF Skykomish. It will be interesting to see whether or not this approach bears fruit as it already allows for take of wild Coho as long as escapement is projected to be met.

Edited by blenny (03/14/19 11:39 AM)