What you have to remember if stopped by tribal police is that IF they are acting with a Sheriff's Commission, they are acting as the County Sheriff, not as a tribal officer. So they would have jurisdiction within the county IF the respective sheriffs choose to give them that authority, and I doubt that many would. Sheriffs, and Chiefs of Police for that matter, want CONTROL over those that represent them. How do you discipline a tribal officer if not under your command/control? Years ago the Nisqually tribal police proposed the State Department of Fisheries commission their officers so that they could enforce state laws on their U&A against non Indians. Fisheries countered with something like "Great idea, and you can commission our Fisheries Officers with your authority so we can come onto the reservation and enforce our laws." The tribe declined to give up any of its soveriegnity (sp?). I don't think tribal police officers have any authority over non Indians unless it is granted by local law enforcement - and the tribal officer better have really good I.D. if he stops a non Indian. Just my opinion, but I'm somewhat informed on this issue.