Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#809000 - 12/21/12 12:19 PM Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
My Lamiglas Dave Vedder 10.5' 8-12 has lost it's tip eye insert so now the eye is just a metal ring. I noticed this when my braid started going furry on me.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank in advance!

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#809001 - 12/21/12 12:26 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
You can change out the tip top.

#809009 - 12/21/12 12:41 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Just the tip, just for a second.

I have a Vedder rod as well and love it. Those guides are SOFT though.

#809013 - 12/21/12 12:52 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Jason, it's a super easy DIY job for anyone with fewer than 10 thumbs. The hardest part might be finding a tip top guide in B'ham that fits your rod. You should be able to look up that rod blank on Lamiglas' website to find the tip diameter size. FYI, it's not a bad idea to keep a few tip tops around the house in common sizes from 4.5 to 6 or 6.5/64ths".

Sg

#809024 - 12/21/12 01:29 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Salmo g.]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Ferrel cement, a lighter, and extra tip top is standard in my tackle bag. Worth carrying an extra that is a size or two too large as well so you can keep fishing after your buddy breaks the top off your rod down a foot or two where your regular tip top is too small. The ferrel cement softens to glue-like consistency when heated with the lighter and hardens when cool.

Here's a quick link for those who have never done it before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUn0SRZT5_0

#809049 - 12/21/12 02:41 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Apparently, Salmo G assumes we still ride in horse drawn carriages up here. We gots us a water treatment plant and purty lights on the street even!

And rod tips.

#809078 - 12/21/12 04:48 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I'd call Lamiglas ..... Give them the rod number, they can fix you up.

Like others have said, a couple of extras tips is good to have and I like the different size bit. I bought some ferrel cement, 40+ years ago...still have the original stick.

Good luck...

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#809083 - 12/21/12 05:17 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: DrifterWA]
coho1234 Offline
Fry

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
I have the exact same rod and did the exact same thing a week ago. Wow, small world. Anyways, my local tackle shop stocks tip tops in all sizes. That particular tip seems to be a generic hardloy kind. Since you are using braid, I recommend that you find a SIC (Silicon Carbide) Tip that matches with it. Otherwise the braid may wear a groove in the eyelet and you run the risk of line breakage when you least expect it.

#809163 - 12/21/12 09:27 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: coho1234]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

AP,

Naw, just that I keep hearing that all the shops in B'man have closed up. Maybe that was just fly shops. Now move along son, and don't bogart that joint, my friend . . .

Sg

#809165 - 12/21/12 09:38 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Jason Beezuz]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezy
My Lamiglas Dave Vedder 10.5' 8-12 has lost it's tip eye insert so now the eye is just a metal ring. I noticed this when my braid started going furry on me.

Thank in advance!

That's not the only Vedder model thats missing an eye! thumbs banana

Edited by cobble cruiser (12/21/12 09:39 PM)

#809171 - 12/21/12 09:49 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: cobble cruiser]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Danny,

You keep up this schizzle I'm gonna sic my cow on ya!

#809178 - 12/21/12 10:06 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Dave Vedder]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Yes sir.

#809191 - 12/21/12 10:25 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA

Thank in advance!

I would have Dave fix it.
Tell him you want a Fuji SiC tip top.
He will probably want to make good on the line as well.

And since it's Christmas time, he may just hand you a brand new backup rod, some floats and jigs.

#809297 - 12/22/12 10:08 AM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Direct-Drive]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
No problem. bring it over. I have a bit of duct tape left from my Christmas wrapping. You bring the beer.

#809316 - 12/22/12 11:02 AM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Dave Vedder]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Thanks for the replies everyone.

So a rod tip guide is called a tip top? Got you.

I have replaced a bunch for those when I broke a tip off a rod. That is easy.

Next, all the shops I have been to want to cut the tip off the rod to replace the tip top. NO THANKS.

So a good shop can get the tip top off without cutting the rod blank?

It is funny because this is my first higher end gear rod after years with cheaper Shimano, Berkley, Eagle Claw and more, and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#809319 - 12/22/12 11:05 AM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Hold a lighter under the tip top and the glue will melt...and you'll have it off in about two seconds after that. Melt a little bit of new glue into the new tip, slip it on and make sure it is on straight, and in about ten seconds you'll be done.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#809323 - 12/22/12 11:26 AM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Todd]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Todd
Hold a lighter under the tip top and the glue will melt...and you'll have it off in about two seconds after that. Melt a little bit of new glue into the new tip, slip it on and make sure it is on straight, and in about ten seconds you'll be done.

Fish on...

Todd

Use pliers as the tip top will be hot.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#809338 - 12/22/12 11:56 AM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Dave Vedder]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
No problem. bring it over. I have a bit of duct tape left from my Christmas wrapping. You bring the beer.

rofl

#809349 - 12/22/12 12:11 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Next, all the shops I have been to want to cut the tip off the rod to replace the tip top. NO THANKS.

Run, don't walk away from those shops.

As mentioned, tip tops are installed with heat-activated glue if done correctly.
The original hot melt glue which is called ferrule cement in the rod building world.

Once you get the old tip top off, scrape any glue residue off the blank with a fingernail.
Then "dry fit" your chosen tip top replacement to verify correct tube size.
No massive wobble, no super tight....you're looking for an easy fit with a bit of room for the glue.

If the tube is large enough in diameter, you can cut a sliver of ferrule cement and drop it into the tube.
Heat the tube which then melts the glue and install.

With smaller tubes, heat the end of the glue stick and apply the molten glue to the rod tip evenly around the tip top area.
Then heat the tip top tube and install.
Leather or a thick glove will provide good control as you dial in proper alignment with the other guides.

#809375 - 12/22/12 01:15 PM Re: Help! Lost Tip Eye Insert On Fav Lamiglas Rod [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: avidangler
I was told to just use super glue when applying a new rod tip. This was from a reputable fishing rod company. Lo and behold it works

Good luck if you have to replace it.
Same goes for epoxy.

There is a reason the ancient tech ferrule cement is still used for the tip top.
Good idea to not wrap/finish at the tip top as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |