THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1021252 - 02/01/20 10:51 AM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

What's in it for the tribes? Simple, as stated above, transparency and trust. So far the tribes haven't needed to value either. Maybe they'll change their minds; maybe not. I think it's worthwhile to point out, as Bay wolf has done, that transparency and trust are on the table.

Now, about that cooperation. It remains to be seen whether that cooperation can be secured in the absence of transparency and trust. From Inslee I would say no doubt. Probably from Susewind too from my observation. But not all of the Legislature is for sale to the tribes, so we'll just have to see what transpires. BTW, time for everyone to make and send their 2-week reminders to Legislators about WDFW's budget request, support or oppose, or conditionally support. Both your district senator and representatives and to the Senate Environment and Natural Resources committee members.

#1021269 - 02/01/20 12:30 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Note that the Tribes are pushing hard to be the only folks allowed to provide Sports Betting in the state. More money to "donate".

#1021278 - 02/01/20 01:41 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Salmo g.]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
Given history, I dont think "trust us we can help you" is much of a carrot in tribal country.

#1021280 - 02/01/20 01:56 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: darth baiter]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: darth baiter
Given history, I dont think "trust us we can help you" is much of a carrot in tribal country.

I suppose that’s true...
I guess we deserve everything that’s happing...sins of the father and all that.

I wonder if that’s the consensus of the First Nations citizens, that it’s time to pay back?

#1021283 - 02/01/20 03:05 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
I guess time will tell. At this point...we don’t have much left to give up, but the longer the tribes take to build trust and cooperation the more we all lose.

Oh, we have a LOT more that we as rec's can lose. I still have pretty good fishing 12 months out of the year, although I have to drive a bit and spend some coin. The unfortunate thing is that we rec's have nothing of value to give. The Department does not seem to act in our interest, so we don't have anything they want,

fb

#1021286 - 02/01/20 03:44 PM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
And money-wise, this isn't a pink year so WDFW can't gin up license sales with "The Pinks are Coming".

#1021305 - 02/02/20 08:30 AM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
When you are asking somebody to come to the table, there has to be something in it for them. What does the NI (rec) side offer to the Tribes in exchange for "open" meetings? They gonna get more fish? What would they get that they don't have already?

Or, what might they lose by being intransigent on agreeing to open meetings - a concept some of the tribes espouse as a worthwhile concept at least for their internal governmental activities?

I recall testimony by tribal representatives during the legislative hearing over the closure of early winter run steelhead (thank you WFC) where those tribal reps pushed for cooperation.

Yet here we are.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1021392 - 02/03/20 10:58 AM Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Just read the article about the Lifeblood Documentary in the latest issue of Northwest Sportsmans Magazine.
LifeBlood, Northwest Sportsman Magazine

Interesting read.

Perhaps members of Puget Sound Anglers could contact Mr. Garner and ask him for his assistance in ending the trust killing closed door meetings, just as we did to Vice Chair Yanity?

Mr. Garner's special relationship with the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission would place him in a unique position to speak on behalf of the non-tribal citizens.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1107 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |