Originally Posted By: Chasin' Baitman
Larry, can you tell me where to get more info about this methodology? Or just explain further? I want to know more about the different types of management.

Bushbear has made a great suggestion for you in terms of researching this site and WDFW's website.

As I understand it In a very short version WDFW sets wild fish impact limits by management area even for the blackmouth fishery. Hit the limit and that area closes even though fishing may be gangbusters because the majority of blackmouth have followed the bait to that area and/or simply had better survival than releases elsewhere. That allows other management areas to remain open even if the fishing there is far less successful - but it is still an opportunity to fish.

From the article it appears that there is discussion about an aggregate impact approach allowing the fishery to continue throughout P.S. until the impact is hit. Then the entire fishery would close. That would be great for the fishermen and businesses benefiting from recreational fishing in that area while leaving other areas to suffer. Not sure that is a fair trade off.

For example, would it be fair to the guys who keep their small boats at Pt. Defiance boathouse to see their (lately very pathetic) fishery closed because the entire impact was gobbled up in MA7?

That is the abbreviated version as I understand it.

Edit: It also appears that the Thursday closure was to cut out one day of fishing before getting into the now three day a week schedule. One would have to ask the managers if that one day closure was worth the angst it may have caused.

Edited by Larry B (01/27/15 03:15 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)