THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#582376 - 02/18/10 06:43 PM Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal!
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

It's official.....

Below I-5 March 1-April 18; seven days a week except closed Tuesdays in March.

I-5 to 205 is March 1-14 (except March 9) seven days. March 18-April 3, Thursday-Saturday.

Bank angling same days, but all the way to Bonneville.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#582382 - 02/18/10 07:07 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

So much for the chance to bounce below the big wall.

Unless of course the run-size update shows the entire run-size forecast actually shows up.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#582387 - 02/18/10 07:30 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: eyeFISH]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

One of the models showed 800K returning.

#582390 - 02/18/10 07:37 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: Illahee]
Canyon Man Offline
The Golden Child

Loc: Bothell, WA U.S.A.
Plunking at Bonneville should be insane....especially with the low runoff. I assume 1 per day as usual right doc?

CM
Your Insurance Professional

#582392 - 02/18/10 07:42 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: Canyon Man]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Loc: gales creek, or
Guess I will have to throw away all the eggs and learn to troll herring.
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#582393 - 02/18/10 07:43 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: Canyon Man]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: Canyon Man
Plunking at Bonneville should be insane....especially with the low runoff. I assume 1 per day as usual right doc?

CM

What will we do with the rest of our day?

#582398 - 02/18/10 07:58 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: ]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
And the tiny purple fishes go passing through your fingers...

#582401 - 02/18/10 08:08 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: kevin lund]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Originally Posted By: kevin lund
Guess I will have to throw away all the eggs and learn to troll herring.

Kevin your eggs probably have sodium sulfite on them and shouldn't be used in Oregon waters, so we'll take them off your hands and dispose of them properly.
In Washington waters...

#582403 - 02/18/10 08:25 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: slabhunter]
wak & stak Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: wa,shelton
i smell springer in the air..... ya hooo. slabhunter you know

#582405 - 02/18/10 08:38 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: wak & stak]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The official news release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE February 18, 2010

States set spring chinook, sturgeon seasons

OREGON CITY, Ore. – Fishery managers from Oregon and Washington set spring chinook salmon and sturgeon fishing seasons for the Columbia and Willamette rivers today during a joint state hearing.

Several fisheries, including those in the Willamette River and in the Columbia River between Bonneville Dam and the river mouth, are currently open under permanent rules and will remain open through February. The seasons adopted today will take effect March 1.

In an effort to boost sturgeon populations, fishery managers also extended an existing sturgeon sanctuary on the Columbia Bonneville Dam, created a new sturgeon sanctuary on the Willamette River and announced their intention to close a bank fishing site below Willamette Falls known as “The Wall,” effective April 1. Sturgeon fishing will be prohibited in the two sanctuaries from May 1 through Aug. 31.

In a separate announcement following the joint state hearing, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife announced that it will leave in place the current regulations that allow retention of spring chinook in the Willamette River open seven days a week, with a daily bag limit of two adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon or steelhead in any combination. ODFW is forecasting a return of 62,700 chinook salmon in the Willamette, which is one of the strongest returns in several years.

The Columbia spring chinook seasons are based on a forecast of 470,000 returning upriver spring chinook. As a conservative measure, the two states adopted a 40 percent buffer, leaving a combined harvest guideline of 17,200 fish in the sport fishery downstream of Bonneville Dam.

"Thanks to the large run forecast this year we are able to craft a spring chinook season that includes plenty of fishing opportunity throughout the river," said Steve Williams deputy administrator of ODFW's fish division. “If the forecast comes in as expected we may be able to provide even more opportunity.”

The sturgeon seasons are based on a recreational harvest guideline of 19,200 fish, including 3,600 in the Willamette.

About 50 people including sport and commercial fishermen showed up to listen and present testimony at the hearing, conducted at the Oregon Historical Society Bldg. in Oregon City.

The following is a summary of recreational fishing seasons adopted at today’s meeting. Additional information may be obtained on the ODFW Web site at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...s/columbia.asp.

CHINOOK SALMON

Columbia River from Buoy 10 to I-5 Bridge
Anglers will be permitted to fish seven days a week from March 1 through April 18 or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The season will be closed on Tuesdays, March 9, 16, 23 and 30. The purpose of the Tuesday closures is to provide possible commercial fishing days. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook. The rules also allow retention of up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Columbia River from I-5 Bridge upstream to I-205 Bridge
This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon seven days a week from March 1-14 and three days a week Thursday through Saturday from March 18 – April 3, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The season is closed Tuesday, March 9. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook, and up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Columbia River from I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam
This area will be closed to boat angling for salmon and steelhead through June 15 or until further notice. However, bank angling for salmon will be permitted from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam seven days a week from March 1 – 14 and Thursday through Saturday March 18 – April 3. The season will be closed Tuesday, March 9.

Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to the Oregon/Washington border
This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped steelhead through March 15 under permanent rules. Effective March 16, this area will be open to retention of adipose fin-clipped steelhead and adipose fin-clipped chinook through May 31, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, and up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.
Angling for salmon and steelhead from a boat between Bonneville Dam and the Tower Island power lines, approximately six miles down stream from The Dalles Dam, is prohibited. Bank angling is allowed in this area.

Willamette River
Open to retention of adipose fin-clipped adult chinook salmon and adipose fin-clipped steelhead seven days a week the entire year. Bag limit is two salmon or steelhead in any combination below Willamette Falls. Above the falls, one additional adipose fin-clipped steelhead may be retained.

STURGEON

Columbia River from Buoy 10 to Wauna power lines (River Mile 40)
Retention of white sturgeon is allowed seven days a week Jan. 1 – April 30, with a daily bag limit of one fish with a fork length of between 38 and 54 inches. This area is closed to retention of white sturgeon May 1-May 21. The season reopens seven days a week from May 22 through June 26, or until the harvest guideline is achieved, with a daily bag limit of one fish with a fork length of 41 to 54 inches.

Columbia River from Wauna power lines upstream to Bonneville Dam (including all adjacent Washington tributaries)
Retention of white sturgeon is allowed three days a week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday Jan. 1 – July 31 and Oct. 1 – Dec. 31, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. Daily bag limit is one white sturgeon with a fork length of 38 to 54 inches. Angling for sturgeon is prohibited from the upstream end of Skamania Island at River Marker #82 upstream to Bonneville Dam May 1 – Aug. 31.

Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to The Dalles Dam
This area is expected to reach the harvest guideline of 1,400 fish on Feb. 20, 2010 and will close to retention of white sturgeon effective 12:01 a.m. Feb. 21. Catch-and-release sturgeon angling will remain open.

Columbia River from The Dalles Dam to John Day Dam
This area is open to retention of white sturgeon seven days a week under permanent rules from Jan. 1 until the annual harvest guideline of 300 fish is met. The legal size limit for retention in this area is 43-54 inches fork length.

Columbia River from John Day Dam to McNary Dam
This area is expected to reach the harvest guideline of 165 fish Feb. 28, 2010 and will close to retention of white sturgeon effective 12:01 a.m. March 1. Catch-and-release sturgeon angling will remain open.

Willamette River downstream of Willamette Falls including the Multnomah Channel
Retention of white sturgeon is allowed three days a week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday Jan. 1 – March 31 and Nov. 1 – Dec. 31. Daily bag limit is one white sturgeon with a fork length of 38 to 54 inches. On the Willamette, angling for sturgeon is prohibited from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Willamette Falls May 1 – Aug. 31.

In other business the agencies took the following actions:

Adopted the 2009 Winter/Spring Preseason Commercial Fishing Plan
Set commercial fishing seasons for Select Area fisheries, including Blind Slough/Knappa Slough, Tongue Point/South Channel, Deep River and Young's Bay.
During chinook salmon season, limited retention of fin-clipped steelhead and shad to only those days where salmon season is open.
Limited the chinook salmon daily bag limit to one fin-clipped fish a day in Select Area fisheries on those days when the Columbia River below the I-5 Bridge is open to retention of chinook.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#582415 - 02/18/10 09:23 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: wak & stak]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: wak & stak
i smell springer in the air..... ya hooo. slabhunter you know

I still have something like nine weeks of vacation. Lost my glasses overboard at the Marina. It sucks to get old.

#582423 - 02/18/10 10:09 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: slabhunter]
fire escape Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Columbia River from I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam
This area will be closed to boat angling for salmon and steelhead through June 15 or until further notice. However, bank angling for salmon will be permitted from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam seven days a week from March 1 – 14 and Thursday through Saturday March 18 – April 3. The season will be closed Tuesday, March 9.

WTF April 3rd Look at the old counts things don't even get going til around the second week. Un believable!! Maybe they want to buy my damn boat!! "Fishing From the Bank " It is the damn Coumbia river one of the largest in the world. Come ON!!

#582442 - 02/18/10 11:17 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: eyeFISH]
Iwant2fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Whatcom County
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
The official news release:
Columbia River from Buoy 10 to I-5 Bridge
The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook. The rules also allow retention of up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

In other business the agencies took the following actions:

Limited the chinook salmon daily bag limit to one fin-clipped fish a day in Select Area fisheries on those days when the Columbia River below the I-5 Bridge is open to retention of chinook.

So which is it?? 1 Fish only or 1 Adult plus 5 Jacks??

Are the rules the same for Washington and Oregon for the C.R.???

Edited by Iwant2fish (02/18/10 11:54 PM)

#582448 - 02/18/10 11:36 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: Iwant2fish]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Only one adult salmon per day. Deep River is two only on days the mainstem is closed?

#582460 - 02/19/10 12:13 AM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: salmosalar
What size boat is required for this game?

Go Red Sox,
cds

Ive seen smaller boats, but I'd think 16' on up would be as small as I'd want to go.

I brought my old Gregor 16' with a 40hp down for a few years and it fished fine.

#582479 - 02/19/10 01:42 AM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: Sky-Guy]
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
I want a seat Francis ! Make sure Fish4brains is there too.

Steve

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#582518 - 02/19/10 10:26 AM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: kevin lund]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Kevin,

Why don't you drive over to my place and throw your eggs in my garbage can? I have plenty of room thumbs

#582532 - 02/19/10 11:09 AM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: ]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
Originally Posted By: salmosalar
What size boat is required for this game?

Go Red Sox,
cds
i'd be ok out there in my 14' smoker craft alaskan on a nice day...wouldn't be much fun in the wind, though.

driving down I5, you'd think everyone has a $60k boat who's fishing down there.

#582543 - 02/19/10 11:45 AM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: Chum Man]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I-205 to Bonny=BUNK CHIT.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#582555 - 02/19/10 12:13 PM Re: Season on Columbia River Spring Kings - done deal! [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
I-205 to Bonny=BUNK CHIT.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

you are telling me! 90% of my spring spinner/blade business as based on the bonny anchor fishery..... violin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |