Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#543318 - 10/05/09 09:36 AM Nooksack River Jet Sled
Superfishial Offline
Fry

If anyone has/does run this river in a sled, I'm looking for your opinion. Is a flatbottom 100% necessary when it's low or can you get away with say a modified V or deeper?
Thanks, great forum

#543329 - 10/05/09 11:34 AM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: Superfishial]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Just depends on how well you run a boat... Semi-V or less would be my suggestion.....

Keith

#543341 - 10/05/09 12:31 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: stlhdr1]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
I fish it regularly as it's only a few minutes from home. When the water levels are normal, it can get REAL skinny in spots due to gravel bars and such. Most boats on the river are flatbottomed and for good reason.
My sled is flat bottomed and this past steelhead season I drug bottom in a few shallow spots if that tells you anything.

In the lower part of the river you can get away with a deeper hull.

#543343 - 10/05/09 12:32 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: fishhog]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

One other thing, The river changes every year, so a slot you could run one year, you can't the next. Pay attention and you'll do fine.

#543356 - 10/05/09 01:19 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: fishhog]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Fishhog, Hi, used to live up in the neck of the woods and loved that river. I now have a flat bottom sled and would like to fish that river. What launches do you use? Do you fish the upper end of the N. fork? I stopped fishing it because the steelies just did not seem to be there in years past, has it gotten any better?

Thanks for any info your willing to give.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#543436 - 10/05/09 04:54 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
team cracker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
Semi V with a tunnel would be best, runs skinnier than regular flatbottomed (because of the tunnel), corners waaay better too. Flatbottomed runs skiiny, but the more v you have the better you will corner, usually a slight v is best

#543448 - 10/05/09 05:17 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: team cracker]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Quantifying a "semi" V vs. a deep V could be helpful. Seems to me most sled style hulls come in something like 5, 10 or 12 degree V's these days? 5 degree runs shallower but doesn't track as well, 10 not as shallow but better steering, etc.

Does anyone have experience with the tunnel design on a 5 degree? Curious to know how it handles, tracks, cavitation factor etc?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#543472 - 10/05/09 06:07 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: ]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

My sled is pretty much flat bottomed and doesn't track for crap. If you like sidedrifting, you will HATE a flat bottom. I will NEVER own another.

#543478 - 10/05/09 06:27 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: fishhog]
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
Hey ColeyG, hows life in fish country?

My Alumaweld is a 6 degree bottom and since you've been in it at least you have some idea of how a 6 handles, pretty close to a 5 degree. I've never had any problem with it slidding, seems to stick pretty well in the corners. On another note about the Nooksack. It really won't matter much about fishing the Nooksack as the writting is on the wall that it will close on February 15th in 2011. That means very little native fishing before it closes. I never start catching many fish till the last two weeks in February. Kiss another fishery good bye. Good thing you moved to Alaska.

#543503 - 10/05/09 07:20 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: fishbreath]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: fishbreath
It really won't matter much about fishing the Nooksack as the writting is on the wall that it will close on February 15th in 2011. Kiss another fishery good bye.

mad

#543532 - 10/05/09 09:30 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Hey Rob. Good to hear from you man. I am actually back in WA right now for a short stint. Life up north is good. A great summer with lots of time outside, slow king season, another great silver season, etc. Some outstanding personal trips to boot.

Sorry to hear about the 'sack. That last week of Feb is about the best thing that Bellingham had going for it with regard to fishing. Is that for good, or just for this season?

The boats I run in the summer are 12 degree hulls. Bigger water with a little more need to punch through chop and less concern about the shallows, at least during salmon season. I am picking up a Willies with a 5 degree tunnel hull in the next few days. Test driving one wasn't really an option, but I figured it would work out OK. I was curious if anyone had experience a similar design. I remember your boat handling very well. Coulda used a few more fish in it though smile

Let me know when you are ready to head up north for a week and I'll keep a seat open for ya.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#543537 - 10/05/09 09:57 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: ColeyG]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Quantifying a "semi" V vs. a deep V could be helpful. Seems to me most sled style hulls come in something like 5, 10 or 12 degree V's these days? 5 degree runs shallower but doesn't track as well, 10 not as shallow but better steering, etc.

Does anyone have experience with the tunnel design on a 5 degree? Curious to know how it handles, tracks, cavitation factor etc?

My Koffler is a 4 degree with a tunnel hull in the back. Never cavitates, runs shallower than you'd think possible and tracks like a champ both on plain and free drifting.....

Keith

#543542 - 10/05/09 10:19 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: ColeyG]
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

ColeyG,

I'm ready now so save that seat! Pinks seem to be the only fish I can catch lately.

Concerning the season change. I've been a pain to Fish and Wildlife staff trying to get them to give me the information that ACTUALLY shows it should be closed early. Numerous calls and still no actual information. Mill Creek public meeting tomorrow night for input, just wish they could have given me some information so I could give my two cents! They, (Fish and Wildlife), have proposed closing eight Puget Sound rivers early for protecting wild steelhead. My beef is there just isn't much info on the Nooksack, the other rivers for the most part are listed as "Depressed runs", the Nooksack on the other hand is listed as "Unknown". I contacted the tribe and talked with their bio, nice guy. He said that yes the run had dropped in number on the tribs they counted. Although, because of the visibility they could not do accurate counts on the main river and forks. I continue to do pretty well those last few weeks so I question the reason for the closing. As you said, those are the best thing Bellingham has going for it. So bottom line, they are going to take it away and until enough information can be obtained it will be closed. I would guess for MANY years to come. frown

Wria Won, sorry about hijacking your topic. Email me directly and I'll give you the scoop the best I can on sections to run and which ones are tough.

Fishbreath

#543543 - 10/05/09 10:20 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: stlhdr1]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Oooo. Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Keith.

What's pushing it? Your koffler that is...

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#543552 - 10/05/09 11:04 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: ]
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Salmosalar,

Brett is the guy that wouldn't call me back. I've called and left three messages for him weeks ago. I was later told by the tribe bio that Brett is incredibly busy so I guess I can understand. The tribe bio is really a nice guy but his main focus is on the Spring Chinook Run but obviously he is interested in the Steelhead.

Enjoy this spring season as those two weeks are going to be taken away most likely. I still question the closing as the major run doesn't come in till March and even April. Makes you wonder what the fishing is like when it's closed if we do fairly well those last two weeks in February.

Love to know about your $300 dollar option??

Fishbreath

#543556 - 10/05/09 11:15 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: ]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Nook needs to stay open anonther month C&R

#543558 - 10/05/09 11:24 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: ]
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

I called Brett Barkdull directly and finally talked to his boss, she confirmed, he is very busy. She told me she would get the information if I sent in the request, which I did that evening, still nothing.

The other rivers are, Pilchuck, Pilchuck Creek, Raging, Skykomish, Snohomish, Snoqualmie and Stillaguamish. On the other hand it sounds like they want the Skagit to stay open for the near future. Too bad I can't be consistent on the Skagit like the Nooksack those last two weeks.

To view the new potential regs, here is the link.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/rule_proposals/index.htm

Fishbreath

#543561 - 10/05/09 11:32 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: ColeyG]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Oooo. Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Keith.

What's pushing it? Your koffler that is...

200hp Merc....... 20'x6', it's a spacious bugger.....

Keith

#543564 - 10/05/09 11:40 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: stlhdr1]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Aha. We have a 200 on the 22' NR scout and it goes pretty good. Yammie though.

I went with a Suz 140 for the Predator. 20'x72"x30". It was substantially lighter than the more HP models. Bigger pump on those units comparably as well. Hope it is enough.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#543565 - 10/05/09 11:42 PM Re: Nooksack River Jet Sled [Re: stlhdr1]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Bummed and disgusted.

Dump money into a fvcking worthless hatchery program that sucks the balls of a ball sucker and then widen the poaching season. I'd like to show them how many fish are "not there".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1089 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |