Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#240858 - 04/17/04 12:28 AM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
The only agenda is to be proactive for wild steelhead and preserve angling opportunity for the "deemed healthy" streams before they fall victim to the trends of other rivers in the state.

There is still hatchery fish to harvest! Also the two year moratorium will give time and opportunity to come up with improved steelhead management plans.

#240859 - 04/17/04 12:38 AM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Double Haul,

I was hopin' you was gonna be sayin' that we need more flyflingin' only spots. I was gonna challenge ya to a fight.

Instead you had to go and be reasonable.

Whattayasay we outlaw spey rods on any river that begins with "S"... \:D \:D

I guess then I'd have Homer and Sinktip after me...I could take either one of 'em

Later...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#240860 - 04/17/04 02:42 AM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Todd

But you better have your twin with

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#240861 - 04/17/04 04:11 AM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by DJFISHS2XS:
one of my co workers (a non fishermen)pointed out that sparkys fight ,resolve and ambition to stand up to what he thinks is right, reminds him of my passion and love of fishing. (gave me something to think about) So even though we disagree (you big fly weenie) dont change a bit the sport grows on passion.
You make a great point...we are all passionate about the sport and the fish. The sport and the fish are important to each and every one of us but in many many different ways. I hate to say it but I think the bickering that takes place is inevitable because of this.

...if only we could put our differances aside and put the fish first. But then again, like I just said, the fish are important to us in different ways...

What are we to do???

#240862 - 04/17/04 02:37 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Todd

I'm waiting!

I just had to say it

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#240863 - 04/17/04 03:14 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

H2H,

What....you waitin' to scrap?

If I wait until the afternoon, you'll be so tired from all that flailing I can probably keep casting while I whoop up on ya!

Todd

#240864 - 04/17/04 03:31 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

You got it sucker!

Hey Todd I got a new TuTu
It looks great on me!

#240865 - 04/17/04 05:24 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Ok, Ok...

This is where I swallow my pride, Homer, and take one for the team.

Todd
Official silver medal winner in the scrap w/ Homer.

#240866 - 04/18/04 01:34 AM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Jeff D Offline
Spawner

Loc: S. Whidbey
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Vedder:
... no elite fly fishers allowed, unless they can chew tobacco, cuss like a logger, and ...
If I'm lucky enough to EVER become an "elite" fly fisherman - hope I don't loose my Chimacum upbringing!

Isn't that what distinguishes real NW fishermen from Eastcoasters? ... ;\) Real Fly FisherMEN, who cuss when it's appropriate, chew tobacco on on the water, and use spell check before posting.
\:D - If Fly fishing in romeo's and a hand-me-down filson offends, maybe consider moving.

(Not you Dave ... I took the liberty of changing effete to elite, if I'm wrong, this post really looses it's puch)

Seriously, I can't see how a different way to catch fish can be bad! (I'm just learning) I encourage other gear fishemen to give fly fishing a try. I think most people just don't like to endure the learning curve and expense of a new sport. Don't know that I'll forgo one for the other though.

And Todd: I agree Posers are irritating anywhere: @ Tower Records, on the trail/campground, on the river, ski slopes, and so on, and so on.

#240868 - 04/18/04 02:30 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn, WA USA
KK, do you think it is a good idea to have a CnR fishery where bait is allowed?

#240870 - 04/18/04 02:47 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

What about barbed treble hooks, do you think they are a good idea in a CnR fishery?

#240872 - 04/18/04 02:56 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

So would you agree that if we are going to have a statewide WSR ruling then it should be a no bait single barbless hook fishery? Wouldn't that be in the best interest of the fish?

#240874 - 04/18/04 03:11 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

"Now, Bruce, would you support WSR if bait were allowed.or trebles? Turnabout is fair play..ya think?"

I think having a CnR fishery that allows the use of bait or anything more than a single barbless hook is not in the fishes best interest and should not be allowed.

Now a no bait, single barbless hook may not be fly fishing only but it is pretty close.

#240876 - 04/18/04 03:20 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Ok you got me \:\)

Fly fishing and selective gear/single barbless hooks and no bait are not close and using bait in a CnR fishery might be a good idea.

#240878 - 04/18/04 03:40 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

"Bait in a CnR fishery may simply be the type of compromise that is needed to further the goal of increasing wild stocks."

Maybe until the next rule setting cycle. Then some groups may decide that a statewide bait ban is needed or a statewide single barbless hook fishery is need. All in the name of conservation of course, after all why in the world would you want to fish for wild steelhead using bait or treble hooks?

It's all a step in the right direction, right?

#240880 - 04/18/04 05:22 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood
Quote:
I would think some fishing is better than none, but I am probably wrong (again).

I would like to re-phrase that so it more accuratley reflects what I think you're really saying.

"I would think fishing for some is better than none"

NOT!!

#240881 - 04/18/04 05:32 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
I my self like the Idea of fly fishing only waters especially if they C&R. I mean were in this state can you catch trophy size trout. The pressure on lakes and ponds that get stocked is just totally outrageous. I went to Blackmans Pond in Snohomish last week and there was like 50 boats, tubes, pontoon rafts out there and the docks were just literally covered with people. I said I am not going to fish that went to Pass Lake on 20 and ther was only like ten people out there it was great. Caught some very nice rainbows about 18 to 22 inchs and some pretty scrappy cutthroat. I wasnt disappointed I had to put them back Fishing doesnt always mean keep the fish to eat if you enjoy then practice catch and release.

#240883 - 04/18/04 05:49 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood
Quote:
Try reading the posts before that, and note the civilized tone. Try it ....you'll like it.

So am I uncivilized because I eat fish, or becase I dont agree with you? I just want to get it right, so I know how to respond.

#240885 - 04/18/04 06:35 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by stlhd_dreaming:
I my self like the Idea of fly fishing only waters especially if they C&R. I mean were in this state can you catch trophy size trout. The pressure on lakes and ponds that get stocked is just totally outrageous. I went to Blackmans Pond in Snohomish last week and there was like 50 boats, tubes, pontoon rafts out there and the docks were just literally covered with people. I said I am not going to fish that went to Pass Lake on 20 and ther was only like ten people out there it was great. Caught some very nice rainbows about 18 to 22 inchs and some pretty scrappy cutthroat. I wasnt disappointed I had to put them back Fishing doesnt always mean keep the fish to eat if you enjoy then practice catch and release.
A statewide mandatory wild steelhead CnR policy will definalty give some people more room to fish stlhd_dreaming.

It is nice having some selected waters set aside for that purpose, I also enjoy the solitude that it creates.....

#240887 - 04/18/04 07:01 PM Re: Fly fishing only waters
Bruce Pearson Offline
Returning Adult

"Bruce.....you and I both know, that WSR does not restrict one's opportunity to fish, just to kill."

Of course it doesn't but there's no denying that this type of regulation usually results in less Angler participation, just like stlhd_dreaming pointed out.

I guess it boils down to what your perception of opportunity is.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |