I actually think the low prices for wild steelhead, both in the market, and what the tribes are getting, reflect some awareness of the public that eating wild steelhead is not a good thing. Geez, there already selling the fish for a buck or two less per lb then the farms are selling triploid rainbows.

And look at how the markets talk up the wild kings when they come into season (Columbia R., Alaska, Copper R.), yet steelhead are sold in only a few select areas.

I think the pressure put on by individuals and groups are working. Although I don't keep tabs on prices, I seem to recall the .70 per lb price has been around for a number of seasons, meaning price and demand are pretty stagnant. I've also only seen steelhead sold during the winter; haven't seen summer steelhead for sale. I actually wonder where a lot of the steelhead is going, since it only shows up in the markets for a short time during the winter.

As for paying the tribes not to fish; this is something they have never been receptive too. They want to keep their treaty fishing rights.

Bottom line, continuing to educate the public will keep prices and demand down to hopefully a point where it just isn't worth catching enough fish for the market.