THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#815277 - 01/15/13 01:50 PM And so it starts......
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/...n-massacre?lite

Making law abiding citizens into criminals through legislation.

No politician would ever consider confiscation. Yeah right.
"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island told the AP. "And there is no confiscation of weapons, which was at one time being considered.

Under the measure:

•Police would create a registry of assault weapons. Those New Yorkers who already own such weapons would be required to register their guns with the state. Current state law defines assault weapons as having two "military rifle" features, but the proposal would reduce that specification to just one feature and make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor..

First step to confiscate is to register.

•Private sales of assault weapons to people outside the immediate family circle would be subject to a background check and online sales of assault weapons would be banned..

If nobody in the family wants the weapon upon the owner's death, how does the estate get compensated for the sale of the item if transfers are illegal? Is the estate supposed to turn them in?

•Magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. If an owner is found to have eight or more bullets in a magazine, she could face a misdemeanor charge..
Where can I find a 7 round magazine for my Ruger Mk1, or my Springfield XD, or my HK USP, or my High Standard target pistol? Legislating to effectively make ownership and usage illegal should be a crime.

•The proposed measure would require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours..

No issue with this provision.

•The measure would also enshrine a system through which mental health professionals would be required to report to officials when they believe their patients may harm themselves or others. In such cases, police would be allowed to confiscate any guns owned by a potentially dangerous patient.

Somewhat okay with this as proposed, but it may need to be refined somewhat to weed out false reporting.

It will be interesting to see what the US congress comes up with. NY got most of their legislation wrong. It will not achieve their goals.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#815278 - 01/15/13 01:59 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Dogfish]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Time to cowboy up.

#815283 - 01/15/13 02:07 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: ]
c&b Offline
Parr

Loc: Kitsap County
So that I am sure I understand.....
"WE" the people are so concerned about magazines that have a capacity of ten or more, that we are going to make a law to restrict capacity to 7 and give you 1 year to sell those deadly higher capacity magazines to somebody out of state so it can be that states "Problem".......
Just checking......

#815286 - 01/15/13 02:12 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

One other provision that the NY legislature did get entirely right was the protection of privacy for the permitted firearms owners in NY so that the media will no longer be able to print the names of firearms owners and addresses in the paper.

I am fine with legislation that accomplishes the goal of reducing crime, but since Ney York had exactly 5 murders in 2011 committed with rifles, and 160 with knives or other cutting instruments, why would they not include knife registries in their bill?

Again, legislating the sexy item, and not necessarily what really is the issue.

#815287 - 01/15/13 02:12 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: c&b]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Can they make a ten shot magazine legal by putting a plug in it, like we have to do with shotguns when we hunt?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#815291 - 01/15/13 02:24 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Todd]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Looks like we have two choices, either we get rid of assault weapons with high capacity magazines, or we start keeping better tabs on the crazy people who like to use them for the purpose they were designed for.

#815295 - 01/15/13 02:44 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Illahee]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Provisions for magazine limits state specifically that the magazines may not readily be converted to higher capacity, at least that was in the 1994 AWB. I still have 4 ten round HK USP mags, and a few 10 round "20 round" AR mags. Funny thing is, that the 10 round USP mags actually hold 11, the same as the hi-capacity mags.

Illahee,

New York already had a ban on the sale or importation of high capacity magazine made after September 1994. It is currently legal to own a "pre-ban" mag, but since many mags were not marked, how can you tell?

Add to that 5 deaths out of 774 were with rifles. Not "assault rifles", but rifles as a whole. Some of the murders probably were committed with "assault weapons", so even if they all were, they account for 0.65% of all weapons used. Is this legislation really going to be effective, honestly, in your opinion?

The mental health provisions will likely save many more laws than any of the other provisions will.

#815309 - 01/15/13 03:36 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Dogfish]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Everyone that has a clue understands this has nothing to do with safety. The previous "ban" did nothing. NOTHING. This is feel good BS that pols do to say they are doing something. To say they are "protecting the children" or "getting tough on crime". All the while all they do is restrict freedoms and create more power/money/regulations/kickbacks for themselves to collect on.

It is what it is. More people in this country are ready to give up every last freedom for protection than are willing to stand up and say enough is enough.

#815315 - 01/15/13 03:47 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: docspud]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: docspud
Everyone that has a clue understands this has nothing to do with safety. The previous "ban" did nothing. NOTHING. This is feel good BS that pols do to say they are doing something. To say they are "protecting the children" or "getting tough on crime". All the while all they do is restrict freedoms and create more power/money/regulations/kickbacks for themselves to collect on.

It is what it is. More people in this country are ready to give up every last freedom for protection than are willing to stand up and say enough is enough.

And how outraged were you when the last administration used the Constitution for buttwipe?

#815318 - 01/15/13 03:56 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Illahee]
redhook
Unregistered

not really about taking guns, but its about guns...

the NRA is now completely full of sh!t...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/...-violence?lite=

#815326 - 01/15/13 04:13 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Illahee]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: Illahee
Originally Posted By: docspud

And how outraged were you when the last administration used the Constitution for buttwipe?

Me, pretty much disgusted with the implementation of the Homeland Security Administration, and the restrictions on our personal freedoms. I really hate the entrenched parties on both sides.

#815333 - 01/15/13 04:22 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

So how it a target practice application a violent game? Target practice is never a violent affair for me. Hunting, absolutely violent.

Just downloaded it, BTW. thanks!

#815334 - 01/15/13 04:28 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Dogfish]
redhook
Unregistered

never said it was violent, albeit using weapons... i said the NRA is full of sh!t, because a couple weeks ago, they said that video games are part of the problem... then they go and make a video game, in which you can use "assault weapons" for "practice"... what are you practicing? how on dear gods earth, are you "practicing" your shooting skills on a video game?

you arent, its horsesh!t, just like the NRA...

and i play a few "violent" video games, and have yet to shoot or even think about shooting someone unless it was justified and my life was in danger (thought, didnt do)... so again, they are full of sh!t...

if people playing video games, get the wild hair up their ass to go shoot people becasue thats what they were doing on the TV, we are back to square 1, and the only square that needs to be addressed...

they are fvckin nuts, and need help, period...

#815341 - 01/15/13 04:41 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The funny part is that the NRA tells the chumps who send them membership money that it's not guns, it's everything but guns, including movies and video games that glorify gun violence...and then they put out an app where you shoot guns...and not just at targets, or bullseyes, but at COFFINS, you know, the boxes that dead people go in.

Dumbasses. When will the millions of people who send them money realize that the NRA is the gun and ammo industry's political wing and realize that they don't care one bit about you and me?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#815346 - 01/15/13 04:52 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: redhook
never said it was violent, albeit using weapons... i said the NRA is full of sh!t, because a couple weeks ago, they said that video games are part of the problem... then they go and make a video game, in which you can use "assault weapons" for "practice"... what are you practicing? how on dear gods earth, are you "practicing" your shooting skills on a video game?

you arent, its horsesh!t, just like the NRA...

and i play a few "violent" video games, and have yet to shoot or even think about shooting someone unless it was justified and my life was in danger (thought, didnt do)... so again, they are full of sh!t...

if people playing video games, get the wild hair up their ass to go shoot people becasue thats what they were doing on the TV, we are back to square 1, and the only square that needs to be addressed...

they are fvckin nuts, and need help, period...

I think you are projecting just a little too much. I am not a fan of the NRA, just providing a little reality check, as I usually do.

#815347 - 01/15/13 04:56 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Dogfish]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The NRA really likes scared sheepeople.

#815348 - 01/15/13 05:00 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Dogfish]
redhook
Unregistered

Dog, im just getting sick and tired of people blaming other stuff besides the root of the problem... i could kill you just as easy and just as dead at 100 yards away with a 45-120 Sharps, as i could with an 5.56/.223 AR-15... actually, we should push that to 300 yards away... its not the guns, its not the games, its not the media, it surely isnt Obama, its mental health, flat out, plain and simple...

lowering the amount a gun mag can hold, wont do anything either, people will just carry more mags... my dad used to carry a spare mag with the Kimber... why? i dont know, but it was his choice, and you couldnt tell anyways... its really not that hard to do...

they say that mags with a certian number of bullets are more deadly and more dangerous than ones with less....

ive got 1 answer for that horsesh!t right there...

tell that to the nearly 1 million people that died in the Civil War... case closed...

#815349 - 01/15/13 05:07 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Todd]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: Todd
The funny part is that the NRA tells the chumps who send them membership money that it's not guns, it's everything but guns, including movies and video games that glorify gun violence...and then they put out an app where you shoot guns...and not just at targets, or bullseyes, but at COFFINS, you know, the boxes that dead people go in.

Dumbasses. When will the millions of people who send them money realize that the NRA is the gun and ammo industry's political wing and realize that they don't care one bit about you and me?

Fish on...

Todd

Actually they are man shaped/sized targets, not coffins. Did you download it also? The game is best played in a swivel chair. Swing on by the next time you are in the Harbor. We'll shoot some subsonic rounds out of my suppressed AR-15.

#815353 - 01/15/13 05:38 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Dogfish]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
Keerist, the ' let's make some feel good laws' bunch is really stirred up.
But that's normal for the ones that like to call names and so forth.
Fools and dumbchits are their usual banter vocabulary.
I pay my NRA dues and wish I could give them a Million or two.
One of the few organizations that actually does a bit of work in the
courts rather than like some of the citizens, just bitch and moan.
Those of you that are willing to sell your freedoms for a bit of ersatz
security deserve what you get.

Let 'r roll.

#815355 - 01/15/13 05:53 PM Re: And so it starts...... [Re: Illyrian]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
all the talk is about clips but my henery 22 mag holds10 or more shots so is it ok under this law? also do they make a 7 shot clip for a ruger mkIII? mine are all 10 shot

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |