Hopefully this can help answer some of the questions out there. I agree that pointing fingers isn't going to help our cause here. As for methodology on run assessment, while some of the factors (such as smolt counts as indicators of returns, and basing return projections on the last two year's returns) are faulty at best, the counting of fish appears to use the same method year to year, and while the number "6500" may not be an accurate number, at least the methods used to reach numbers like "2800" are the same and in relative terms, reasonably accurate. On the Skykomish, their counts are based on aerial survey of the main river and a combination of walking and floating the tributaries. These counts are based on a time period from early March well into May. In other words, they aren't counting every single fish, but they do get a pretty good indication of the run size relative to other years. Also, where tribal netting is concerned, the Tulalips (as I understand it) have voluntrarily cut six weeks of this winter's season (in Jan/Feb) to reduce wild fish take. I list these above points not to make excuses for any party, but to help us sport fisherman focus our arguments in places where we can be most effective. Also, as long as a certain percentage of us (sportfisherman) continue to be extremely opposed to C & R, the powers that be will view us as a divided and disorganized constituency. As I've heard from the fisheries management people, "Hey, you guys have to work out the problems within your community on your own." I personally am crushed by the closure, and am wondering what to do--I hope someone on this board has some suggestions. My sympathies also go out to all the guides and shops that make a living on our March/April fishery--while I spend 40-50 days on the river during this time, it's purely recreational. Anyway, I don't think anybody is out to screw us, they're just doing what they think is best for the fish. We may not agree with the reasons they have for closing it, and maybe we can find some compelling arguments for keeping it open (such as an extremely robust return of hatchery 2-salts this year, indicating improved ocean conditions, or the tiny amount of incidental mortality in C & R, or the financial importance of this fishery to guides and shops, etc...), but I'm pretty sure pointing fingers and blame isn't going to get us anywhere. Hope this helps, and as I said, anybody with ideas, please post or e-mail me. Thanks.