Lupo,

Yes, my statement was of the obvious. But I make it because so many anglers don’t seem to get it. For example, we have two above average returns like the last two on the Sky, or the last three on the NFL and Cowlitz. Next thing ya’ know, that becomes the bar that fishermen expect to see, and when we get a below average year like this summer, suddenly WDFW doesn’t know how to manage the fishery. It’s no secret that I’m happy to criticize any agency (including my own) and any party for what they actually do, however, it’s just plain stupid to think, let alone expect, well above average run sizes each and every year - because then they wouldn’t be average for one thing. The average would be at a new and higher level. Not that that’s a bad thing, if it’s actually sustainable. But it generally isn’t.

Sorry if the term about above and below average is over-worked for you, but a lot of posters here clearly don’t understand this, and it’s evident from what they write. That’s the simple reason for my stating and re-stating here from time to time.

Yes, we have some averages that are moving toward zero. In Puget Sound those appear to be wild chinook and steelhead. It does not include wild pink and chum salmon or any hatchery population that I’m presently aware of. In fact, some of those wild pink and chum populations are very near historic known highs. Some PS coho are in really good shape, like the Snoho, and some, especially in south Sound, and not so good. And the condition of the habitat tends to show the reason why.

Also to reiterate for the nigh-on-umpteenth time, fishery agencies have very little influence on the condition of the habitat. The things that affect habitat are mostly regulated, or not regulated, as the case may be, by DOE, DNR, WSDOT, and county planning depts. and Commissioners. And for every fish friendly action they cause, they also approve 9 or 10 unfriendly ones. Which is why some wild fish populations are heading toward an average run size of zero.

I’ll be sure to say that the average has gone to hell well before the 10 year average return of any population reaches two fish.

Not to defend WDFW on this, but I’m still waiting to hear what WDFW did wrong to cause this poor return of Snoho summer steelhead, which BTW, there weren’t a heck of a lot of prior to the Reiter program that began in 1974, first returns in 1976.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.