Fished out of Edmonds with Irishrogue this AM, and the plan was to stay close and check out local haunts since the tides were favorable for a few holes I know, and we had a network of buddies in different spots, so we could move if we heard of a hot bite. Turns out we made the right choice as we found a few within a 7 iron of the Edmonds Breakwater.

Day started off unfavorably. I ratnested the hell out of my Islander while stringing up my rod frown , then on the first drop, the Downrigger cable snaps mid-drop for no apparent reason. A couple minor setbacks and we are fishing. Irish, being the nice guy he is, gives me the other rigger while he fixes the broken cable...

A bit later and I latch into a fish, turns out to be right at 22". Hatchery blackmouth, but we decide to let it loose in hopes that it will give us a shot of good fishy karma for the rest of the morning...it might have worked.

1/2 hour or so later, my rod trips and we land a nice 10#'er for the first blood of the season. Woot!

Around 7 am Irish's rod trips, good fish, but it gets off. frown
Things slow, and we start thinking that maybe he should change out his downrigger that lost a lot of cable cause he can only get down 65 feet until he is at the end of the spool of cable. Just as we are breaking out the manual rigger so he can go deeper, his rod get's totally hammered, big takedown, and the fight is on! I guess 65 feet of cable was enough smile

I don the helmet cam and start filming as Irish gets the fish to the boat. We can tell it's big as it takes line a few times...& Sweet music sings from the knucklebuster...

The result!

...and here's both of 'em. Irish's fish weighed 'bout 20 on the nose.

Specifics: We fished south of Edmonds between the point and oil docks, and right off the breakwater. There was a HUGE school of green label sized herring off the breakwater later in the morning...& the big fish had a few in her belly.
Fish were taken on Flasher/Silver Horde Cotton Candy and White lightning Coho Killers thumbs
65 and 101 feet.

Good luck out there folks....& I Cant wait to get out again! Thanks again Irish!