Same thing happened about 14 years ago with my son. 140 lb dobie didn't like him sticking his fingers up his nose and snapped at him. Had his head in his mouth and drew blood just above his eye and the back of the head. I took the dog into the laundry room and beat the bejeezus out of him. I felt better anyway. He wasn't a bad dog, we just could not trust him anymore with the baby.

We have some friends that live out in the woods who's older kids were needing a guard dog. He was a prize dobie and they were happy to have him. We shipped him off the next day. He lived a long and happy life and was much calmer in the woods than in town. They finally put him down about 6 years later after he developed displasia.

Point is, the dog doesn't have to die. He just has to be around larger kids or no kids. Do you know if the baby had dog snot on his fingers? wink Seriously, I'd get rid of the dog. If you feel you have to shoot him, it's your dog. If he is a loved one and not generally mean, he might make a great pet for someone with older kids, and you could visit him. We enjoyed visiting ours.