Its a combination of different factors that bugs people.
1. Most people are convinced they pay more than they do.
2. People who do pay usually feel they get little in return. Nothing pisses me off more than looking at my tax bill, then seeing user fees on everything I want to use. Parks, walks woods, etc... Then call the cops and they refuse to come.
3. Over regulation that makes them feel they are paying to get screwed.
4. Hidden taxes that raises the rate.
5. A very visible non-working class of people who get benefits, so of which they can't afford. I was paying close to $2000 grand a month and could not get anywhere near the level of insurance my mother-in-law gets from the state (she is on SS for a disablility). For not working she had a car, cable TV. better insurance, a credit card, cell phone, and lived in a very nice apartment with a pool and work out center.
6. For those that do make a lot, a realization that they are over paying to give the benefits I listed in #5.
7. A lack in faith in the government.
8. The high Social Security rates that they are convinced are not worth anything. For self employed people this can be higher than taxes. For workers they often lump it in with their tax rate.
9. and most of all, a belief that a starter home is 2500 sq ft, a car must be brand new, cable and a cell phone are standard utiilities, and eating out is standard.

What personally is hard for me is that this last year my industry has collapsed. Almost everyone I know is struggling or has filed bankruptcy. No benefits from the state or gov't and the only program other than free school lunches I qualify for was the insurance program the state suspended. I will get by, but paying taxes really does feel like I am just handing over my money and will never see a return for 90% of it.