Three Rivers Marine

Page 33 of 39 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#958189 - 06/01/16 02:16 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Larry B]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I have heard that at some professors (and probably a few employees) do not recommend working for WDFW if you are talented.

Using the wayback again, when Curt and I started out one could reasonably aspire to the directorship or other high position as one worked their way up.

How many in leadership positions in WDFW started their careers there versus imports?

Edited by Carcassman (06/01/16 02:17 PM)

#958190 - 06/01/16 03:18 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: The Moderator]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: paker
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
With all the new tools (DNA, etc) why is the model using "dated" data and models fisheries that are not current practice?

I don't think the data is outdated. The tribes or the state has the data. WDFW is outdated on their models/science and seems to be a bit lacking in the ability to get them updated. The talent is there and in place, but generally their ideas are squashed by upper management.

Last I heard the dataset used for forecast modeling was from 1998.

#958192 - 06/01/16 04:24 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
I have heard that at some professors (and probably a few employees) do not recommend working for WDFW if you are talented.

Using the wayback again, when Curt and I started out one could reasonably aspire to the directorship or other high position as one worked their way up.

How many in leadership positions in WDFW started their careers there versus imports?

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Mantra: "Do more with less" very quickly it becomes "Do less with less."

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Not a fun place to be right now in terms of personal fulfillment.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#958203 - 06/01/16 07:46 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Carcassman]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW

Talent makes people nervous, not excited. It makes you a target. That has been my experience in 12 years of working my ass off with pretty much nothing to show for it.

Too many older folks have no clue how fuvked the next generations are. If that shocks you about WDFW than you are straight ignorant because this country is broken.

I would pretty much march into the jaws of death for someone who treated me with respect but they never have and they never will because hard workers are janitors in the eyes of the managing class.

If only they gave those drug tests to the managers. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

And BTW, I am highly educated and always end up doing blind dumb labor that nobody wants to do even if it wasn't what I was hired for simply because I can lift well over 100 pounds.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#958209 - 06/01/16 08:15 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Jason Beezuz]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: Jason Beezy

Talent makes people nervous, not excited. It makes you a target. That has been my experience in 12 years of working my ass off with pretty much nothing to show for it.

Too many older folks have no clue how fuvked the next generations are. If that shocks you about WDFW than you are straight ignorant because this country is broken.

I would pretty much march into the jaws of death for someone who treated me with respect but they never have and they never will because hard workers are janitors in the eyes of the managing class.

If only they gave those drug tests to the managers. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

And BTW, I am highly educated and always end up doing blind dumb labor that nobody wants to do even if it wasn't what I was hired for simply because I can lift well over 100 pounds.

Yes folks we have another WINNER tonight! Read and Weep!

Just collecting my paycheck boss... BTW I know all to well as my best friend/mentor worked for CDF&G for 35+ years and told me he had to hold his nose and thoughts until it made him ill. What a sad statement!

#958210 - 06/01/16 08:27 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
And the saddest part is that many bosses want as their choice employee someone to break the rules with and get drunk with during lunch; someone who won't hold them accountable. They want their employees to be their buddy. This means that the people who get promoted and pulled into the inner circle are the fuvkoffs who are good at posturing but usually are just getting in the way of getting the work done.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#958233 - 06/02/16 08:38 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Pretty good summary there, Paker. The budget cuts at WDFW became a talent windfall for NMFS, and definitely not a good thing for WDFW. I still hear about low morale at WDFW, especially from biologists who took positions at other agencies. I really hope the Commission and Unsworth can turn things around. And turning things around will mean focusing Departmental efforts towards the constituents who pay most of the agency's freight.

#958253 - 06/02/16 11:45 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Salmo g.]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Pretty good summary there, Paker. The budget cuts at WDFW became a talent windfall for NMFS, and definitely not a good thing for WDFW. I still hear about low morale at WDFW, especially from biologists who took positions at other agencies. I really hope the Commission and Unsworth can turn things around. And turning things around will mean focusing Departmental efforts towards the constituents who pay most of the agency's freight.

Succinct!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#958255 - 06/02/16 11:51 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I don't know if it has changed, but at least in the 2000-10 period the State did an annual survey of agency morale. WDFW was consistently among the lowest 2 or 3 agencies. Don't know if they have continued the surveys or if the performance has changed.

#958262 - 06/02/16 12:43 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Jason Beezuz]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: Jason Beezy
And the saddest part is that many bosses want as their choice employee someone to break the rules with and get drunk with during lunch; someone who won't hold them accountable. They want their employees to be their buddy. This means that the people who get promoted and pulled into the inner circle are the fuvkoffs who are good at posturing but usually are just getting in the way of getting the work done.

You must be a real hoot at the company parties. I don't know what industry in which you work but based on your posts, I'd make a change.

#958271 - 06/02/16 02:00 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

When I was growing up my parents' work groups had many office parties, picnics, and get-togethers. Attendees were everyone from the agency director on down. As many were at our house, as kid (10) I attended, met, and conversed with them.

Now? or at least in my work time over the last few decades, I would not even attend an avoidable social function where leadership also attended. Something very basic seems to have changed in the manner in which folks interact on the job.

#958358 - 06/03/16 04:50 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
Talked to Fisheries at DFW this afternoon, still no word on hte NOAA permit, guy said "Call toward the end of next week". Tofino, anyone??

#958553 - 06/08/16 10:53 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Still no word from NOAA as of Weds AM.

#958556 - 06/08/16 11:54 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

When would the next tribal fishery requiring a permit begin? That may give you an idea of when NOAA will get the permit done.

#958557 - 06/08/16 12:02 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Saw a news clip from WDFW that suggested sometime like 6/24 or so.

#958573 - 06/08/16 03:15 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: wsu]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Originally Posted By: wsu
When would the next tribal fishery requiring a permit begin? That may give you an idea of when NOAA will get the permit done.

Tulalip has been netting the bay 5 days a week every week since the BIA gave the go ahead. In fact, nets are in right now as I type this.
I want to be a fisherman.

#958577 - 06/08/16 04:24 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

CARcassman---got a link to that DFW prediction???

#958579 - 06/08/16 04:58 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Terry -
Saw it Mark Yuasa"s 6/7 Seattle Times article.

GLU -
Do you know what they boundaries are for the tribal Bubble fishery?

Local residents are telling me that they are fishing out to Priest Point (outside of the bubble area for the recreational fishers.

Curt

#958598 - 06/08/16 07:31 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Need to remember how a tribe defines "fishing". When HC coho were an issue, an area around the mouth of Big Beef Creek was closed to fishing by both the state and tribes. But, at least one tribe defined fishing as "working the gear". In this case, a gill net could drift through the closed area but as long as the fisherman did nothing but let it drift he wasn't fishing.

The devil is in the details.....

#958600 - 06/08/16 08:32 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Page 33 of 39 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 38 39 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |