This is a great starting place. That maximum/optimum economic benefit is a good starting place.

Want to throw out a kicker, though. Came up in discussions about coho restoration in the Yakima. I voiced concerns that as juvenile coho increase the sympatric trout will decrease. This could, ultimately, reduce the trout fishery. Speaking as a theoretical Yakima watershed resident and trout angler I noted that coho restoration would both diminish my fishery but still require me to protect my land for coho. The response was that that I could go to Buoy Zooey and fish for those coho.

The production of our natural resources will require that some lands and waterways be protected from maximum local economic development and use. WDFW at least once, on an HPA, required that the stream be fenced off and nobody allowed inside the fence (even the owner). The local who has to bear some of the cost of production needs to have local access to the result. Meaning that, for salmon, that there needs to freshwater fisheries that many not be as economically "rich" as payment for the protection.