Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#614996 - 08/07/10 12:00 PM Looking for marriage counselors
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
For our 35th wedding anniversary my wife announced that she is unhappy and was planning on leaving me. At this point we are considering counseling . (After 35 yrs, we probably know more about what marriage is about than most counselors)

However, every time she comes up with a recommendation it comes from a single or divorced woman.

So are there any of you old salty dogs that have been through this and have had a successful experience?

And don't give that Oprah crap, thanks.

#615045 - 08/07/10 10:10 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: chasbo]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Ah shi--. Well your second lines sets off the alarms. So unless you are a drunk, on drugs, abusive ( either verbally or physically ) she is in the " life has passed me by stage " Your choice is either community property and 35 years say you try everything OR you cut your losses and move on. Only you can know the answer BUT from what I went through.............. any doubts at all cut your losses.

As harsh as it sounds it is the way to move forward at times.

Edit here: Just had to do the latter myself recently.

Edited by Rivrguy (08/07/10 10:11 PM)

#615068 - 08/08/10 12:48 AM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Sorry to hear that.

Did you see this coming at all?

I'd give you my opinion, but it wouldn't mean squat. So instead, I'll just wish you luck coming to a happy outcome for both of you.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#615076 - 08/08/10 01:42 AM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
Barbarosa
Unregistered

35 years? Shoot that squawkin old woman!!!

#615086 - 08/08/10 10:47 AM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

OK It's not a "life has passed her by" deal. It's an "I have spent my life raising the children and taking care of you, and now I need to take care of myself", deal.

I always figured that was what Thursday's on PP was for.

And we must not forget that I am an ASS HOLE.

#615095 - 08/08/10 11:48 AM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: chasbo]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
chasbo, 1st we have to agree that all us men are a-holes. We get that way by busting our a@@ trying to make a living day in and day out. We do our best which in most cases at times is never enough. To have the nice things requires work and at times long hours. Then it becomes "you never take me anywhere" or something like that.
The worst thing for a marriage is for her to hang out or have any contact with some bitter,divorced bitch who has by mostly her own doing become a man hater.
Tell her there is a real good reason her "friend" is divorced. Some poor schmuck finally got tired of putting up with her whining.
If we took a head count of the guys who ended up better off than the woman after this settles out, it would be overwellmingly in the guys favor.
Good luck and I hope all works out for you.

#615102 - 08/08/10 12:40 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: chasbo]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Originally Posted By: chasbo
"I have spent my life raising the children and taking care of you, and now I need to take care of myself"...
Sounds like she feels the family-workload hasn't been divided equitably. Offer to reverse roles and "take care of her" for the rest of her life.

#615107 - 08/08/10 01:26 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

"if they build up resentment, it's not going to end well."

She is remembering the bad times in great detail and reaching back 36yrs. I had no idea this resentment ran SO deep. She didn't work during the early years of raising the children. And since has worked part time as well as her glass etching, (which she loves)

And Aunty, I wonder where you got that my attitude of seems "cold and distant" from two posts?

#615130 - 08/08/10 03:32 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

"Chasbo, you seem less than willing to share your feelings here as far as what YOU want and need. "

I was just asking if anybody could recommend a good marriage counselor. And as it turns out here on PP, it has been a very informing discussion.

Thanks Bob for a site where we can cure eggs, smoke fish, cut bait, sell guns, and counsel families.

And Aunty need a job and motivation.

#615142 - 08/08/10 04:54 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Not about you Marsha, You asked me what I want and need.

#615169 - 08/08/10 07:59 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: chasbo]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Sorry about that, Chasbo.

All my wife and I try to do is have a date night every other week, and make sure we talk to each other every day for at least 20 minutes without the kids around us. Surely we are not perfect, but this has worked for us.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#615180 - 08/08/10 09:41 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: Dogfish]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
Do yourself a favor,get rid of that broad and go get some fishing time in.

See that's what happens when you seek marriage counciling advice on the dark side of a fishing website. Go see a professional. Sounds to me like your wife is an ungrateful uncommunicative bitch. but then again I just use women for sex so what good am I ,hence the first sentence of this paragraph.

I mean seriously,PP for marriage counciling? rofl

Aunty M if I had to look over at that lop sided mattress at you every morning I would shoot myself hahahaha

#615181 - 08/08/10 09:42 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
Satan Offline
I love me

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
I'm a good listener in real life.

But this here is the internets

#615280 - 08/09/10 01:44 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Sorry to hear about your luck.

I wish I had some great advice for you, but I don't. It sounds like you are going to have to do some hard emotional work to get through this. I would say you should dig in and start doing that hard work ASAP. The resolution will shake out eventually, and it will be the right one.

#615456 - 08/10/10 02:29 AM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
Satan Offline
I love me

If Chasbo wanted to get rid of her and thinks of her in the manner that Avid posted, he most likely wouldn't have started the thread. After 35 years, he may actually care about his wife. The fact that she stayed this long means he has some redeeming qualities too.

Either that or he's pu$$y whipped....

This is no brainer. Give up Chasbo and have to endure encounters with men like Avid? That'd be stupid IMO. Like I stated earlier... the grass is not greener... It's dead and spray painted green and Avid proves it.

You kill me. There's oly one thing that's dead and green and your husband hasn't touched that in years. If Chasbo really wanted to save his marriage he would go somewhere othetr than an internet fishing site to seek enlightenment. But he posted it here and it's fair game. Just like when i posted that thread about my folks and their home troubles. I knew what I was opening my self up to. Trouble is with you Aunty M,you are like a big fat brook trout who just has to eat the bait.

Edited by avid angler (08/10/10 02:29 AM)

#615470 - 08/10/10 09:15 AM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

wow! bring back The King and free Bigstick

#615533 - 08/10/10 02:30 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: chasbo]
DBAppraiser Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: MA13
As one who has utilized a marriage counselor in the past, a good one can help quite a bit. My wife and I have on a couple occasions met with a counselor to work through some issues and these meetings were largely successful. However, the key to counseling working is that BOTH parties have to be willing to really try and save the relationship. This includes both parties taking a really, really hard look at themselves and being willing to constantly work to improve or modify their behaviors as well as how they respond to their partner. BUT, counseling is no silver bullet. Don't expect a counselor to give you the secrets to marriage because they don't have it. 35 years is a lot of time and memories to just cast away and it is worth saving but both parties have to be willing to save it. The benefit to counseling is that a good counselor can get both of you to communicate with each other without the discussion ending up in another argument that just creates further bad feelings and resentment.

The counselor we have visited with is located in Lakewood, WA. I don't know your location so this may not be close enough to you. His name is Phil Butterfield and the number is (253) 651-7785. Good luck to you and your wife.

#615622 - 08/10/10 08:39 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: ]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
My wife and I have been married for 38 years and have had our times of struggle. My Dad gave me the best advice concerning relationships "Ask yourself- Are you better with her or with out her?".
May not applicable in your situation but it does get it down to a simple answer. Good luck.

#615630 - 08/10/10 09:40 PM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: Chuck E]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Sorry to hear. Went through one after 17yrs together. Wasn't my idea, but IMO once the other party has their mind "made-up", the horse is out of the barn. Lots of good advice already posted, and I hope it works out for you.

#615676 - 08/11/10 05:47 AM Re: Looking for marriage counselors [Re: snit]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
For what its worth My x leaving trashed me hard. A couple years later I realized the being left part was the cause of the pain and not the loss of the x. She is remaried and we actually get along well now. No body wants to realize someone could be better off without them. Don't wait to add up the opertunity this may afford you. Keep a level head , be positive and rational. She will look up to that. if it is over divorce is simple if the two people just sit down and divide things up. My divorce itself cost me under $500.00 I get my kids 50/50 and I gladly give her money to take the kids shopping so I don't have to. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |