Quote:
Reading the history, it makes me wonder about previous posts
that stated the Department did not think the Skookumchuck dam would
effect springers. I still think that would be a prefect place to plant springers.

Actually that was old WDF and mitigation for Springers was not required because Region 6 staff stated the dam was to have a tri level discharge creating ideal conditions for Springers and a " vibrant " fishery. Several other measures also and one was a separation wier that was not done or given up on, I do not remember which. They even moved Skook salmon mitigation construction and rearing funds and all to the East Satsop at Simpson Hatchery. ( now Bingham ) That was stopped years back by citizen activist mostly from the upper basin. Kinda sounds like the Wynoochee Mit thing the agency is pushing through don't you think? Some things never change.

Old game got a conditioning pond for steelhead near the dam but most of the funds went to another facility. Locals said paving and landscape at Chambers Cr but one of those things that never had much conversation that I was around taking place.

One last thing. When the Dam went in HS thought a Springer hatchery program linked to mitigation would work. Years later shooting the breeze over some Chehalis things he said he was OK with not having the program but still called BS on Region 6 thoughts. In the end it was simply that the natural population was to small and fragile to support the harvest that would come with hatchery production and damage the natural production in other Chehalis tributaries. You see he had seen it before with Hood Canal Chum and it was a lesson learned.

Edited by Rivrguy (04/19/20 06:54 PM)