Originally Posted By: Waterboy
Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: Waterboy
You can't find out if NOAA/NMFS would say no unless you file for it. What's the worst that can happen? We would just go back to what we have now. Do the tribes have the authority/right to not allow the state a fishery through their permit if the state filed for their own? Or is it NOAA/NMFS that would say no to a state fishery if the state filed a permit....until said permit was approved? Like you are only allowed to be on one permit at a time? I just don't see why the state can't file for a permit and still do what they do each year for a state fishery currently.

Has Ron Warren or anyone else within WDFW written NOAA/NMFS asking that very question and received an official signed response that there would be NO State fishery pending issuance of a permit?

I am trying to educate myself. So is this why the state doesn't pursue it's own permit cause they think NOAA/NMFS would not allow the state to fish during the process of deciding on issuance of a permit? So if the state filed for their own permit NOAA/NMFS would not allow the state to fish on the tribes permit?

It might be that the tribes wouldn't allow the State to piggyback on their permit which would then put NOAA/NMFS in the awkward postiion of being the gatekeeper for a State fishery.

While I would like to think the political pressure would generate some form of interim permit I also recall the recent history of WDFW's early winter steelhead program and how the WFC lawsuit came about because NOAA/NMFS didn't timely review WDFW's submittals.

Also, I do think upper management at WDFW is afraid to unset the status quo.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)