I grew up in Bellingham during the era of Kurt Cobain and have had a lot of friends with substance abuse issues. Some of my former best friends are dead or I have no idea what they are up to since I steer clear of them these days.

Anyone who blames drugs for these people's issues is very much wrong. All of them were either schizophrenic before they started using, or came from families that were completely [Bleeeeep!] up. I can only think of one guy who had a good family and health and [Bleeeeep!] it up royally out of at least a dozen.

I never partook in the hard drugs because I was already addicted to fishing which is one of the hardest there is. I thank god for this passion and that it takes precedence over getting loaded. Some people simply don't have passions in life because they are severely depressed from a host of sources, usually crappy family, or are mentally handicapped.

I get tired of people thinking MJ is a gateway drug and what not. Nearly everyone I knew who "screwed their lives up" was already screwed when they were completely sober in elementary school.

And don't get me started about alcoholics. I would way rather work with a stoner than a guy who hammers down 4 drinks before work and on lunch. I have worked with these types and they are assholes, always cranky, always blaming everyone and thing but themselves. Stoners say some stupid $hit but they are usually more peaceable and easier to work with towards a common goal in the work place.

However, I currently work in an environment where everyone is 100% sober during the work day and that is a first in my life and I am very thankful.

Maybe it's amphetamines.