Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Interesting. "a focus on efficiency and maximizing abundance prevents widespread implementation of risk reduction measures". When I was in Hatcheries, the main difference between State facilities and for profit was the recognition that we weren't trying to be "efficient", we were trying to produce the fish and stocks that were best suited to ecosystem.

If WDFW is now saying that efficiency is the goal, then let private business run the show as they will likely do it cheaper. And money must be the only important thing.

I haven't read the full report yet, so I'm just spit-balling this, but I suspect the issue of efficiency has to do with how inefficient it is to try to implement some of the broodstock management protocols, e.g. collecting natural broodstock or operating a weir to control the spawning of hathery origin returns. Those types of things are certainly less efficient in terms of time, money and personnel than simply operating hatcheries as we have in the past, and in many cases, still do. That would seem to fit in with the other thought that the desire to maximize abundance (I'm guessng in terms of the size of the hatchery program and therefore abundance of hatchery fish returning) prevents being able to implement risk reduction measures like more conservation minded broodstock protocols. Again, just a guess before I read the report.

Edited by OncyT (02/03/20 12:00 PM)