Smalma, Im not trying to be negative towards hatchery practices. All the reasons you shared make complete sense. Im just trying to think outside the box(probably not a good idea). Reiter is a major fishery in the sceme of things. Whereas Lewis St, Cracker Bar, to name some obvious ones where back in the day. My point is, its common to see 10+ fish taken from Reiter in early Dec, but very rarely will you see a fish taken at the drifts mentioned above. Thats why i got my tributary idea. (spread fish and pressure out)

If 20,00 smolts get planted in a trib, and the return rate was say 1%. 200 fish would return right. Of those 200, how many would actually return to the river of release, and how many would return to the original place of acclimation(reiter)????

If fish in the tribs were acounted for and trapped for broodstock for that river, than chances are the offspring would return to that river and not Reiter right???

Sorry for my rambling, hatchery fish science has always interested me for some strange reason.
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown