Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#664651 - 02/21/11 12:29 AM Fish Skulls
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Has anyone been tying with these yet?

http://flymenfishingcompany.org/products/fish-skull/

I picked up a pack at a local store last week and worked them into a spring favorite, the venerable Dolly Lama.

I must say, they cut my tying time about in half over using a cone head, and I don't mind the way they look either. Curious if anyone has tried them in other applications.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#664664 - 02/21/11 12:54 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

scary

#664672 - 02/21/11 02:26 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: cobble cruiser]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Are you lost?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#664687 - 02/21/11 11:32 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

You will be proud of me coley. I'm making a plan to get down to Carnation to the "River Run" fly shop to take switch lessons. Look out next fall. No, I mean seriously....look out! eek

#664714 - 02/21/11 12:47 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: cobble cruiser]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I haven't tried them, mainly because they are expensive compared to cone heads. I use them just for the added weight and action on steelhead attractor flies. I think the eyes on them are a good addition to bait fish patterns. Salt water anglers swear that flies with eyes draw more strikes than those without. Your rabbit Clouser with fish skull eyes should be pretty durable for toothy critters.

Sg

#664723 - 02/21/11 01:37 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

+1 on the cost. Definitely a significant increase over coneheads of the same size/weight.

I haven't played around with them enough to know, but it seems like the design of the head will really limit options for collars and finishing the fly. The slots in the metal seem like they will make it difficult to add a few turns of something like marabou or schlappen, and/or dubbing. Even if it works, the look will still be fairly linear.

Danny, taking fly fishing lessons? They must be playing hockey in hell.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#664842 - 02/21/11 11:10 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: cobble cruiser]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
You will be proud of me coley. I'm making a plan to get down to Carnation to the "River Run" fly shop to take switch lessons. Look out next fall. No, I mean seriously....look out! eek

Holly cow! Am I reading this right?

#664862 - 02/22/11 12:09 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: SRoffe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Yeah, I can see it already, Danny trying to huck a 12 ball slinky and pink worm with a 9wt.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#664872 - 02/22/11 12:38 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

If he hadn't sold his 9wt to me he could try.

#664879 - 02/22/11 01:05 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: SRoffe]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Crap! Good point. But I'm goin for the looooong rod buddy. Todd's the 12 ball slinky guy. I only use 5 to 7 balls most of the time. Wait....Let me start over. My slinkies just generally run lighter and most of the time I like using lead if I can get away with it. smile

You'll see. I am determined to try it for awhile. Gotta find out if I likey ya know! grin

#664892 - 02/22/11 01:35 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: cobble cruiser]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

I tried this spey casting a couple times. I just need to grab a rod and go to a bar all by my self, (gravel bar, not tavern) and practice, practice practice. Then afterward go to the bar (tavern, not gravel bar) and enjoy a nice pint of bitter.

Oh, so that I don't hijack this thread Coley, No. I have never tried nor used any flies tied with the fish skull heads. They look nice though. I bet Danny and I would have them hanging off our ears lobes in no time. Not sure who would hook who.

#664895 - 02/22/11 01:45 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: SRoffe]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Sam Roffe
I tried this spey casting a couple times. I just need to grab a rod and go to a bar all by my self, (gravel bar, not tavern) and practice, practice practice. Then afterward go to the bar (tavern, not gravel bar) and enjoy a nice pint of bitter.

Oh, so that I don't hijack this thread Coley, No. I have never tried nor used any flies tied with the fish skull heads. They look nice though. I bet Danny and I would have them hanging off our ears lobes in no time. Not sure who would hook who.

Whoa. Easy there fella. For the record, nothing hangs off the ear lobes. thumbs

#664896 - 02/22/11 01:48 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: cobble cruiser]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser

Whoa. Easy there fella. For the record, nothing hangs off the ear lobes. thumbs

Barbless hooks then.

#664903 - 02/22/11 02:40 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: SRoffe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I tried this spey casting a couple times. I just need to grab a rod and go to a bar all by my self, (gravel bar, not tavern) and practice, practice practice.

That is the great thing about flyfishing for steelhead. Pick a crappy piece of water to "practice on" and you will stand about the same chance of hooking a fish as the guys taking it seriously smile

Once you have it down, keep an eye out for the classic swing water, otherwise known as the long, featureless, knee to waist deep "runs" that one would usually float by without fishing.

No worries about the thread deviation, once Danny showed up, I knew things were going to get messy.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#664942 - 02/22/11 11:28 AM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Dirty gear chuckers. beer

Oh yeah, back to fish skulls. grin

Edited by cobble cruiser (02/22/11 11:28 AM)

#664972 - 02/22/11 12:40 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: cobble cruiser]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Yes, long featureless gravel bars are perfect for fly fishing. Heck, they're perfect for everybody (else) to fish. And it's imperative to fish pretty $14 flies from April Volkey's web site, cuz steelhead never eat ugly flies. I add that because I read posts from a couple experienced steelheaders who are asserting that steelhead like different colors on different rivers. I've only fished for steelhead on 30 or 40 or maybe 50 rivers, so I'm probably not qualified to call [censored] on that.

Meanwhile, good for Danny for seeking enlightenment. Spey casting, like fly casting, is something fun to do between bites, which according to Coley is a long, long time. And he's right.

Meanwhile, I wish I had a few of those fish skull clousers to take to Mexico next week. I put those plastic stick-on eyes on dumbell weighted clousers, but they sometimes fall off.

Sg

#665011 - 02/22/11 01:58 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: Salmo g.]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Those look killer, Coley. I've never even heard of the "Fish Skulls" but I'd always rather fish baitfish patterns with eyes than without.

#665060 - 02/22/11 04:07 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Salmo, ifn you think the rabbit versions would suit your needs, I would be happy to send you a handful for product testing purposes smile Be warned, they are big, and heavy!

Lemme know.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#665088 - 02/22/11 06:20 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Only if they arrive by Saturday's mail. Flight leaves at 7:00 Sunday. Thanks Coley, but I have a few smaller clousers with the regular dumbell eyes. I just got a 10 wt with a Tarpon line; would that throw the fish skulls?

Sg

#665129 - 02/22/11 08:08 PM Re: Fish Skulls [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

PM me your address. If they go out tomorrow, should be there by Fri no problem. I need photos of a few tropical Dolly Lama eaters for a project I am working on.

I want to see how many species of fish will eat that fly, and then put together a photo essay detailing it, just for fun. I think I am up to 11 or 12 species so far, 14 if you count birds smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |