Leech lake
Long lake
Mcdowell lake
Quail lake

#240795 - 04/15/04 11:51 AM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
...and how many thousands of river and lakes are there in this state?

#240796 - 04/15/04 12:15 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I don't mind if there are a few ff'g only areas...especially if they're put'n'take lakes designed to promote a "quality" fishery...but you won't find me advocating for any more in anadromous fishing zones.

If any of those areas need extra protection from bait, or treble hooks, or high pressure fishing, than selective gear rules ought to be sufficient for all of those reasons.

Every once in a while a fly-guy will get a bit up in arms saying that gear guys have so many more places to fish...which, of course, is pure bunk. I always ask them "Show me one, single, place in the State where a flyfisherman cannot fish during an open season"...which they can't.

Every single place that is open for any kind of fishing anywhere is open to a flyfisherman, they actually have the greatest opportunity of all gear types.

Now, I realize that just because Blue Creek is open to flyfishing, it would be a bit hard to flyfish there with all the gear guys around, though I've seen them manage at Reiter, which isn't a whole lot better as far as room goes.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#240798 - 04/15/04 01:17 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I would add one of the more famous pieces of Fly Fishing Only Water - the North Fork of the Stillaguamish. However, it is important to note that the North Fork fishery is fly fishing only for a specific period of time during the year and the Kalama has 2 (I think) specific areas of fly fishing only. I'm not sure if there is any further caveats on the Hoko.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#240799 - 04/15/04 02:28 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Thanks

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#240800 - 04/15/04 03:57 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
DJFISHS2XS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oak Harbor Wa
I also should have mention that most are catch and release...I realy dont have a problem with Fly only spots its the guys who try to mandate new "special" rules for a select group of fishermen that I dont like. how about it we have places where just blond haired people can fish. I have black hair its just an example....DJ

#240801 - 04/15/04 04:09 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
Every once in a while a fly-guy will get a bit up in arms saying that gear guys have so many more places to fish...which, of course, is pure bunk. I always ask them "Show me one, single, place in the State where a flyfisherman cannot fish during an open season"...which they can't.
I think it would be pretty hard to FF for springers in the Columbia. Or how about chinook at Pt. Defiance? Or lake trout in Chelan? There are many places like these that it is nearly impossible to get a fly down to the fish. Now you said "open areas" and yes fly fishers can fish anywhere but, that does not mean that they can fish for what the gear guys are targeting and catching.This is what I belive thouse fly fishermen ment by what they said.

Oh and about anadromous areas, I belive that FF only is a great way to help a fishery since 95+% of fish caught by fly fishermen are released. It's just what most fly fishermen do. I don't belive that you will get that percentage in a "selective gear" water.

#240802 - 04/15/04 04:23 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
General question in the 'don't know dept.' In the 'fly only' waters in Washington is/are you 'restricted' to an actual fly rod/line?

We have about a 4 month 'fly only' on the upper Rogue but you can use a spinning rod/float ... just no weight below the float (except for the fly's themselves).

More restrictive (to put it mildly) on the North Umpqua.

#240803 - 04/15/04 04:26 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
DJFISHS2XS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oak Harbor Wa
FJ

I agree that they release fish but I also think soft fly rods and the drag of the heavy fly line along with the slow fight due to a small leader test also kill more fish due to exhaustion...DJ

#240804 - 04/15/04 04:39 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

FJ,

Quote:
that does not mean that they can fish for what the gear guys are targeting and catching.This is what I belive thouse fly fishermen ment by what they said.
No...they mean they want more fly-only waters, where only they can fish.

Fred,

In Washington, flyfishing only means no fixed-spool reels (i.e., spinning reels), a certain length of fly line, and lures must be made of certain materials (traditional fly materials).

Oh, also FJ, flyflingers may release a lot of fish, but be careful going down that road. I'm a 90% gear fisherman, and I release ten times as many fish as *most* \:D of my flyfishing brethren catch in a year, and I release way, way, over 95% of what I catch.

Fish on...

Todd

#240805 - 04/15/04 04:55 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
First off I didn't want to open a new can of worms!

I ask for info from DJ to enlighten me on new areas! And he did, Thanks again.

I don't get around the state like I use to.

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#240806 - 04/15/04 05:24 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Generally, I agree that "fly only" is pretty lame and only serves to create a situation were every fly fisher in the state shows up on the weekends and makes for a rather crowded fishing experience.

I can see how the catch rate is less for flies, generally, than other gear so it helps foster environments with larger fish. But, I'm not sure how a spoon with a single barbless hook would cause anymore mortality than a wooley bugger. I don't see that fighting time is more lengthy with a fly rod, thoguh, which as been argued. Most fishers are conscious of chosing appropriately meaty equipment for the fish they go after. Sure there are exceptions, but that's life.

I'd like to see selective gear/C&R rules in our lakes and rivers increase. Keep the existing fly-only waters, though. There are a lot of fly fishers than only fish fly only water so by keeping up those exclusive locations, it'll keep them away from where I fish! :p I fish a lot of places that are open to everyone and generally get a whole lot less pressure than those special fly only spots.

You know, I've done quite a bit of fishing in BC. My observation is that there are at least 3 times as many, if not more, fly only waters there than in this state. Interesting...they also have a lot more "quality" fisheries, IMO.

#240807 - 04/15/04 05:34 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
ramon vb Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
Before reading any further, all please note that this is my personal opinion; it does not necessarily represent a WT position.

But one thing I think is not being considered is something called "angler efficiency." For most anadromous species, under most conditions, flyfishers hook fewer fish than anglers using other gear types (in the aggregate), never mind what the relative hooking mortalities are or what people do with the hooked fish once they're landed. The point being that a rule allowing only flyfishing could be used as a legitimate management tool to reduce fishing-related impacts, while still allowing some angling opportunity. I'm not advocating it; just making a point that privacy for us elitists isn't the only possible motive for such a regulation.

And I'm not exactly sure what's so "discriminatory" about it anyway. The analogy about blondies doesn't work, because the regulation would be unlikely to apply to only those of us who already own flyrods. To be perfectly frank, I think there may be a few of you I would rather not have to fish with, but a flyfishing-only reg wouldn't necessarily guarantee me that luxury, as the reg doesn't stop you from going out and buying yourself a flyrod. Likewise, nothing in the regs stops me from going out and buying some new tackle so that I would have an actual opportunity to go out to Possession and bother you guys with my snotty purist presence, never mind how much you may dislike my ilk.

#240808 - 04/15/04 05:37 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
kris burnett Offline
Fry

what about the upper hoh in the park????
It was selective gear for years and i never saw another sole up there. Then all of the sudden its fly only water Can you tell me why? From what the park ranger said its because of the ahole ranger who wanted a private place to have there fly fishing club. I agree fly only waters can be good in some places with really depressed runs (cause they catch less fish) but the hoh isnt and you still dont see alot of ff guys up there. MOST ff guys seem like cry fishermen to me and we should all be able to fish the same waters. sorry for rambling on but this issue of fly only waters really pisses me off.
Thanks kris

#240810 - 04/15/04 06:29 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
ramon vb Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well, Aunty I have to say I kind of like your plan, because, well, that would be me. ;\)

#240811 - 04/15/04 06:44 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Quote:
Therefore, we should only allow people who catch 10% of the fish 90% of the time fish the most productive spots.
Hey, now! Wait just a gall durn minute...

#240812 - 04/15/04 07:03 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Well, I see both points. Luckily, I do both, so no biggie. LOL. But VB, sorry to say but your account doesn't hold water. It is a blonde hair type thing. What would happen if someone who has been fishing a stretch for 20+ years suddenly is told they can't fish there unless they use a fly? I feel a "selective gear rules" would well fit the bill. I agree with Kris about the upper Hoh. I used to fish it myself alot, but ONLY with fly anyways. But would suck for those who would like to toss spoons or spinners. And just because one is fishing gear, isn't a guarantee they're catching fish. I can see flyfishing only lakes. But not rivers, especially navigatible rivers. If anyone can float them, anyone should be able to fish them (minus bait for those fish close to spawning).

Lastly, if someone is bound and determined to catch a fish on a fly in deep lakes/bays, then do it. But you won't be doing the traditional method. Go take a flyspool and spool it with straight mono. Then attach to your fly rod and hook that mono to a downrigger. That way, when your fly is hooked, you're playing on a fly rod. Isn't that hard. In fact I've fished a flyrod successfully at Dalco/Pt D. All I did was take an old Martin Saltwater reel (don't think they're made anymore, but are huge) and filled that sucker FULL of 30# backing. Then used a 15-20' of lead core flyline (can buy the sinktip kits for them). Then attach a small section of tippet and fly. The initial strip was worst part feeding enough line to get to bottom. After that, just strip into a stripping basket and recast. Worked great, and caught alot of kings and silvers in the salt that way.

Northwest River Fisherman

#240813 - 04/15/04 07:18 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

When "fly guys" use weighted leader and strike indicators, what is the difference? Purely the name. I can cast and retreive my fly outfit just at easily as my baitcaster. Silly.

#240814 - 04/15/04 07:22 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
ramon vb Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well that's fair enough, but don't current regs suck for guys who grew up snagging? What about live bait? And what about folks who can't afford any kind of fishing tackle, or don't want to have to learn how to use it? Are they being descriminated against because the regs prohibit spearing fish with a pointy stick?

Again, I'm not advocating anything. I hate having to fish around a bunch of other flyfishers; they're snotty and they take up too much room (that I need). I'm just trying to make the point that ALL regulations are restrictive of SOMETHING, and you can't really claim you're being persecuted just because you don't WANT to have to get with the program.

#240816 - 04/15/04 07:38 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
kris burnett Offline
Fry

have you guys ever noticed that the best fly guys ive seen use large strike indicators with split shot and an egg shaped fly or bead or a weighted fly and indicator just like Float fishing?????? or is it just me???
kris
Also do you guys know about the hoh situation. I heard the ranger moved and he might open it again for spinners and what not. Maybee Bob might know. this is purley 3rd hand.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |