THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76346 - 04/10/03 07:11 PM Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hot of the press! Guess who I thought of after reading this?
HPB and Bri24, thats right..

Well here ya go now you can support the efforts toward re-intruduction efforts... laugh

=========================
Emergency Action to Save America's Wolves
Click here to donate

Dear Friend of Wildlife,

America's wolves are in grave danger!

Interior Secretary Gale Norton has taken the first step to remove federal protections for Northern gray wolves.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife service has just released a rule that dramatically reduces federal protections for wolves and sets the stage for prematurely removing these wolves from Endangered Species Act protections entirely.

This action would literally turn back the clock to a time when government officials actively promoted the wolf's extermination.

Wolves are only beginning to recover from almost a century of slaughter and near extinction in the lower 48 states. Without the Endangered Species Act many wolves have little hope for survival.

That's why I'm asking you to make a tax-deductible emergency donation to Defenders of Wildlife today. And if you make a gift of $25 or more, we'll send you our Defenders howling wolf pup with our thanks.

Many states -- especially those surrounding Yellowstone National Park -- are taking actions that threaten the live of these wolves.

The reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone is considered by many to be one of the greatest wildlife conservation victories of the 20th century.

Now, should Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton, other anti-wolf politicians and special interests prevail, the Yellowstone wolves -- and wolves throughout the U.S. -- could be slaughtered.

We cannot let this happen! Defenders must use every means possible to save America's wolves.

We need your support now to mobilize our grassroots networks, offset the high costs of this campaign to educate the public, stop this action in the courts and step up all our efforts to protect wolves and other endangered wildlife.

Time is of the essence. If we are to save America's wolves, we need the support of caring people like you.

Please send your emergency donation today!

Thank you.

Rodger Schlickeisen

P.S. We are already planning to take legal action to protect America's wolves. Please take a moment to send a donation and sign the online legal letter of support. Your letter will demonstrate the citizen support we need to win in court.

#76347 - 04/10/03 07:13 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had an idea for you two.. Maybe start a Washington Chapter of Wolves Unlimited!

#76348 - 04/11/03 11:06 AM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
what is wrong with re-introduction of wolves? is this more redneck babble or does someone on this bored actually support something good?

#76349 - 04/11/03 11:31 AM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by chappy:
what is wrong with re-introduction of wolves? is this more redneck babble or does someone on this bored actually support something good?
Are you kidding? Well, if you value game animals (deer and elk) it most definitely would be a bad idea. Re-introduction of wolves would be disasterous to the herds. We can't seem to keep our cougars and bears under control in this state, what makes people think that we can with wolves?

#76350 - 04/11/03 12:32 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Redneck babble!!! Bawahahahaha!

Please enlighten me on where the funding will come from for the reintroduction and the maintenance of that...

Maybe you should lead the chapter of Wolf Unlimited? and bri24 and HPB will have someone else to feel all warm and cuddly with.

#76351 - 04/11/03 02:23 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
KNOPHISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN,WA,USA
I'd like to donate some lead. KaBOOM

#76352 - 04/11/03 03:07 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Here's a great explaination from a PhD on why we should not re-introduce wolves. http://www.mtmultipleuse.org/wolfreport.htm

#76353 - 04/11/03 03:16 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
having seen actualy pictures of wolf kills, that my friend actually took himself and having seen the wolves eating on the carcasses of 5 cow elk, all of which only had there stomach areas ripped out and everything else was untouched, and not to mention peoples dogs killed by them, horses tied up outside there trailers killed by them, i would be hesistant to reintroduce them..some benefits might be had on sick and injured animals, but there is a huge predadation prob over in idaho becuz of the wolves..no more elk where there used to be many, same with deer, its like man to screw up something good, or should i say the nez perce tribe to mess it up..

#76354 - 04/11/03 05:12 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

badabing badaboom! great job CWU Girl.. Was over your way a few weeks agao doing a flyfishing show for a few days. next time I get over there you'll have to stop by the coffee shop.

Great point BB75 Love the lead idea also!

#76355 - 04/11/03 06:33 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
I'll donate a box of .30/06 shells.

#76356 - 04/11/03 07:21 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
How about bears?

I think there is a project in the works to reintroduce black bears to the Northwest. I think it was black bears that they said?

#76357 - 04/11/03 07:46 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lead Thrower,,

There are very grave concerns about the Grizzly re-introduction taking place around the southern portions of BC..
It has recieved attention from many officials within the Northern parts of Washington.

I believe our Black Bear populations in Wa. are estimated close to 50,000

#76358 - 04/11/03 07:50 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Oh so they want to reintroduce the Grizzly...

Hum, not sure I like that

#76359 - 04/11/03 08:10 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

BC,, not WA. BC already has many grizzly and they have hunting for them (managment tool) at least they did a year or so ago.

I am not real familiar on why they are putting more grizz down in the southern part of the Province but it has caught the attention of a few around here.

Back to the wolf, here is some legislation that is taking place down in Oregon right now on the Wolf.
A few things that caught my eye when reading this article were the 15% decline and the incline of beaver also the fact that if this is not approved they would want the state to pay for damage, which in turn means the general public.. Maybe they would just take it out of the Wildlife budget? who knows!

Sure wished the wolf lovers on this board would attempt to give a finacial plan for the wolves they want in our state..

===========================

Ranchers could kill gray wolves under Oregon House bill

By PETER PRENGAMAN
The Associated Press
4/8/03 9:25 PM

SALEM, Ore. (AP) -- Environmentalists and ranchers clashed over the future of the gray wolf in Oregon on Tuesday as lawmakers considered a bill to classify the animals as predatory.

Currently the wolves are protected under the Oregon Endangered Species Act, which prevents ranchers from killing a wolf even when it attacks livestock.

The change would allow rural Oregonians who feel threatened by the animal to kill it on sight.

"We don't want our beef to be eaten by the wolf," said Glen Stonebrink from the Oregon Cattlemen's Association. "Even the fondest people of wolves would have to say they are predators."

The animal has been extinct in Oregon for 50 years, but in 1996 the federal government reintroduced it into central Idaho as an experimental species. The wolf population thrived there, causing Oregon ranchers, hunters and rural residents to fear it will soon find a home across the border.

Though there are no known resident wolves in the state, many Oregonians have reported seeing the animal.

But conservation groups say the wolf worries are overblown and largely inaccurate.

Bob Beschta, a retired hydrology professor at Oregon State University, said the wolves gave their environment a boost. He cited independent research he did in Yellowstone Park, where the wolves were also reintroduced.

Though the wolves lowered the elk population by about 15 percent, they also helped other plants and animal species thrive, Beschta said.

For example, more cottonwood trees along river banks were able to grow to full size because fewer elks were chewing off their leaves. That attracted more beavers, animals that also feed off the trees, Beschta said.

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is working on a plan to make the state's endangered species act more consistent with federal laws regarding wolves. Under the federal Endangered Species Act, ranchers can get permits to kill wolves that threaten their livestock, which Oregon's version doesn't allow.

Ron Anglin, an administrator from the fish and wildlife commission, told the Agricultural and Natural Resources Committee Tuesday that the commission had no intention of introducing wolves in the state. But a wolf management program was being developed for when the animals inevitably settled here, he said.

"Why are we looking at a bill to remove wolves when there are none in the state?" Rep. Kelly Wirth, Corvallis Democrat who is a member of the committee, rhetorically asked her colleagues after Anglin's testimony.

Wirth's question is one that many environmentalists have asked when committees in both the House and Senate have debated wolf legislation the past month. Though neither chamber has made any decisions, Democratic Gov. Ted Kulongoski would likely veto any bill passed.

"The governor doesn't support the repeal of the state endangered species act," said spokeswoman Mary Ellen Glynn. "And he doesn't think the wolf should be exempted."

Glynn said Kulongoski supports the management plan currently being drafted by the fish and wildlife commission.

Farmers and ranchers say the process is too slow and too costly.

If the wolf stays on the state endangered species list, the state should have to pay for any livestock attacks," said Greg Addington from the Oregon Farm Bureau.

------

On the Net:

HB3075 http://www.leg.state.or.us/

#76360 - 04/12/03 12:59 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Sounds good to me Driftboater!!

Hey.. I am thinking about invading your duck hunting board. What's your moniker on there??

You guys need serious help to keep from being boring. Well, you are duck hunters...But still! :p

#76361 - 04/12/03 08:37 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

I support bringing back the wolf to their native habitat, myself. Wolves are a part of nature, and before humans came around, they got along just fine with the elk and deer population. Some people seem to think that a population of a few dozen wolves is going to effect the state's deer herds. That's rediculous. What's more, wolves are afraid of humans. Most of the 'wolf' sightings are wolf-dogs (which some people seem to like as pets), or just plain dogs. More deer are killed by cars than by wolves. I don't see anyone advocating putting a lead slug in every car that passes a 'deer crossing' sign just because it might kill a deer. Managing wildlife responsibly includes predators like wolves. What I see a lot of times when people object to wolves or other predators being re-introduced comes across as a lot of greedy game grabbing. "HOW DARE THOSE CANINES EAT _MY_ DEER!"

Feh.

#76362 - 04/12/03 09:16 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Managing wildlife responsibly includes predators like wolves
OK, its wonderful that you feel wolves should be re-introduced.
The question I have been asking all you type and have yet to get any answer. Just how would you finance this endeaver, who should pay for it? how should they pay for it?

Maybe you, Bri88 and HPB could come up with somekind of plan!

I posed a few tax ideas for bring the wolf back on another thread, how about a tofu tax? maybe a special volvo tax, or a organic vegi tax?

CWUGirl,, that board could use a little salt and pepper hope you stop by once in awhile. They need a leader for the Upland Bird forum..

#76363 - 04/12/03 09:27 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

CWUGirl,,,

just in case you forgot the web addy

http://209.15.197.99/html/modules.php?name=Forums

OK, maybe it need a little cajun seasoning instead of some salt and pepper laugh

Its gone through a revamp since the big crash! but is starting to pick back up and will get busy again closer to the fall seasons.

#76364 - 04/12/03 10:05 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Arklier Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by driftboater:
[OK, its wonderful that you feel wolves should be re-introduced.
The question I have been asking all you type and have yet to get any answer. Just how would you finance this endeaver, who should pay for it? how should they pay for it?
It should be paid for by private donations and environmental organizations. There are many more serious threats to cattle, deer, and pets than wolves, mountain lions, or bears. Like cars, for instance. And if you say wolves a threat to people, I will laugh at you. More people are run down on the road than get killed by wolves. Hell, if you read the paper, DOGS kill more people than wolves. If you were REALLY worried about the state of the deer herds, cattle, and pets, then you'd be riding a bicycle to work, wouldn't you?

#76365 - 04/12/03 11:04 PM Re: Help the Wolf! Urgent Donations Needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ahh wonderful!

Environmental groups and private , now your talking!

What happens when those funds run out and the managment costs continue to rise?
Remeber those animals breed and their numbers increase, thus causing more managment which in turn means more mula!

Who's back will fall on then? since we know donations are not a stable source to rely on, what will be the backbone for your funding?

Hey dude,, I am only stating that I am worried about the funding end of things, even though I would have a blast picking through your arguments about the threats these animals have on us, I will spare you and not waste my time with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1089 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |