Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your input.
If I would have been home at the time, I prabably would have killed the dog on the spot. As it was, I was just getting off work when my wife called. I met her near my work (which was on her way to the hospital) and drove like a madman to the ER. Taking a toddler to get stitches is a very traumatic thing for everyone. My wife does not handle it well at all. They have to probe around and inspect the wounds while the child screams and pleads and twists around... That's actually the easy part! Fortunately, we saw a very experienced plastic surgeon and Aidan was doped up for the actual stitches. We got home at about 1am - all very worn out.

Here's where we stand right now:

1) My wife has called a rottie pure bred rescue and is waiting to hear back from them. They handle much worse cases than ours with success. You just have to know what you are getting into.
2) if that does not pan out in the next few days, then this weekend we will need to take a drive out into the woods.

Thanks again!

PS - Aidan is doing well. He is acting pretty normal, even though his left eye is so swollen that he can't see out of it. The hard part is going to be keeping him from breaking open the stitches or getting an infection.