"Snoho summer steelhead, which BTW, there weren’t a heck of a lot of prior to the Reiter program that began in 1974, first returns in 1976"

Wanna bet. as a kid I used to fish the summer run all the way up from Index to monte Cristo and from index to the falls. Seemed like they where behind every rock. I remember the first one I ever hooked. I cast my single 3 natual colored Pautzke salmon eggs to the opposite bank where a big rock set up a nice eddy with a big log providing cover for the hole. I had been catching cutts all day and had set my drag a little tighter on the Johnson Century reel. A big summer run that my dad later estimated at 15lbs + grabbed my bait and head back under the log to deep water. My dad yelled loosen the drag . I was trying to loosen the drag as the fish bent my rod nearly double. I was using 8 lb test as we always did and when the fish took off out of the eddy down stream with a couple of head shakes and a snap of the line . The fish did not stay hooked but I did. Almost no one fished for them back then. It was the Summer of 1966 and I was 8 years old.