Kind of a rough year for my toms so far. Planted early, when it looked like we were in for another hot, dry late spring. Weather changed. A couple plants are looking great, two more are so-so, and two were lost to blight.

The neighbors (peppers) are also a mixed bag. I planted good-sized bell pepper starts and some smaller Anaheim and Hatch chile starts in May. When the weather turned, all started flowering and producing fruit. I think they thought fall was here early. Anyway, the bell peppers are still growing and looking good. The chiles are perking up, but the peppers that started growing early on are rotting away. Those did well in the heat last year, but they don't seem to care much for more typical Western WA summers.

Peas, radishes, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, kale, and green beans all doing great, but they usually do in our climate. It's been a great year for berries so far.

I think you guys using greenhouses and other heat-trapping systems for tomatoes have the right idea. In typical seasons, we need all the extra heat we can get, especially to grow slicing varieties.