Quote:
Originally posted by B-RUN STEELY:

" Sitting back and basking in what"... Elkrun, that was stupid, and you don't seem to be.

Your right, there are a bunch of fish hung up in nets right now. If your not willing to stop killing them, why should they ????
I try not to be stupid, hopefully it works sometimes.

read my other posts B-run, I released nates before it was fashionable or politically correct.... back in the 80's along the puyallup where WSR has been a dismal failure. Haven't killed a nate in 24 years intentionally anyway. I live on the OP. I fish on the OP, I dont have the passion for steelheading I once had. It became to trendy, too crowded, and to generally depressing. I watched the Puyallup go from a great winter steelhead fishery to nothing, under the "protection" of WSR. I am not against it on a Stream by stream basis, IF it is the real problem. All that I see being accomplished is to create opportunity for a larger tribal harvest. IF numbers were to go up, their "half" goes up too... so really it turns out to be a lot of spinning your wheels so to speak. We also have given the WDFW liscense to create other blanket regulations in the future.... hell we proposed one on ourselves, why should they force one on us later. I dont like it when opportunity to fish goes bye-bye. It becomes harder to get it back again.

Sparky asks what I suggest people do next. Its simple. If you feel that strongly about saving the nates, stop fishing when they are running! Put up or shut up I guess. Fish your a$$ of for the brats, then voluntarily put the rods away in march and april..... if you really care about the fish . WSR is a token rule change at best, and most likely not going to a measurable difference except to divide an already divided user group. Nets and habitat are the only things that once changed will make a real difference. By the way, Since I have lived on the OP, I haven't fished one time for steelhead in April. If that's stupid, so be it.