Rate This Topic
#270935 - 08/25/04 04:17 PM Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Lawyer Quits Bush Campaign
Ginsberg Advised Anti-Kerry Group
By SHARON THEIMER, Reuters

WASHINGTON (Aug. 25) -- An election lawyer for President Bush who also has been advising a veterans group running TV ads against Democrat John Kerry resigned Wednesday from Bush's campaign.

''I cannot begin to express my sadness that my legal representations have become a distraction from the critical issues at hand in this election,'' Benjamin Ginsberg wrote in a resignation letter to Bush released by the campaign.

''I feel I cannot let that continue, so I have decided to resign as national counsel to your campaign to ensure that the giving of legal advice to decorated military veterans, which was entirely within the boundaries of the law, doesn't distract from the real issues upon which you and the country should be focusing.''

Ginsberg's acknowledgment Tuesday evening that he was providing legal advice to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth marked the second time in days that a person associated with the Bush-Cheney campaign had been connected to the group, which Kerry accuses of being a front for the Republican incumbent's re-election effort.

The Bush campaign and the veterans' group have said repeatedly that there is no coordination.

Lawyers on the Democratic side are also representing both the campaign or party and outside groups running ads in the presidential race. Ginsberg's dual role has drawn attention because of an ad the Swift Boat Veterans group ran accusing Kerry of exaggerating his Vietnam War record, an issue that has dominated the campaign since early August.

Kerry has fired back by accusing Bush of using the group to run a smear campaign for him. Democrats have jumped on any tie, even if legal, to back up that claim.

''The sudden resignation of Bush's top lawyer doesn't end the extensive web of connections between George Bush and the group trying to smear John Kerry's military record,'' Kerry-Edwards campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill said Wednesday. ''In fact, it only confirms the extent of those connections.''

In Ginsberg's letter to Bush, he accused the media of a ''stunning double standard'' between its focus on the activities of groups supporting Kerry and those that oppose him.

Kerry is the subject of complaints by the Bush campaign and the Republican National Committee accusing his campaign of illegally coordinating anti-Bush ads with soft-money groups on the Democratic side, allegations Kerry and the groups deny.

Neither campaign has produced proof of coordination on the part of its rival.

Joe Sandler, a lawyer for the DNC and a group running anti-Bush ads, MoveOn.org, said there is nothing wrong with serving in both roles at once.

In addition to the FEC's coordination rules, attorneys are ethically bound to maintain attorney-client confidentiality, Sandler said. They could lose their law licenses if they violate that, he said.

Ginsberg said Tuesday he never told the Bush campaign what he discussed with the veterans group, or vice versa, and didn't advise the group on ad strategies.

The group ''came to me and said, 'We have a point of view we want to get into the First Amendment debate right now. There's a new law. It's very complicated. We want to comply with the law, will you keep us in the bounds of the law?''' Ginsberg said in an interview with The Associated Press. ''I said yes, absolutely, as I would do for anyone.''

Ginsberg said he had not yet decided whether to charge the Swift Boat Veterans a fee for his work.

On Saturday, retired Air Force Col. Ken Cordier resigned as a member of the Bush campaign's veterans' steering committee after it was learned that he appeared in the commercial.

Ginsberg represented the Bush campaign in 2000 and became a prominent figure during the Florida recount.

He also served as counsel to the RNC in its unsuccessful lawsuit seeking to overturn the new federal campaign finance law, which banned the national party committees from collecting corporate and union contributions and unlimited donations known as soft money and imposed stricter rules on coordination involving parties, candidates and interest groups.

Larry Noble, head of the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics campaign watchdog group and former FEC general counsel, said it's true that serving as a lawyer for both a campaign and a soft-money group isn't considered automatic evidence of coordination under commission rules, but he added that it doesn't mean the FEC won't look at it.

''I think there's a valid question about when you're talking about strictly legal advice and when you're talking about policy issues and strategic issues,'' Noble said. ''It's fair to ask what the advice is about.''

08/25/04 12:11 EDT
------------------------------------------------------------

Ginsberg said Tuesday he never told the Bush campaign what he discussed with the veterans group, or vice versa, and didn't advise the group on ad strategies.

Believe that and I will assume you have all seen the Easter Bunny. No connection?

Right? :rolleyes:

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#270936 - 08/25/04 04:22 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Pierce County, Washington
Okay, last time....Let's try this again:

AP original story

Quote from that story:

Quote:
Joe Sandler, a lawyer for the DNC and a group running anti-Bush ads, MoveOn.org, said there is nothing wrong with serving in both roles at once.
Please try again.......

#270938 - 08/25/04 05:46 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by AuntyM:
Gee... there's nothing wrong with it at all. It just gives the APPEARANCE of something wrong, or he wouldn't have resigned. \:D
So you think its okay for democrats but not republicans....That is what you are saying.

Thats ok, while you continue to attack the messanger, the message stays.

#270940 - 08/25/04 06:37 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Where did I attack the messenger? I think you're mistaken or paranoid.

Righteousness hasn't stopped you neocons from endorsing LIES about John Kerry.

What's good for the goose.... \:D
The messanger are the SBVT. More and more proof comes out about his "time in Nam" and more and more he is caught in lies....

Your right, what is good for the goose....

#270942 - 08/25/04 07:04 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
The liars were already exposed. Go read a newspaper. It was Kerry that lied.
Your right, Kerry was exposed as a liar. Can't forget that Cambodia fib now, can we.....

BTW AM, I supplied spellcheck for you for free on your quote..... ;\)

#270944 - 08/25/04 07:30 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Keep telling yourself that AM and someday you may actually believe it.....

It was SEARED into my memory I tell you...SEARED!

What do you say about his first purple heart earned by the so called firefight when in his own journal he states that they hadn't seen combat in over nine days and that time period covers when he was supposed to be injured....

Washington Post article

Yep, keep drinking that Kool-Aid. Just don't forget to go to the bathroom.

#270946 - 08/25/04 07:43 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Lets not forget the rice in the ass purple heart...

He then wrote up his own action report for it and it was denied. He then submitted it again above the chain of command...
Yep, thats honorable....

Oh, and the firefight that never happened either is good. Five boats, one of which is damaged and the only firing going on is coming from the swift boats into the jungle. After three minutes, all firing stops and they realize that they killed a few trees....And Kerry's boat was retreating....

Such bravery by Kerry....

Yep, someday you will believe those lies too...

#270947 - 08/25/04 08:04 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
AuntyM

Hoffman should be ashamed to say one thing all those years ago and change his mind now. He failed to do his JOB.

Bet righty will call that honorable service.

Lets not forget Bushy boys military record. Where can we find anyone that can vouch for Bushy service in the Alabama National Guard? You would think there would be one single Righty that served with him and would be on Fox News 24/7. But guess what? There is'nt one, because he was AWOL.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#270948 - 08/25/04 08:46 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by John Lee Hookum:

Lets not forget Bushy boys military record. Where can we find anyone that can vouch for Bushy service in the Alabama National Guard? You would think there would be one single Righty that served with him and would be on Fox News 24/7. But guess what? There is'nt one, because he was AWOL.
Bush AWOL...blah,blah,blah....

Please try again. This BS claim has been around since the 94 Ann Richards campaign brought it up and never has it been proven. Stick to the issues at hand....

Kerry lied and POW's died....

#270950 - 08/25/04 08:52 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Yep, Kerry went to Vietnam and appears he lied about two of his purple hearts so that he could "bail" on his buddies and tell lies in front of Congress...

But hey, character is not an issue anymore, isn't it?

Do all you guys get your talking points from the Democratic Underground or what?

#270952 - 08/25/04 09:36 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
Kerry went to Vietnam and appears he lied about two of his purple hearts
This hasn't been proven either, same as the allegations about Bush.

But I understand how prrof is important to you in one case, but not the other.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#270953 - 08/25/04 10:10 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Quote:

Apparently NOT, when we have an AWOL, draft dodging, convicted criminal for a President.
I didn't realize that this thread had been changed to include Bill Clinton's draft dodging, awol, convicted criminal record.....

I'm sorry....

#270955 - 08/25/04 10:13 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan S.:
Quote:
Kerry went to Vietnam and appears he lied about two of his purple hearts
This hasn't been proven either, same as the allegations about Bush.

But I understand how prrof is important to you in one case, but not the other.
Here is the main difference Dan. The SBVT claim certain things about John Kerry that only he can disprove if he releases all of his records which he won't do. These claims are also being made by people that served with him.

This BS awol claim is being made by liberal activists and not by people that served with Bush.

Big difference there.

#270957 - 08/25/04 10:15 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Yes, I agree. I am sorry.
AM, you should be sorry. You haven't backed up a single claim yet.....

All of Bush's records are out including his medical records...

JFK can clear this all up if he would do the same but he won't....

I wonder why.......

#270958 - 08/25/04 10:17 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Quote:
This BS awol claim is being made by liberal activists and not by people that served with Bush.
Because they can't FIND any. Of course, they weren't looking in the local bars.

\:D
You keep making my point. You have nothing on Bush but liberal hersay and BS......

#270959 - 08/25/04 10:18 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Bush could clear his name as well. There ARE documents somewhere that would show where he was and when.

It's EXACTLY the same, you're just looking through your GOP prescription lenses.

The questions are swirling around the both of them. You're only interested in the answers YOU are looking for. That makes YOU biased, not the media.

Quote:
All of Bush's records are out
No they aren't. What kind of stories are you telling here?

#270961 - 08/25/04 10:22 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Bush could clear his name as well. There ARE documents somewhere that would show where he was and when.

It's EXACTLY the same, you're just looking through your GOP prescription lenses.

The questions are swirling around the both of them. You're only interested in the answers YOU are looking for. That makes YOU biased, not the media.
Explain to me then please why this has been around since 94, every liberal organization has tried (and even tried to pay people to lie) to find information. Bush's record is clean. You can't find one person who he served with that will say anything negative about him. Even when he transferred to Alabama, people said that he served. His medical records are clean too.....

JFK WON'T release anymore of his own records while Bush has. Why?

#270962 - 08/25/04 10:25 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Mau10Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
blah,blah,blah,blah......
Liberal truth...blah,blah,blah......

Why don't you try and defend Kerry's senatorial record instead of lie about Bush......

Can't do that because it can't be defended....

#270963 - 08/25/04 10:29 PM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Dan S. Offline

How does one prove someone WASN'T somewhere?

Prove there's no Easter Bunny.

Bush could prove he WAS there, and hasn't.

Do you wonder why about that?

#270966 - 08/26/04 12:19 AM Re: Campaign Lawer linked to not so swift resign
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
Quote:

You're only interested in the answers YOU are looking for. That makes YOU biased, not the media.

[/QB]
-----------------------------------------------------------

As someone once said (DanS I believe),"Pot meet the kettle".

DanS,

You've already suggested that you voted for Bill Clinton (a verifiable draft-dodger) twice as opposed to the verifiable war heros Bush 41 and Bob Dole who ran against him.

So why do you keep saying/suggesting ones service record vs. another is an issue of importance?

The last time I brought up that inconsistancy you said it was because Bush is comparing their respective records. The fact is that it's Kerry and the left which have put that pot on the front burner--Bush has said that he respects and honors Kerry's service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 995 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645365 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |