Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I'll just throw in (up) from the other side of Larry's post. I get seasick. Almost always. Can be treated with patches but it is still there. I have boat-fished quite a bit (in my mind) and only a few of the trips have been really enjoyable. I grew up walk and wade, shore based. You can open all the boat fisheries you want and I won't be there.

But, that is me and my stomach. Somehow, we have to find solutions that are not always "either-or". When I started in fish management I had to push hard for in-river fisheries for pink as the only real salmon fishing was done in the salt.

Ah, another puker! I admitted to that "failure" to the Commission when testifying against area closures in the western Straits - that is, that the Straits and inside waters were areas I could generally fish versus the open ocean.

You apparently have a much worse affliction and I do empathize and sympathize! Been there and done that in the small rental boats out of Neah Bay sitting backwards, breathing a combo of 1950s era 50:1 two-stroke "fog" and Dad's cigarette smoke and munching candy bars after a greasy breakfast at Rosie's Cafe. The outcome was inevitable but I kept going back. Not so much of an issue on the inner Sound with just wind waves versus swells.

And that takes us back to the need to maintain a combination of recreational fisheries throughout Washington waters meeting the desires/needs/capabilities of all fishers and the resource.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)