#690459 - 06/23/11 12:20 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: stonefish]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

#690567 - 06/24/11 01:10 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: fishrlady]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: fishrlady
I don't mind buying a Discovery Card although I'd appreciate it applied to the person, not the vehicle. 1Ton for a couple boats, as I spend more on fuel, ect. I go down to an old Suzuki Samurai and lake boat. As I need to save more, down to an enduro with rocket launcher attached. Can't save no matter how I try. Three permits to buy.

Cant wait till the glass gets replaced or the car gets jacked.

Sorry, no transfers....

Its headed for changes.

#690780 - 06/25/11 09:50 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: winterchrome]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: winterchrome
Does CCA employ a lobbyist during the legislative session? I was just looking at their web accomplishment page and looked at the bills they referenced as well as other bills where sport groups were active but did not see anyone signed in representing CCA.

looks like the cca was involved.

http://www.votervoice.net/Common/commonp...rId=10217#65411

#690781 - 06/25/11 10:00 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: boater]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: boater

Could be they helped not make a discovery pass compulsory for the redemption of social security benefits...in which case you owe them $35. wink

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#690783 - 06/25/11 10:09 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: RowVsWade]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Persons Testifying (Ways & Means): PRO: Jim King, Citizens for Parks and Recreation;
Doug Levy, Recreational Boaters Assn. of WA, WA Recreation and Parks Assn.; Jonathan
Guzzo, WA Trails Assn.; Scott Sigman, Coastal Conservation Assn.; Carl Burke, Puget
Sound Anglers, Northwest Sport Fishery Industry Assn.; Mark Quinn, WA Wildlife
Federation; Peter Reid, WA State Parks Foundation.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bill%20Reports/Senate/5622%20SBR%20WM%2011.pdf

#690785 - 06/25/11 10:31 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: boater]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
PSA too?....fer the love of God....

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#690796 - 06/26/11 12:09 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dogfish]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Would have been nice if the CCA would have helped to reduce the cost to fishing license holders by playing ball, but they refused to, so we get to pay twice. How much is an annual CCA membership? $30?

As fast as this legislation went through it seems like the "users" were an easy target. Lots of user groups are affected.

I am not expert at CCA but as an involved member I know that CCA was actively involved in mitigating costs by advocating against charging hunting and fishing license holders another fee above the one already paid to "use" public WDFW lands. I honestly don't see how CCA could be expected to drive the process more than that given the legislative climate.

In this era of decreasing state revenues the pressure to add "fees," which seem to gore everyone elses' ox, is more palatable than "taxes." I'm not sayin' I like it, just that I understand it.

And the question of input from other groups is valid. I don't think NRA, PSA, WSC, or NSIA are happy to see access limited by the increased fees.

I wonder about enforcement like another poster. Where are the funds for enforcement going to come from? And are the "poor and elderly" really going to come up with the money to buy the pass, as the Times article talked about. I don't think so. Another unenforceable mandate.

FWIW, I actually bought a pass on line today, not because I think it is fair, or good, but because I am basically like 98% of us and try to follow the laws, and don't want the hassle of a ticket for using "my" lands. And I am fortunate enough to afford the frakkin' thing.

#690806 - 06/26/11 10:22 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
So the CCA had an opportunity to sponsor the house bill, which would have saved us $15, but instead, they sponsored the senate bill, so we got shafted? NICE! I thought it wasn't in their charter to support something like that. Shocker. In black and white, even. Who'd a thunkit?

Marsha, the article you got your HSUS info from, the reporter was incorrect, as the bill he was referring to was actually, of all things, a bill regulating laying hens. Not your fault that he gave incorrect information.

RMEF doesn't have an active lobbiest in Washington State, neither does DU. NRA has one guy who covers three states. PSA, CCA, and Hunters Heritage do have active lobbiests. Any group that was approached and chose not to act on the house bill loses my support. Shouldn't the $380 I spend each year in licenses allow me some benefit when it comes the Discovery Pass? Apparently the PSA and CCA don't think so.

So, it appears that the title of this thread is entirely appropriate.

Still waiting on that apology.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#690815 - 06/26/11 11:35 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Back pedal any faster and you'll start getting younger.

#690825 - 06/26/11 12:54 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Disabled veterans and other State Parks pass holders: Washington State Parks offers pass programs that reduce or waive camping, moorage and watercraft launch fees for limited-income senior citizens, disabled veterans, foster parents and people with disabilities who qualify for and receive a pass. These pass holders are not required to display the Discover Pass while visiting state parks but are required to display the Discover Pass while on WDFW or DNR lands. While on state park land, display your State Parks free or reduced pass on your dashboard in lieu of the Discover Pass.

http://5starcampgrounds.com/discover-pass/

#690827 - 06/26/11 01:16 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dogfish]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

RMEF doesn't have an active lobbiest in Washington State, neither does DU.
NRA has one guy who covers three states.
PSA, CCA, and Hunters Heritage do have active lobbiests.
Any group that was approached and chose not to act on the house bill loses my support.

Shouldn't the $380 I spend each year in licenses allow me some benefit when it comes the Discovery Pass?
Apparently the PSA and CCA don't think so.

Good grief. 380 dollars in fishing licenses? What part of COASTAL includes hunting?
So where was Ed Owens of Hunters Heritage? (The guy who also reps for commercial fishermen and that tried to kill the commission in 09, using the hunters board members to support the letter to kill the commission.)

Let it be known that neither of your representatives can pass your chosen legislation without the support of CCA and PSA.
An absurd statement to prove the point.

Yes 380 dollars should be more than enough to access any recreational land. Its my fault I only buy a freshwater license. To pay the bills they have to charge someone more. I doubt a reduction for hunters and anglers would have passed the floor. At 71million dollars quoted in the legislation, it would take more than 2,300,000 discovery pass sales to achieve that budget requirement. The idea that my fishing license is enough to cover the costs of WDFW and the use of DNR and parks land is absurd. They stole our funding for boat launch. If they cant get enough money, we be fighting the same battle next year.

#690828 - 06/26/11 01:21 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: boater]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: boater

Disabled veterans and other State Parks pass holders: Washington State Parks offers pass programs that reduce or waive camping, moorage and watercraft launch fees for limited-income senior citizens, disabled veterans, foster parents and people with disabilities who qualify for and receive a pass. These pass holders are not required to display the Discover Pass while visiting state parks but are required to display the Discover Pass while on WDFW or DNR lands. While on state park land, display your State Parks free or reduced pass on your dashboard in lieu of the Discover Pass.

http://5starcampgrounds.com/discover-pass/

Thanks,

As a disabled vet I wondered about that. Soooo, as I read it, I'm okay at any state park or WDFW site - because I will have hunting and fishing licenses - but not DNR lands. For me no need to by the pass - I think?

#690835 - 06/26/11 01:43 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Hank,

Read it again, slwoooooly.

#690836 - 06/26/11 01:48 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Dave Vedder]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

Thanks,

As a disabled vet I wondered about that. Soooo, as I read it, I'm okay at any state park or WDFW site - because I will have hunting and fishing licenses - but not DNR lands. For me no need to by the pass - I think?

thats the way i understand it but you have to get the pass from the parks department and display it instead of the discovery pass

http://www.parks.wa.gov/passes/

#690987 - 06/27/11 11:49 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: winterchrome]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

So does any CCA member actually support the CCA's stance on this, especially now that they lobbied for the higher fee amount?

#690992 - 06/27/11 11:59 AM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Dave, you do a lot of PS clamming and oyster picking... are any of your spots on DNR land?

Nope. State parks and private.

Edited by Dave Vedder (06/27/11 12:00 PM)

#691006 - 06/27/11 01:17 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
So, if the cost of the Discover Pass, and the principle bothers you that much, why didn't YOU testify personally, instead of expecting a group that you apparently don't support doing it for you?

IBS= Internet Biatch slapped!

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#691011 - 06/27/11 01:48 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

I can see that and I believe everyone here can also, just trying to bring a little levity to some people that seem to have worked on things together in the past.

You do make a compelling point.

Sorry did not mean any harm.

Fishy

Edited by Somethingsmellsf (06/27/11 01:50 PM)

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#691050 - 06/27/11 04:25 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Yes the interwebz does lend itself to linearity.

Fishy

#691072 - 06/27/11 05:10 PM Re: More Discovery Pass Idiocy [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
This whole deal is far from done. WDFG sucking up our money for their pass and calling it complimentry is not right. Not getting full credit for the money spent on WDFG pass if we were to buy the discover pass. Then on to the hunting scene, hunters using Capital Forest and who know what else will need the discover pass again with no credit for what they bought when they got there license. Politicians saying they thought what they authorized was $30, not $35. Seems like we are being abused from all sides. I'm thinking this is not what we asked for........then what do I know. So far only one thing I do will be affected as far as I can tell.......annual fishing trip to the estuary of the big C where I usually went out on the Jetty for some surf perch...have to drive through state park to get there and park........So that little excursion is done, I'm puckered up like a prune and no more money will be spent here.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Alpne Dan, bjcarpetguy, red river, westcoastdayton
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 204 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645379 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |