Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38101 - 10/24/06 08:42 AM Kwikfish Custom Painting
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

A long time ago, in a beautiful forest by a lake, a young man gave his shopping list to his errand girl. The list was to be filled at a SportCo in a far off hamlet near the sea, called Fife. Magic was to be made with these special lures, these Kwikfish. But very specific colors were needed. Unfortunately the shopkeeper was desirous of unloading on the unknowing lass, all the most hideous horse crap colors which he could not otherwise sell. These colors awoke memories of seagull vomit, and dried rat turds.

Powerful? Yes. But not exactly what the fine young lad was hoping for...

So what I'm trying to say is, has anybody here ever tried airbrushing their own custom paint jobs on the Kwikies? I came into owning some horrid colored kwikies and it got me thinking about repainting them.

I'm close to buying an airbrush and compressor. Just curious what kind of expertise is already out there. Seems silly to run around town looking for that perfect pattern when a person could just spray their own.

#38102 - 10/24/06 10:15 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by VHawk:
I'm close to buying an airbrush and compressor.
Vince,

First of all, don't you realize it would be far cheaper to toss the lame kwickies in the trash and buy all new cool kwickies at full retail than to go this route?

Ahh, but what am I thinking? Of course you do.

Let's see now, you've been married, what?, a month now and already you're going to these great lengths to justify your "need" for MORE TOOLS. Pitiful my man. Is fishing that slow even for you? I thought you of all people knew that colors caught fisherman not fish.

It would have been so much easier if you had just taken a poll to see how many guys think you DESERVE some new tools. That way you could just go back to the little lady and say, "looky here honey, the board boys think I ought to get a new compressor too".

Vince, you know "da boys" are always there for ya, but man you are coming dangerously close to blaming your wife for this sad state of affairs. And believe me, none of us want to see you make that age old mistake. Ya gotta getta grip man. What's next a chainsaw for your balsa wood poppers?

Oh, btw, you might want to check with Doc or Stam on airbrush techniques. wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#38103 - 10/24/06 10:42 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
I haven't used a airbrush, but I have used some Dicknite paint on them with success. I know a guide on the Skykomish that has air brushed them and had success. Something new never hurts.

#38104 - 10/24/06 10:47 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Why not just take them back and get what you want. Its not like you could not "see" that they were junk and opened them anyway ??

On another note, ever been out in the boat and had someone "insist" on putting on something that you perceive to be a piece of crap, then proceed to go like 4 for 4 in two hours on that " piece of junk" ???

#38105 - 10/24/06 11:40 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Kerry Offline
Parr

Loc: Woodinville
I use an air brush all the time and I will paint what ever you want for free just e mail me or call me and I will hook you up.
Kerry

#38106 - 10/24/06 06:47 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
fishforlife Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: redmond wash
man that sounds cool just think of the colors u could come up with

#38107 - 10/24/06 07:05 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Man, I wish I was good with Photoshop because I can think of some hilarious prototypes...

The George W. model - looks OK but is always facing the wrong direction, snagging up, and blaming Clinton when it fails to catch fish

The Mingo model - Big and yummy (and they are only sold by the pair).

The Big Stick model - small, with prominent veins and a purple head

-Kaiser D.

#38108 - 10/25/06 08:36 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Mooch,

It's not about what's cheaper. If I wanted to save money I'd quit fishing. This is an opportunity to experiment, and try some new patterns that absolutely nobody else has. Same reason I spent 4 hours cutting 10 square feet of 6 foot high blackberry bushes at the outlet to Capitol Lake...to go where no man has gone before.

Now on a per hour basis I don't think I am anymore succesful than the next guy on this board; but I have more fun per fish than most, with part of that coming from trying new stuff. Its exciting. Not enough to make me pee my pants, but sometimes damm close.

And as far as justifying anything to my wife, it's not anything I'll need to worry about. When I mentioned buying an airbrush and compressor she said "Thats another good reason why we need a house with a big work shed." She wants the work shed so she can start wrapping rods as well. Yes, that is a good woman. She is fun to fish with as well. That's why I married her.

Thanks Mooch, I'll check with both Doc and Stam.

VHawk

#38109 - 10/25/06 08:44 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
"The Mingo model - Big and yummy (and they are only sold by the pair)."

Ain't that the truth

eek

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#38110 - 10/25/06 09:36 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Alright then, Vince. I'll leave you to your own devices. wink

I'm just glad you figured this out BEFORE you got married. laugh
Quote:
Originally posted by VHawk:
It's not about what's cheaper.
But if you ever run out of "fun" stuff to do, I've always got a few acres that need mowing and a barn to paint. smile
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#38111 - 10/25/06 10:36 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
Sure, Paint my own lures all of the time. In fact I cannot find spoons as big as I like so I even make my own sometimes. I have a certain ocean spoon I can never find in the colors I want so I have to paint them myself. i usually order a dozen att a time. Most of the time friends are not catching so I give them a pair and starts depleting my inventory pretty quick.

Actually becomes a lot of fun.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#38112 - 10/25/06 11:19 AM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally posted by Vhawk:
Quote:
She is fun to fish with as well. That's why I married her.
Word on the street is, she's going to catch more fish than you FOREVER. laugh

#38114 - 10/25/06 12:59 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Loc: Port Angeles
rofl rofl

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#38115 - 10/25/06 01:30 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
DiverX Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton
Vince,

I suggest you start off with the airbrush they sell for those plastic models. They use cans of propellant instead of a compressor. They will get you through a few lures. If you decide this is too wimpy and you have more stuff that needs airbrush work, go to a compressor setup. Here is a link.
Model Airbrush Kit

Later.

#38116 - 10/25/06 04:22 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
DanS: Still working on getting proper action under a float.
I deserved that. laugh

Damn things pull the float under all the time.....so there I am looking up, seeing no float, setting the hook on a fish that isn't there, looking like a jackass.

I'm crafting a float out of a Nerf football to take care of that problem. wink

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#38117 - 10/25/06 05:55 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Could be a new business on the board if you got blank Kwikfish and started airbrushing them and making custom Kwikfish. You could probably sell them off the board to members

#38118 - 10/25/06 07:12 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Stam, that was funny. To add insult to injury, the Salmo g. model only works when hung off a Spey rod and given a bait wrap. Ugh! Feel so dirty; must bathe.

#38119 - 10/25/06 07:30 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
jandlfishingguide Offline
Repeat Spawner

Vince what colors are they??????? Might want to take them off your hands. Let me know?

#38120 - 10/25/06 07:56 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Hunter 07:
Could be a new business on the board if you got blank Kwikfish and started airbrushing them and making custom Kwikfish. You could probably sell them off the board to members
I learned the hard way how to get "blank" plugs. Its simple really. Get a big box of plugs that you feel need washing up a bit.. then just run them through the dish washer. The metallic colored ones will now be white plastic, there will be little flecks of paint all over the dish washer and your wife will call you a dumb ass.

I know this to be true

#38122 - 10/25/06 09:08 PM Re: Kwikfish Custom Painting
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Word on the street is, she's going to catch more fish than you FOREVER.
Ya'll are spending too much time on Herb Street.
I'd brag about Sunday's run, but I think I'm in trouble for letting all the fish go.

DiverX,

Thanks for the link. I think that might be the way to get my feet, fingers, floor, and maybe my lures wet with paint. I appreciate the info. Anything that saves me a few bucks, or time, or comfort is appreciated. I still thank Todd everytime it rains.

B-Run,

Damm that is funny. Even funnier is that I've run my kwikies in the dishwasher. I didn't know the metal ones would strip. Thanks for saving me from being called a dumbass.

VHawk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1417 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |