Most people don't realize that Rotts by nature aren't attack dogs. Originally they were herd dogs. They came to Germany by way of Russia when they herded animals there.
My sister had a Rott that was a big baby. That thing would go into the chicken pen and herd little tiny chicks around. Damnedest thing I've ever seen.
Hey Y'all referred to the .22 scrambling situation. This is why the mob prefers a .22 for hits. No mess and it scrambles them good.

As far as Rotts being #2 on the list of killing kids, there's a ton of them out there and they weigh about twice as much as most kids.

Rotts for the most part I've seen are big babies. Same with pit bulls. I've never seen so much energy as you see in a pit bull. But there's IDIOTS out there (like 2 of my neighbors) that live on 1/4 acre lots and insist on getting a big dog (both Australian Shephards in this case). Makes me want to go over and smack the neighbor. The one behind me broke a board on the fence and repeatedly came over to chase the cats that hang out in the backyard. I popped it with the BB gun just as the woman was hollering at it to come home.
The next weekend it was back again, this time it growled at me. Came in stuffed the .38 in my pants and told the wife I was going to get firewood. As I'm walking towards the back door, I look out and see that they're finally fixing the dang fence.
So close. eek