Thats all fine and dandy but how many people go out and actually train with their weapon? By train I mean engaging silhouettes, not random trees, cans, or squirrels.

Not sure if any of you have read the book "On Killing" but it has a section that goes over the advantage that shooting a silhouetter presents over the usual objects. In the early World War, shot accuracy was an issue. This inaccuracy was attributed to Soldiers shooting on bulleye targets similar to archers. When faced with a live human aiming a weapon at them, their reaction was to shoot high. Now if you look at ranges both civilian and military, most have a silhouette that resembles the upper portion of a person. This type of silhouette when combined with training and practice results in muscle memory that allows the shooter to engage center mass, as that is what they are accustomed to.

I guess an example can be in Gang wars. Not many people are dropped with two to the chest. Its a pray and spray mentality because many are not trained. They just have the weapons and attempt to destroy their enemy. I believe the same will occur if majority of the untrained civilian population takes up arms in an effort to be less complacent. Stray shots are never a good thing....

I agree something needs to be done, but our Children deserve a well planned out initiative not a knee jerk reaction to a travesty.