Dave, there are two ways to look at this. If the average family who's struggling to make ends meet like many Americans, walks into any grocery store on the 1st or 2nd of any month and they will likely see people with tattoos, multiple kids, don't speak English, people driving expensive cars or any combination of, with carts full of .99 pizzas, soda pop, donuts, and other junk food, paid by (insert govt program). A dad may have to tell his son they can't afford a new toy, a bottle of Snapple or even a candy bar, while watching someone on assistance buy a case of Mountain Dew. Where is the justice? Does that family not have the right to be outraged? Are the families who only buy staples and wholesome foods in line too, of course. In my observations, they are usually the family who is quiet, humble, and is usually very discret.

Then there's people like you and me who see a broader cross section, like the blind lady you mentioned, the terminal patient, someone with a debilitating disease. You being a compassionate person sees these people, and knows the devastation that would happen if they were cut off. Others see the deadbeats at Walmart and are outraged. A simple drug test, or if you have a better idea, I'd like to hear it, assures the public that the money is going where it needs to go, to the people who need the help.