LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#969928 - 12/17/16 08:36 AM Swinging Flys w/ No Hook?
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Had idea, it might be stupid? But looking for the legality of fishing w/out hooks on some of my intruder patterns on closed waters. Was thinking of spending some time skill honing on my local river this coming late winter when some nice nate Steelhead used to be around. I say used to, because it hasn't been open to fish for years. So, if I were to swing some hookless flys to practice on my closed local river would I get a ticket? I am thinking I still could get a tug, but w/o hooking up, at the same time build confidence that i'm doing things right. I've only been swinging flys for Steelhead for 6 years, caught a couple, but still have lots to learn.
I became hooked Spey swinging in 2010, on a trip to the legendary Dean R. BC. A friend couldn't make it and asked me to take his spot. What a place to go to swing for the very 1st time. Multiple hookups every day. Spoils you quick, but inspired me to do it here.
I know it sounds crazy, but driving to the coast every time to make a few casts is crazy also and I need the practice, casting, playing around w/ tips, reading productive water, and also scouting for the day it may reopen. Thoughts?

#969933 - 12/17/16 10:55 AM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I've thought about this before for lure testing, tuning and design and I wouldn't do it. If you do, you better not have ANY hooks on your person or within access (like in your vehicle). Expect to be fully searched, harrassed and given a stern talking to. I'd also expect to get a ticket and go to court. If I where you, I'd go down to the local WDFW office, talk with an Officer and get it in writing. Basically....hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Good luck,

#969935 - 12/17/16 11:01 AM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Pretty sure people teach Fly casting on closed PS streams.

#969940 - 12/17/16 02:28 PM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Yarn yes...amputated flies...questionable? But I don't offically know - just cautioning.

#969943 - 12/17/16 04:35 PM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
A real stickler might get you for harassing fish, especially listed fish. If the fish strikes it wa responding to the fly, even a hookless one. You might be able to talk the Judge out of it but it could be a lot like DWB; you'll get stopped and thoroughly searched.

Like Nick said, go talk to the local enforcement guys. It may work if you get their ok and let them know when and where you'll be,

I do know that one time we were fishing for the agency and had some agents out looking for us... Communication and transparency are good things.

#969946 - 12/17/16 07:01 PM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

I would highly not recommend casting a hook less fly on closed waters, most wardens would frown upon this. If you were to cast a fly in this situation I'd make sure it was a undesirable presentation to the river bound fish at the time. I attend some of the clinics and end of the months meet and greets on the Sky when I have nothing else going on and 95% of the people who attend use yarn and for the guys just learning with Skagit heads we'll double the yarn up for them

#969948 - 12/17/16 07:07 PM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Couldn't you just ask those that would give you a ticket what they would do before you do it? It's a phone call away.

#969951 - 12/17/16 09:39 PM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Call the ticket toters and get their opinion. If you are cited it will get tossed out of court in fairly short order, but taking it that far is more grief than you want to deal with.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#969956 - 12/18/16 07:48 AM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
If you are in a visible place you would get multiple calls to the law for poaching and then take their time away from more important things.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#969959 - 12/18/16 10:27 AM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Call WDFW LE before doing it. Tell them where and when you want to practice. They really hate responding to calls unnecessarily. Then you would be as legal as the various fly casting lessons and Spey Claves that are and have been held on several rivers. As to hookless flies, that is what the casters at Occupy Skagit used during the demonstrations. I had my collection of hookless flies inspected by a LE agent before "fishing." It was a fun day a couple years ago when I had about a half dozen hits from bull trout that were chasing down pink salmon fry at Rockport. A couple of the fish held on to the fly for a couple seconds before letting the fraud be pulled away.

#970741 - 01/01/17 07:07 PM Re: Swinging Flys w/ No Hook? [Re: RUNnGUN]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I don't like phone calls.......send an email, get an answer by email. If push comes to shove........written word MUCH better than verbal word..

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |