THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#983531 - 01/12/18 10:34 PM I have a DREAM....
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Well mebbe not me personally... but at least Blake does.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=2417&Year=2017#documentSection

Wonder who's gonna produce these 10 million kings? Are the eggs just gonna rain down from Heaven by the good graces of the Fairy Godmother? Mebbe he's counting on the Easter Bunny?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#983532 - 01/12/18 10:35 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

HB 2417 - DIGEST

Creates the legislative task force on the recovery of southern resident orcas to gather evidence and make recommendations regarding the recovery of the orcas.

Makes an appropriation from the general fund to the department of fish and wildlife to increase hatchery production of Chinook salmon and other salmon by ten million fish per year.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#983547 - 01/13/18 11:13 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I have a dream too. That most of these would be used to establish a viable run of Hatchery spring Chinook, from the Chehalis stock, into the Skookumchuck. Not sure if would work, but the rest could go to doing the same thing with the white river stock in the Green (king county). I would love the chance to fish for some springers in a smaller river. The Green of the Toutle never got that many but was fun while it lasted. Oregon has a few small stream runs left and they are a blast to fish.
It would be interesting to see if there is a study that indicates the time of year and areas where the orcas are running into the most trouble finding fish. I personally question shoving most of these fish into the Columbia system is the best way to help the Orca's.

Edited by Krijack (01/13/18 11:14 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#983549 - 01/13/18 11:44 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: Krijack]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Krijack
I

It would be interesting to see if there is a study that indicates the time of year and areas where the orcas are running into the most trouble finding fish. I personally question shoving most of these fish into the Columbia system is the best way to help the Orca's.

Good questions! My understanding is that the Frazer River Chinook have been a primary source and secondarily Puget Sound Chinook. Southern WA coast/CR????

But at least they are proposing GF money although a State study would seem redundant to Federal actions/responsibilities. How about the Feds look at how northern fisheries are impacting P.S. returns relative to both Orcas and WA's ESA listed salmonids and effect some positive recovery actions.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#983551 - 01/13/18 12:06 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#983556 - 01/13/18 02:32 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Release the smolts and the seals still eat them, BC and AK will still catch them. If he is truly serious about this helping whales and not just a backdoor way to increase fisheries than include a section that no WA-based fishery can harvest ANY of these fish until, as adults, they have passed where the whales can access them.

#983557 - 01/13/18 02:34 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...

I believe Chinook output from WA hatcheries is off roughly 60% since about 1985 so this proposed legislation is a start if the goal is to have more returning fish all factors considered.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#983560 - 01/13/18 03:18 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
IMHO the quickest boost to the Orcas would be to limit northern interception. Rather not wait for three to five years for the hatchery production to ramp up. 2cents

#983561 - 01/13/18 03:28 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Here's a 5 yr snapshot of what was going on a decade ago...

And here's a broader 12 yr span.... same smell.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#983563 - 01/13/18 03:38 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: Krijack]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Originally Posted By: Krijack
I have a dream too. That most of these would be used to establish a viable run of Hatchery spring Chinook, from the Chehalis stock, into the Skookumchuck. Not sure if would work, but the rest could go to doing the same thing with the white river stock in the Green (king county). I would love the chance to fish for some springers in a smaller river. The Green of the Toutle never got that many but was fun while it lasted. Oregon has a few small stream runs left and they are a blast to fish.

I really like this idea!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#983564 - 01/13/18 04:02 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
70-80% Salish Sea Chinook are traded to Canada for Alaskan take of Canadian stocks?

For sure, the US/Canada Treaty needs to be reformed!

#983565 - 01/13/18 04:21 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
WDFW mind set....NO hatchery springers will be raised to go into the Chehalis system.

Many years ago, about 35, some members of Grays Harbor Chapter of North West Steelheaders, had the idea of using a pond up by the Skookumchuck Dam to raise "spring salmon". I remember Tom Pentt, 2 members of the Chehalis Tribe and myself drove to the "holding ponds" below the dam. I don't remember exactly what happen but the ponds ended being used to raise Coho for the Puget Sound area, end of any chance for Springers in the Chehalis drainage.

Chehalis Tribe had a program to raise Springers but it never got off the ground......

I'd love to have a chance for a Chehalis springer, again, but wild run has trouble making escapement.

Oh, Qin and Chehalis tribes does/can net on them.....Chehalis Tribe does not report any catch figures to Region 6.......grrrrrrrr

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#983572 - 01/13/18 06:23 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: slabhunter]
River Nutrients

If, in fact, it is the goal of NOAA to stop the Killer Whale decline then closing the northern interceptions is the best and fastest was yo do it. It will provide fish in Year-1. The hatchery proposal, even if works, will take 3 years from first egg-take to show a benefit, if the interceptions in ALL fisheries of the new production are held to 0. Which is faster than the benefit from any habitat work.

Which leads me to conclude that the Killer Whales can just go die.

#983573 - 01/13/18 06:58 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: Carcassman]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

Which leads me to conclude that the Killer Whales can just go die.

They're trying!

On paper, I'd be happy with 10MM kings...if it weren't for Northern interception. Why should we waste even more of our tax dollars further propping up BC and AK fisheries?

#983618 - 01/14/18 05:57 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

MY DREAM. Restart up the South PS Blackmouth delayed release program out of Capital Lake! 10 million a year out of there would have enough fish to feed the the Orcas, Recs, Tribes and any commercial entity! Clean it up to make it work. Make the dead zone a live zone again! F the wild fish competition argument and ESA BS. If you do it from the end of the sound some will stay some will leave North, but then at least all PS participants will get a crack at them. I will admit I am selfish. The way it exists now I have to go north to Everett and the San Juans for any viable winter success. F that! Why is it so good there? Because they put the numbers up there! I want what it used to be back in the 80's here South of the Narrows. All it ever takes is planting the numbers. Lets make South PS the Salmon Capital of the World envisioned by Bill Wilkerson, Norm Dicks, and all the dudes that had a vision for that back when. Flame on!

#983627 - 01/14/18 07:55 PM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
While we're dreaming, hell yeah I'd get on board with that RUNnGun!

But upon awakening, it looks a lot like the deck is stacked against those whales that don't have enough sense to switch away from salmon over to harbor seals. . .and us humans who like salmon too are pretty screwed.

fb

#983642 - 01/15/18 07:05 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

There are already populations of Killer Whales that eat pinnipeds just fine. They are our transient stocks. They are at least behaviorally different, have different language, and are quite possible biologically different species. As has been shown in other KW populations, especially in the Antarctic.

#983647 - 01/15/18 07:52 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I wonder why the big hoopla la between Chinook and Killer Whales? Sure, it is what it is, a food source. If all the Chinook were gone you think they would stop searching for food? They're not so stupid that they would starve because no kings to eat. They move to the next best thing. Seals, Coho, Pinks etc. A few years ago KW were in Dyes Inlet feasting on a big return of Chum. Also some rouge KW went into Hood Canal and wreaked havoc on an excessive population of Seals there. They are opportunists like most other predators in nature. I think they deserve a little more credit than they get.

Edited by RUNnGUN (01/15/18 07:58 AM)

#983648 - 01/15/18 08:01 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I thought that there's two kinds of Orcas. Salmon eaters and seal eaters. Sound Orcas are salmon eaters. The ones that you see eating seals are transient pods from Cali that sometimes move into our area. I wish they would visit more often. At least that's my understanding - could be wrong....

#983652 - 01/15/18 08:24 AM Re: I have a DREAM.... [Re: eyeFISH]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
No that's correct (the current level of understanding on the two populations of orcas we see in the Salish sea). I think once the resident population gets stressed enough, it'll broaden its appetite to preserve some herd genetics. It's just tough to watch the short term consequences (lots of dead starved whales) of decreased carrying capacity due to not enough fish.

What's the path forward to some discussion on limiting the northern intercept fisheries impacts? Just starting the discussion would be helpful.

fb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |