THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#491230 - 02/26/09 10:11 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Capt Downriggin']
Sabi Offline
Juvenille at Sea

This guy legally bonks a fish of a life time and some of you are threatening his life. Somethings never change on this site. I've never seen such a backwards group.

#491256 - 02/26/09 11:51 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Sabi]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LynnHood
It's not against the the law, just against the the law of Fish & Nature!

Edited by BCB (02/27/09 01:28 AM)

"I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!"
Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

#491266 - 02/27/09 12:49 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: BCB]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
Quote: Gone Fission
"Are we not angered by the kill of this unique fish most of all because we'd like the opportunity to catch one ourselves (or for our children)? If the answer to that is yes, then our motives are selfish as well--albeit much less so--but certianly not beyond reproach. Unless you're one of those that is most angered because fish are meant to swim entirely unmolested in rivers (translte to PETA), you're guilty of exploiting the resource--I know I am."

That is exactly why everyone here is so pissed off. Every single time one of those fish is removed from the gene pool it is that much more unlikely that anyone else will get a chance to catch one. While I am pretty pissed about it I try to withhold my comments toward the individual. I have never caught one that size. I may never catch one even close to that size. But I would sure like to know that the oppurtunity is still there. When I first arrived on the peninsula, I arrived with high hopes about making a story of my own about hooking into one of the world renowned hog steelhead. I honestly can say I am hugely disappointed. I put in as much time as my job and family allow me. But for a place that is praised as having some of the worlds best fishing for steelhead and salmon, I think the mark was missed. With that said, as long as there is retention allowed while the numbers are dwindling, we jeopardize our chances of passing along the oppurtunity to our kids and other future anglers. And that is why the practice should be so heavily attacked. If for no other reason than the next guy that hooks one might think about it a little harder before he banks the next trophy.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#491273 - 02/27/09 01:15 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Todd]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Originally Posted By: Todd
I think it's a valid point that some folks have no idea how valuable a wild fish is to the future of our sport, or how badly treated the Hoh run is in particular...but the fact that the dude felt the need to lie about it being a bleeder shows that he knows damn well it wasn't cool, but did it anyway.

Roger that. . .reminds me of a Mark Twain quote. . ."don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly don't tell them where they know the fish".

Hey waita minute, that sounds like a good signature line,

fb

#491292 - 02/27/09 03:43 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: fishbadger]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

THANK YOU BARBLESS!! for saying what needs to be said.
there IS coming a time and it will be soon that the cylces of life interconnected in the environment around us are going to come un-hinged...then we are truely screwed. "harvesting" fish of this nature is just insane, especially some of our friends that love to take clients in and love to kill those fish(which is a whole other breed for a whole other topic), but with current technologies and the info of fish runs all over our papers and mags, it is coming to the time where the old excuse of "i didnt know" is just unnacceptable. you CANNOT be a fishermen, hunter, or any outdoor user nowadays and not be looking to the scientific facts surrounding your sport, your life, your local watershed. The whole fact that your even allowed to kill that fish is the point. fish and wildlife seems to say that they are there to "manage the PEOPLE utilizing the resource, not the actual resource itself"....after the last 20 years,hmmm, anyone want to punch a whole in that theory? What one of us wouldnt give up the right to fish the OP rivers if we could have management backed by sound science and that has their eyes on the right prize!(ohh, but what IS the right prize?)... that is really the question...what kind of sportsman do you consider yourself in an honest fashion.
This guy has no excuse...oh, he's from across the pond...SO f-ing WHAT!! their waterways have been decimated to the point of total kill, or a pay to play opportunity. he knows of their fisheries obviously, and if he learned how to catch one over here odds are that he did enough research to understand the fishery a bit. this guy just made a very dumb mistake, i hope he regrets it. i dont wish any harm to the man either but damn if i wouldnt like to talk to him for a bit... or maybe show him a couple power point presentations. slap

as for bankwalker,sabi, and all the other critics out there saying its okay, or that we are being to hard on him:
to quote C Herb Williams
"We have many hunter and fishermen, but a relative few carry the load for all the rest in the interest of conservation and wise use of the resources. They prod lethargic legislatures and shake up an uncaring public. They dont hesitate to criticize fish and game depts. if they feel the critisism if just and deserved.
Often these men and women from all walks of life will meet over a weekend during some of the best fishing and hunting of the year, giving up their own sport of the moment for the long-range goal of good resource management.
For most of this century, these organized sporstmen have been the only private citizens working for the conservation. They have been joined by others recently, but they carried the load alone for more than half a century."

Where has the reverence for these fish gone? But then again, was it ever really there?

#491324 - 02/27/09 12:06 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: On The Swing]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Wow guys. What he did was legal. Be pissed a WDFW not this guy.

Though I will agree, he is a true Salvation Army douchepop.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#491327 - 02/27/09 12:15 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Sabi Offline
Juvenille at Sea

just a bunch of jealous sour pusses

#491372 - 02/27/09 02:16 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Sabi]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Originally Posted By: Sabi

Please tell me your kidding.

Retention of any wild steelhead to get your name in the record book is morally wrong! Dont bother to argue, it will fall on deaf ears.

Anyone with any brains who fishes on any of the OP rivers and beyond, understands that things are bieng managed to extinction. Politics dictate how are fisheries are managed, and seldom does politics really fix anything.

This whole story is sad. I am sure the person who made that choice that day now regrets it.

People are using this thread to vent some of their frustrations......... Let them vent.

Rusty Bell

#491421 - 02/27/09 03:47 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: sykofish]
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
is this whole thread about a fish?

#491455 - 02/27/09 04:55 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Jason Beezuz]
JimB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis
Where has the reverence for these fish gone? But then again, was it ever really there?

Todd this is an interesting statement. I can honestly tell you that for I am old enough to remember 30 punch punch cards, free refills and no concern whether it was hatchery or wild...didn't know since nothing was clipped.

It took me a long time to buy into CnR that was for Bass fisherman and I'd say fly guys but there were so few of them I had never seen one until the 90's. Back then we didn't fish for Chum or Pinks and laughed at those who did.

The frustrating thing for me now is the statewide law of no retention of wild steelhead....its that simple...or should be.

I also understand the drive to obtain a record. For years I wanted the state Coho, fishing the Chehalis almost exclusively for many years I knew I had a shot. I kept two fish that came within ounces of that record but I never got it. I will not own it now because I keep only hatchery brats, I put two 15+ coho back last fall, they were never out of the water nor were they netted. Hopefully those genes made it to the gravel.

I guess I am in the camp that I sure wish this fish wouldn't have been kept and yet somewhat understand the mentality of keeping it. I long for the old days when it didn't matter and innocent fisherman weren't criminalized for doing nothing legally wrong.

JimB

Edited by JimB (02/27/09 07:45 PM)

#491516 - 02/27/09 06:39 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: sykofish]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Originally Posted By: sykofish

People are using this thread to vent some of their frustrations......... Let them vent.

Nicely said man.

Several times I've commented...but failed to hit the "Submit button". Been venting in my own quiet way.

You're ok in my book, skyofish.

Mf

Edited by Magicfly (02/27/09 06:42 PM)

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#491583 - 02/27/09 11:54 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: JimB]
GoneFission Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tri-Cities
Originally Posted By: JimB

Todd this is an interesting statement. I can honestly tell you that for I am old enough to remember 30 punch punch cards, free refills and no concern whether it was hatchery or wild...didn't know since nothing was clipped.

It took me a long time to buy into CnR that was for Bass fisherman and I'd say fly guys but there were so few of them I had never seen one until the 90's. Back then we didn't fish for Chum or Pinks and laughed at those who did.

The frustrating thing for me now is the statewide law of no retention of wild steelhead....its that simple...or should be.

I also understand the drive to obtain a record. For years I wanted the state Coho, fishing the Chehalis almost exclusively for many years I knew I had a shot. I kept two fish that came within ounces of that record but I never got it. I will not own it now because I keep only hatchery brats, I put two 15+ coho back last fall, they were never out of the water nor were they netted. Hopefully those genes made it to the gravel.

I guess I am in the camp that I sure wish this fish wouldn't have been kept and yet somewhat understand the mentality of keeping it. I long for the old days when it didn't matter and innocent fisherman weren't criminalized for doing nothing legally wrong.

JimB

Well stated JimB. Anybody who fishes more than a season grows as an angler. My dad, 68 years old, went through the same evolution, as did most anglers of the 70's and 80's. Today, he's content as an evolved conservationalist; yet when I go back to my childhood home and look at the photos on the walls, I see shots (from the 70's) of boots with adipose fins and the hero (my dad) holding his prize with an ear-to-ear grin--that's just the way it was. I have a shot of my one-and-only kept native from the late 80's as a teenager--probably only my 3rd or 4th steelhead ever (and after hundreds still my largest)--and I recall the elation of catching that fish. If we've caught so many we've forgotten that sensation, well then I'm sure you've done your share of damage. Indeed, times have changed, I'd like to think for the better, but sometimes I wonder.

Anyway, you said it just right JimB. Thanks for a voice of reason.

#491605 - 02/28/09 03:01 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Jason Beezuz]
metalstud72 Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma
...the fish swallowed the hook. he's a goner anyways

this fish was most likely 5 + years old, he's a goner anyways...they don't live longer than that.

...as for all of you that are dripping tears of sorrow for the gene pool, give me a f*ckin break, this fish was just lucky that it had never been caught and had the chance to grow into a monster, or just ate alot of food at sea. Look at your children who are overweight, take a look at what you feed them...all fish uncaught with the right food source would grow this large. Just think for every 30lb'er out there, there is most likely a 35lb'er somewhere in Russia or elsewhere.

the man that caugth that fish is a good man and did the right thing.

Would you rather have read an alternate article "game warden finds 32lbs steelhead carcass" or "man fly fishing battles fish of a generation"

if you are going to fish like men, then act like men....be responsible and be thankful for the blessings in your face.

G

#491606 - 02/28/09 03:20 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: metalstud72]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
A real "fisherman" would be happy with pics and more happy on the C and R

#491607 - 02/28/09 03:22 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Sabi]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake

I think your the jealous one.

#491609 - 02/28/09 03:46 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: metalstud72]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
Originally Posted By: metalstud72

this fish was most likely 5 + years old, he's a goner anyways...they don't live longer than that.

Would you rather have read an alternate article "game warden finds 32lbs steelhead carcass" or "man fly fishing battles fish of a generation"

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#491610 - 02/28/09 04:46 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: hohbomb73]
Flash_Frozen Offline
Egg

11 pages and no pic of this fish... dayum, good night.

#491613 - 02/28/09 08:08 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: metalstud72]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: metalstud72

...as for all of you that are dripping tears of sorrow for the gene pool, give me a f*ckin break, this fish was just lucky that it had never been caught and had the chance to grow into a monster, or just ate alot of food at sea. Look at your children who are overweight, take a look at what you feed them...all fish uncaught with the right food source would grow this large. Just think for every 30lb'er out there, there is most likely a 35lb'er somewhere in Russia or elsewhere.

if you are going to fish like men, then act like men....be responsible and be thankful for the blessings in your face.

G

Aren't you the guy that was crying over the dead duck photos?
chain

#491632 - 02/28/09 11:55 AM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Salmonella]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
metalstud, based your ideas, the fish may as well of have just died in the nest...and felt lucky for it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#491634 - 02/28/09 12:02 PM Re: Fly Rod 30 lbr. Last Night [Re: Todd]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
the real pisser in this sad on going never ending saga is that it was caught a fly. totally flossed!

then the final aspect that will always eat brewer's craw is the the guy is English, prolly had bad teeth too.

it all just angers me. Englishman, flossed and bonked!!!!

there is zero warm and fuzzies with this story.

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1044 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |