This is a topic of great importance to me as a guide on the Skagit and Sauk. Talked with Pete Castle, Skagit area biologist, late this afternoon to get the word on the rivers in my neck of the woods. It is true! This is what is proposed....PROPOSED!!! Not yet passed. Going in front of the state on Fri.
Skagit/ Sauk river system; Dec. 1st wild release. "Great!!! I'm all for that!!!" Wish it wasn't open for killing at all on the nates. As of March 1st both the Skagit and Sauk will be closed to ALL fishing.
This greatly affects my business as well as all the other business' in this area, as the Skagit brings fly fisherman from all over the world in April.
Yes, the Indians will be netting still and No, there is nothing anyone can do about it. It shouldn't even be worth waisting your energy on. What we need to do is let our voices be heard in Olympia before it goes through. Hell YES!!!! Make it C&R always on the Native run. But let us anglers at least fish for the fish we fall asleep each night dreaming about.
They did this to us once before in 92 guys, lets not let it happen again.
If its for the fish GREAT!!! But the state still cannot produce a definative study on hook mortality that shows we as anglers are wiping these fish out. Pete Castle even confirmed this for me today, stating that some studies showed as much as a 30% mortality rate while others showed only a 3% mortality rate.
B.B. we need a phone # here posted by you to let us know who and where to call in Olympia.
I'm sure this will be a hot topic in the forum board here for quite some time, as well as my chat room. Just wanted to post what I heard on the Skagit and Sauk.
Thanks Guys!!! J---<")(\(\)>{

"Life is short. Never pass up a hug. Look children in the eye when you talk to them. Bend the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."