When I was with Whatcom County Sheriff Dept we could detain tribal members from any tribe on the Lummi reservation, but no arrest powers. They had to be handed off to tribal police for arrest. We had full powers of arrest on non tribal people.

They had full powers of arrest on any tribal members on reservation, and could only stop and detain non-tribal people for a hand off to us. Off reservation, they could not do dick.

These guys seriously screwed up. I hope they are fired, the Tribe loses a suit and ends up paying these guys a mint. There is absolutely no excuse for an officer not knowing their jurisdiction, especially when it is only 1,340 acres.

Here's an interesting thought, maybe Todd could address. Officers of the law, or other US government representatives can be guilty of violating civil liberties, but since these guys represent a sovereign nation, what's the standing? These guys may not even be tribal members. I know tribal members would scream if their civil rights were violated.

At least they got the elk.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.